What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum (Russia)

Just finished a first shave with a 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum loaded in a Fatboy Executive. Very nice. Smooth, efficient, comfortable shave. The closest to it is the Gillette Silver Blue also out of St. Petersburg. I can see how people might think they are the same. Maybe they are. I would need to do blind tests to be sure. If I had to wager a difference, I'd say that the 7 O'Clock Blues are perhaps a tad sharper, and the GSBs are a tad smoother. But I'm not a very good judge of absolute sharpness as I have light, easy to cut facial hair.

But these are definitely good, first tier blades, which are sadly unavailable. I'll try to use it for a few more shaves. I might even violate my own rules about three and out and try going to four shaves.

I also have the Czech version of the same blade to try out thanks to a kind PIF from xillion.

Is there a list of first tier blades somewhere on the site? I would love to know what ranks as first tier of the blades I use.

Where in the tier system do Astra Superior Platinum rank?

If you like it and would pay more for it, it's first tier for you. If not, it's lower tier.

However, judging by what people say on this forum and price, I would say that of those blades which tend to cost over $20 per hundred, you often hear Feathers, Gillette Silver Blues, 7 O'Clock Blacks, Blues, Iridium Super, Polsilver, Gillette Platinum, and Personna Med Preps mentioned quite often.

Astra SPs and Personna Lab Blues or Israeli Personnas tend to get favored among the blades that cost around $14 and under in the US.

Voskhods, Rapiras, Indian Permasharp, 7 O'Clock Yellows, and a number of others are in between those two in price and also get favorable mention a lot.

However, for each of the blades I've mentioned there are a contingent of people who dislike them intensely or find them mediocre. So it's impossible to have a true master list of premium blades.

I personally favor Shark SS, Astra SP, and Personna Lab Blues for the budget blades and until the 7 O'Clock Blue today, had not found any premium ($20 or greater) blade worth the money except for GSBs. As usual YMMV.

Is there a list of first tier blades somewhere on the site?...

Only in people's minds. There is no shortcut here. Just simply buy a large sampler and decide yourself. Even then, as technique improves one may revisit a blade they disliked before to discover it is really far better than thought.

Is there a list of first tier blades somewhere on the site?
Only in people's minds. There is no shortcut here. Just simply buy a large sampler and decide yourself. Even then, as technique improves one may revisit a blade they disliked before to discover it is really far better than thought.
If you like it and would pay more for it, it's first tier for you. If not, it's lower tier.
Exactly my song.

I've long since settled on what works best for me, but kept trading the term, which bade me ask the question. Thank you, gentlemen. :)

Top Bottom