What's new

Gillette 1934 Aristocrat and New LC Differences

Any difference in the quality, feel or comfort of the shave? The real question is since I have a New LC is there a potential benefit to getting an 1934 Aristocrat? I'm not into collecting razors so this is about getting an even better shave than what I already get from the New that I really like. Thanks.

You ain't need no stinking Aristocrats - that would be a step backwards.
Enjoy your NEW - one of the best Gillette razors. If you want to bring it to another level however explore the NEW Deluxe and the NEW RFB type of razors!
Bon voyage!

I've never been able to get a comfortable shave with my '34 Aristocrat. Though I prefer the Old Type, I get great shaves with my short comb NEW, and my NEW Deluxe.

I get a really good shave from my 34 Aristocrat, and I think it's probably the best looking razor I have. However, I wouldn't say the shave it gives is better than from my various English News. Because the 'crat is a TTO the feel is a bit different, but better, not really. If I had to give a "best shave" crown to any of them, it would be the RFB.

Hi,

I have used NEWs on and off for decades. US SC and LC and the Brit RFB. I only recently acquired a 34 Aristocrat, and so might need a bit more time to fully understand how it shaves. But, that said, it isn't working all that well. I get DFS with two passes (WTG ATG) but there is noticeably greater area where I can feel stubble left in the ATG direction compared to the SC and the LC.

It is a prettier razor than the NEWs and I will be keeping it and using it now and then. But I have to think that perhaps a gold NEW Deluxe would have been a better choice than the Aristocrat. Then, I could have my Pretty and my NEW too....

Stan

You ain't need no stinking Aristocrats - that would be a step backwards.
Enjoy your NEW - one of the best Gillette razors. If you want to bring it to another level however explore the NEW Deluxe and the NEW RFB type of razors!
Bon voyage!

But they are beautiful, aren't they?:tongue_sm

proxy.php

Hi,

I have used NEWs on and off for decades. US SC and LC and the Brit RFB. I only recently acquired a 34 Aristocrat, and so might need a bit more time to fully understand how it shaves. But, that said, it isn't working all that well. I get DFS with two passes (WTG ATG) but there is noticeably greater area where I can feel stubble left in the ATG direction compared to the SC and the LC.

It is a prettier razor than the NEWs and I will be keeping it and using it now and then. But I have to think that perhaps a gold NEW Deluxe would have been a better choice than the Aristocrat. Then, I could have my Pretty and my NEW too....

Stan

A NEW DeLuxe is a more efficient shaver than a '34, yet the latter is beautiful indeed, IME, IMHO. However, you can get a great shave with the Aristocrat... with the proper blade and the proper technique.

Anyway, I like them all....

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I think it depends on user preference and technique. I find my NEW long comb and the RFB to both offer OK shaves but nothing special. The '34 and #15 Aristocrats when paired with a sharp blade (Feather or Kai) offer very close, comfortable shaves no problem but the height of the TTO heads makes maneuvering a tad tricky. Still they are amazing razors. The pinnacle, for me (YMMV), are the Bulldogs and the NEW DeLuxe's (Take your pick... Standard, Criterion/Belmont, Big Boy, or Tuckaway). They are insanely aggressive and shave closer than anything other razor I own but if you lose focus it can end badly! Honestly, I have decided that any Gillette that rocks that barber pole knurling is a pretty awesome shaver so... Get a Bulldog and don't look back! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Did you look at thread title at all or just felt the urge to slide the photos in here? :lol:
The thread title is about a comparison between the '34 Aristocrat and the NEW LC. Yes - I did read it.

That is why I posted pics of a US '34 Aristocrat and its British cousins (the #15, #16 and #22). I feel the difference between the Brits and the US NEW LC is smaller than the one between the '34 and the NEW LC.

I'm sorry if this intention did not come thru in my post. Because of my great respect for this site and its members I always try to be on topic.

The thread title is about a comparison between the '34 Aristocrat and the NEW LC. Yes - I did read it.

That is why I posted pics of a US '34 Aristocrat and its British cousins (the #15, #16 and #22). I feel the difference between the Brits and the US NEW LC is smaller than the one between the '34 and the NEW LC.

I'm sorry if this intention did not come thru in my post. Because of my great respect for this site and its members I always try to be on topic.

I'm late to the game here but @bosseb you can always post these pictures of yours in any thread...as far as I'm concerned. :001_wub:

I had the hardest time getting a good shave from my 34'. I do agree with the ones who mentioned the Raised Flat Bottom. It is the smoothest NEW I own. It is the King of shavers.

King_Francis'_Coronation.gif

I doubt you'll get a better shave with the Aristocrat. It's a much fancier razor with a much higher price tag (both then and now). Beautiful to look at, but I find it easier to get a closer shave with the NEW LC. It feels more nimble to me, probably because of its simple 3-piece design and lesser weight.

I know you said 1934 Aristocrat, but if you're not set on that year, the late-30s Aristocrats were nearly identical, and their heads were the same heads used on the less-expensive Sheraton (gold) and even less-expensive Senator (nickel). You could pick up a late '30's Senator for a fraction of what a '34 Aristocrat would cost. Nearly identical open comb TTO head.

Top Bottom