What's new

Gillette Bleue Extra - How many shaves?

In my search for a replacement for my beloved Super Iridiums, I stumbled across the Gillette Bleue Extra and found that it is a worthy (if similarly scarce) replacement. However, in my first few blades I've seen some variability in how many shaves I can expect. So...

How many do you get from them on average? (I know, I know - YMMV)

Keeping with the YMMV theme, please let me know a couple of other points of information:
  • How many passes do you normally do?
  • Heavy beard, light beard, medium?
  • Sensitive skin?

I get six, like all the other blades I've experimented with. Unlike many of those other blades, I'm not sure the GBE could go any longer than that. I do 3 passes plus touchups every day but Sunday. I have a medium beard and smooth skin with low sensitivity.

I love these blades, and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying them. You'd better stock up while the getting's good and the price is right!

Done 5 so far, the 6th will be tomorrow (we'll see how that goes....). Overall sharpness seems to diminish after the 3rd shave, but still pretty much usable so far.

3 passes, heavy beard, normal skin.

Done 5 so far, the 6th will be tomorrow (we'll see how that goes....). Overall sharpness seems to diminish after the 3rd shave, but still pretty much usable so far.

3 passes, heavy beard, normal skin.

Sixth shave went well, but it was in ideal conditions (4 days growth, yikes!). I must fix the above statement, I usually do 3.5 passes, the last half pass is ATG in the harder to get areas.

I will reserve further testing for a more realistic scenario, shaving every other day. I have to agree there is some variability, some blades seem to fade a lot after the 4th shave, this one seems like it could go on to the 7th, but I won't try it :lol:.

4-6 shaves, have also noticed a lot of variability...

1 Pass WTG with touch up XTG.

<snippage> I have to agree there is some variability, some blades seem to fade a lot after the 4th shave, this one seems like it could go on to the 7th, but I won't try it :lol:.

I haven't used them very long, but I have been impressed by their smoothness. It's the variability that I was wondering about and your experiences confirm that I need to be more aware of how each individual blade is performing to avoid pushing past reasonable usability.

Thanks!

sorry to hijack this thread.............but has anyone tried this blade on a EJ de89lbl? I read somewhere that this wasnt a good combination due that this razor is mild and the blade too.

thanks!

Last edited:
sorry to hijack this thread.............but has anyone tried this blade on a EJ de89lbl? I read somewhere that this wasnt a good combination due that this razor is mild and the blade too.

thanks!

These are fantastic blades(get the NOS while you can), but in my experience work better in a more aggressive razor then a DE89L. I have a very dense coarse beard and though there is nothing wrong with the shave itself ( works better then a mach3 or fusion), largely because the weight of the razor makes up for the mildness of the blade exposure.

But I prefer to use Gillette yellow 7 o'clock SharpEdge in the De89L and prefer to use the Gillette Bleue Extra blades in a rocket or Tech.YMMV.

Top Bottom