What's new

Gillette Aristocrat Disassembly

Very interesting indeed! I got the razor and assessed the plating and then contacted Chris. We hashed out the details and made the decision to send in the lower portion only. I had to disassemble it anyways to make some repairs to it so it worked out great, as far as the replating work went. Chris was able to do each piece individually. I think he chemically masked the original baseplate and then replated the handle. Saved Jimmy some coin and did a splendid Job! Chris explained how he "fixed" the knurling and my hat is off to him! Fixing knurling like this is certainly intricate and laborious work.

My hat is off to both of you. [emoji106]

It looks absolutely stunning, and the rhodium replate does look the same as the original. [emoji6]

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow! That is astounding work! I could not tell that only a partial replate job on that razor, and I shudder to think what knurling restoration is like.

When Chris E. let me know what he did on my razors and the meticulous care he gave them, I was stunned. I figured it was a matter of stripping and plating and . . . bingo! Oh, no. So much more work is involved. My hat is off to both of y'all, Chris and Cap!

Here is your NO. 16, @JimmyTheChooch. Chris did an excellent job of making the Rhodium look identical to the factory finish. He also did some very delicate surgery on the knurling to repair them tooling marks that were there previously. That man is an absolute master!

Enjoy:smile:
View attachment 554187View attachment 554189View attachment 554190View attachment 554191

I am literally speechless. I knew that it was gonna look nice but...wow! You two fine gentlemen are, quite simply, the best. I can't believe Mr. Evatt fixed and replated the handle to look that good. It's incredible.
Cap, you do the finest work and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work and fix-it skills. Straighten this, tweak that, dissassemble this, clean that, and then put it all back together just like new. There is no one better. Thank you so much.
I can't wait to get it wet and have my first shave with it. :thumbup:

Is there hope for this silver plated British Aristocrat Pat. 400621? The teeth seem bent quite a bit and the general advice is to leave rather than risk breaking them off. Doors are misaligned as well. The blade gap seems quite big and with a blade in looks and feels like it will be aggressive. Feels like it has a lot of blade exposure - the blade is almost flat in the razor. Possibly due to doors not closing as they should.

I did the baking soda + alu foil soak which helped a lot. I soaked it and it was cleaner, nice and silver in places, then I soaked it again using the same piece of foil and it's almost like it got a bit more yellow the 2nd time. Should probably have used a fresh piece of foil, but it was all I had. I'll try again when I have more foil.

$IMAG0150.jpg$IMAG0152.jpg$IMAG0155.jpg$IMAG0157.jpg

Last edited:
You might want to contact CAP once he is back on the forums.
I do not know when that would be, but I would speculate some time this month.

Hi Cap

I've got myself a 1934 open comb gillette aristrocrat that does not have the retaining washer. Are you able to replace it or have another way to restore the razor?

It seems as though the Aristocrats have really jumped in popularity around here! About 95% of my incoming requests have been some kind of aristocrat model! Good stuff gents, y'all are keeping my skills very sharp!

Top Bottom