What's new

Gibbs No 15/17 Brass head w/ Chrome coating (and rarer Personna Precision)

29 minutes after the post, I can't edit it.
So I precise that I translated in French, using pictures, and published on a french forum, with the permission of the author.

The posts here ae B&B on the Gibbs are really wonderful, this will be my first time (i think) entering the conversation.

I have the Gibbs 15/17 for many years and even though I've enjoyed the shaves like everyone the blade makes the razor a pain/bothersome to use on a regular bases. So about 10 years ago I had modified one of my Gibbs by having 2 blade posts put on the base plate to hold the blade in place and evenly (like any DE razor and including the Personna). The only thing I had to do was cut the ends down a drop. I had a 2nd Gibbs modified the same way 5 years ago by Captain Murphy a member here on B&B.

This modification made the Gibbs sing and now it became the best adjustable razor in the world, but it still needed some modification. So I had 2 machinists make for me 2 handles that they screwed up. The only thing good that came out of their work was that 2 long end knobs worked. So I was using the Gibbs with the original plastic and the new Bell end knob. The new end knob lengthened the handle by 8mm and gave t some weight.

It was 5-6 months ago that I found Claudio who has done wonders for my Gibbs. First I purchased 2 handles and a few additional special order male/female extension screws. Then I sent Claudio my 2 imperfect handles to creatively rework so they would function on the Gibbs (I took full responsibility if the projects failed and the handles were rendered useless, as they were already useless.

Attached is one of my Gibbs with the modification, Gibbs handle, a few Claudio handles, one of my own creation handles reworked by Claudio (There is one more handle that is being worked on).

The last photo is the handle and end attachment knob I use (Bell end knob)
Gibbs modified.jpg
Gibbs H 6.jpg
Gibbs H.jpg
Gibbs H 2.jpg
Gibbs H 7.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about sending Accutec (Current maker of Personna Lab Blues and Med Preps) an email about notching their blades. Probably would be an unsuccessful endeavor but there’s no harm in trying. If anything, they might save a little bit of material but not sure how difficult it would be for them to make that modification. They’d make a lot of us happy. They are just a few hours away from me also so I like supporting a local guy.

I just use scissors to trim the blade ends which works pretty well, just love the idea of something simpler. I just love these so much, I just deal with it but it is worth it.

I just sent Accutec this email. I’ll let everyone know if I get any response. Again, can’t hurt to try, not like I’m trying to contact Gillette or anything so they might in the very least, read it.

“Hello,

As you may be aware, many of us double edged traditional face shavers enjoy both your Comfort Coated DE blades (60-257-4/Nicknamed the Personna Lab Blue) and Hospital Prep DE blades (74-0002/Nicknamed Personna Med Preps) to shave with daily.

Within what we call our Wet Shaving Community, a large segment of us use vintage razors. Some of these razors, namely the old Gibbs razors, require a modification of modern DE blades by either hole punching or trimming the DE end tabs because the original Gibbs DE blades for those intended razors had small notches on the end tabs.

I was wondering if your company would consider cutting those additional small notches on the tabs during production. It would not affect the quality of your blade, you would have a small amount of material left over from each cut and would increase your customer base of those of us in both the US and European countries where the old Gibbs razors were and continue to be very popular.

I would be more than happy to provide a picture of the old Gibbs blade and actually provide blades to you as an example of the small notches for which I am referring. If you would consider such a modification, doing so would also not affect any other applications for use.

Regardless of this consideration, your Comfort Coated DE blades “Lab Blues” are my favorites and many of us love the quality of all your blades in general. I also like buying blades from a company a few hours from where I live in Maryland.

Thank you for your time”

@bijou: Very pretty achievements.

When I bought my first Gibbs n ° 17, I received spare parts as a bonus.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I used the Gibbs head, except for the top cap.
Which I borrowed first from a Gillette, (then it was called Gibbslette) then from a Leresche, because it provided a more comfortable shave (now it is call Gibbsresche).
I used the "long screw wheel" of the same razor, and placed a piece of stainless steel tube in between.

A Leresche long screw for missing parts. Absolutely not "sacrificed", I just "borrowed" pieces from him:

proxy.php

Here is the "Gibbsreche" completely disassembled:

proxy.php

Partially disassembled, as if to change the blade:

proxy.php

And as it is in service:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Subsequently, I dug grooves with a tube cutter, for better grip :

proxy.php

Then I offered him a new stainless steel spring, and seals, which I have removed since.

proxy.php

Since I fixed the long screw in the tube with thermo-glue (it will be enough to heat, to take off, if I want to recover my Leresche).

The next project is to replace handle by a Redox one, always using the Leresche top cap,
his next name will be GibbsRescheDox, perfectly suited to a Frankenrazor.

Last edited:
Well the Gibbs lived up to the hype. I like razors with low blade exposure but it's a bit tough to find one of those that's still efficient. So I did the first shave on 2. It was ridiculously comfortable with barely any blade feel. Even so, the shave was close enough to call it BBS and I got absolutely zero feedback from the alum. It wasn't quite close enough that I won't feel whiskers this evening but impressive for a shave that comfortable. Tomorrow I'll probably dial it up a bit and see how smooth it is at N.

Nice to hear that you are happy with it. The Gibbs is one of my top three DE razors. Especially with the longer brass handle that I got from Claudio.
Yes, I think one of those brass handles will find its way to me pretty soon. I don't mind the plastic one much but a little more grip and more balance would be nice. What length would you recommend? I was thinking the 85mm, just a little longer than the normal one.

Yes, I think one of those brass handles will find its way to me pretty soon. I don't mind the plastic one much but a little more grip and more balance would be nice. What length would you recommend? I was thinking the 85mm, just a little longer than the normal one.
Sorry, I can’t help you on length. It is purely a personal choice. Some people have said the brass handle in the original length felt the best while others (including me) have said the longer length feels better. I have two Gibbs- one with the original handle and the other with the 85 mm handle. I have used both during a shave. One on one side of my face and the other on the other side. I prefer the 85mm handle but if I had to, I would still be happy with the regular handle. The Gibbs is such a great razor.

I'll probably go with 85mm but it's great as is with the plastic handle. I had another really great shave with the Gibbs this morning. I'm starting to feel the urge to sell off some razors and use the proceeds to buy a backup Gibbs.

My own "Gibbseuse" is being designed for several weeks.
I am using the first functional prototype today.
When the final version will be validated, I would make a video,
for now, it doesn't deserve more than a photo.

SOTD_2020_02_07.gif

Heritage Collection Shaving has an upcoming Gibbs replica that looks very similar to the classic Gibbs razors. Like the Rex Ambassador, the Heritage razor doesn't have the blade posts so it will accept modern blades without modification. Price has not yet been announced, but I'd expect it to be less than the Rex. Might be worth a look for those unsuccessful in the hunt to find an original in good shape.

Heritage Collection Shaving has an upcoming Gibbs replica that looks very similar to the classic Gibbs razors. Like the Rex Ambassador, the Heritage razor doesn't have the blade posts so it will accept modern blades without modification. Price has not yet been announced, but I'd expect it to be less than the Rex. Might be worth a look for those unsuccessful in the hunt to find an original in good shape.

Was ready to buy the Taiga but they changed the design at the last minute. Loved the look of the prototype and the idea of 2 baseplates in SB and OC, but just don’t like the look of the end result.

Wow, like the look of that replica. $50 to $100, hope it is all brass, the threads look brass at least. Handle is plastic but so is my original so that’s ok.

Thanks for sharing.

According to Neil at Heritage Collection, it's a brass and nickel alloy. I'm I don't know much about alloys. Is this a common combination for razor construction? I know that Fatip and most vintage razors are made of brass, but this is the first I've heard about the addition of nickel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom