What's new

Gibbs No 15/17 Brass head w/ Chrome coating (and rarer Personna Precision)

So I am going to start a thread for these amazing razors. I have been following @Dragonsbeard World Shave Off Showdown. And I was intrigued by this old school razor. Frank's descriptions of a little razor that can do almost anything really intrigued me. The fact that it was an influence for the REX Ambassador also caught my attention. So, I went out and bought one ...

or more accurately a few. I picked up a couple Gibbs No. 17, an unmarked Gibbs No. 15/17 that needs repair, and a Gibbs No. 15 that is on the way. Again, these are all the Brass razors with Chrome coating. Not to be confused with the lighter aluminum razor that are gold colored and also Gibbs No. 15.

I am starting this thread for owners, or those interested, to share information and discuss their razors.

I would also like to include the rare Personna Precision here as well, as it is a very similar razor with only a different color scheme and it doesn't use proprietary blades. Therefore modern blades don't need to be modified. A lot of this information for the Gibbs and Personnas are available around the web, however with the recent surge in popularity on this forum perhaps we can aggregate some of it here.

To start here are photographs of one of the Gibbs No. 17 razors.

Gibbs 17 6.jpeg
Gibbs 17 1.jpeg
Gibbs 17 2.jpeg
Gibbs 17 5.jpeg
Gibbs 17 3.jpeg

And I am interested in doing a Shave Off with the REX Ambassador vs the Gibbs No. 17 and should have an opportunity to do so soon. I know the @Dragonsbeard has already had them face off, but more information might be helpful.

And I expect some people who call the razor Frenchie Poo, might show up soon.:001_smile

I am currently on the hunt for a Gibbs no. 17 to see how it compares to my Rex Ambassador. I shave on the max setting exclusively as it is very smooth and efficient. I cannot wait to try the Gibbs rasoir one day.

Well after reading (and reading) about the Gibbs in the world shave off showdown, I pulled the trigger on a Gibbs No. 15. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 15 and the 17? Now to wait for it to arrive from France. Thanks for the reviews and this thread (you RAD enablers). :001_cool:

Well after reading (and reading) about the Gibbs in the world shave off showdown, I pulled the trigger on a Gibbs No. 15. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 15 and the 17? Now to wait for it to arrive from France. Thanks for the reviews and this thread (you RAD enablers). :001_cool:

Information on the net states there doesn't seem to be any difference in the chrome plated brass razors. The numbering paradigm in the catalogs year-to-year didn't seem to follow a pattern or mean anything in regards to the specification of the razor. There are razors over the years (from what I've read the 30's-50's) that are brass with chrome plating and are marked No. 15 or No. 17 or not marked at all. The only different model for adjustable Gibbs razors was aluminum head that was plated gold in color and I've only seen it referred to as a No. 15.

Information on the net states there doesn't seem to be any difference in the chrome plated brass razors. The numbering paradigm in the catalogs year-to-year didn't seem to follow a pattern or mean anything in regards to the specification of the razor. There are razors over the years (from what I've read the 30's-50's) that are brass with chrome plating and are marked No. 15 or No. 17 or not marked at all. The only different model for adjustable Gibbs razors was aluminum head that was plated gold in color and I've only seen it referred to as a No. 15.
Thanks, that is all I could determine in my searching around the net as well. Just wondered if there was something I was missing.

I'm just one Gibbs owner (I think I have 7 including the Normal razors) but I'd suggest folks simply use the Gibbs Adjustable nomenclature instead of 15 /17 as the catalog numbers have no consistent meaning.

I'm just one Gibbs owner (I think I have 7 including the Normal razors) but I'd suggest folks simply use the Gibbs Adjustable nomenclature instead of 15 /17 as the catalog numbers have no consistent meaning.

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, that's what I will do.

Hi frank

I was able to PM the pix but cannot figure out his to add them to a post. If you can post my earlier Personna pix to this thread that would be great (assuming you can take a short break from your Shaving odyssey [emoji3])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw a Micrometric go on the bay last week. It was gold plated and had some wear. Looking at the pictures, it appeared the base metal was aluminum. Can any Personna owners weigh in?

Also, if you had significant plate loss on your Personna, would you elect to have it replated? Buff out the base metal, whether brass or aluminum? Leave it completely alone because it is so rare?

I decided not to bid when the price went well over $300

My understanding is the Personna Micromatic adjustable is gold plated brass for the metal parts.

A VG condition razor with VG condition case will go for over $450-500. Not cheap but a great razor.

I've been following @Dragonsbeard Shave Showdown where I was intrigued by the Gibbs razors. The long and short is I found one and had my first shave and see why it did so well in his reviews. It seems smooth (at 3.5) and very efficient. It's only drawback is a super short handle (as DE blades can easily be modified). That Personna is even better looking but thankfully not easily available to purchase. :001_302:

My understanding is the Personna Micromatic adjustable is gold plated brass for the metal parts.

A VG condition razor with VG condition case will go for over $450-500. Not cheap but a great razor.

I was probably seeing nickel underneath that gold plate.

Some time ago I read on the web that the material

Some time ago I read a post in a Spanish forum that mentioned that the main difference between models 15 and 17 where the materials used for their building. Is seems that number 15 was made of aluminum, whereas model 17 is supposed to be made of brass. Here you have a link to the English translated post:

Gibbs Réglable Nº15 y Nº17

Bye!

No. №15 can be either brass or aluminum, chrome (or nickel?) plated or gold anodized.

Not only.that, notice the slots on the side of the head are clearly different in these two №15. The nylon sleeves are also different. So are the adjustment dials.

Guess I have to repeat myself, Pay No Attention to Catalog Numbers.

Some time ago I read on the web that the material

Some time ago I read a post in a Spanish forum that mentioned that the main difference between models 15 and 17 where the materials used for their building. Is seems that number 15 was made of aluminum, whereas model 17 is supposed to be made of brass. Here you have a link to the English translated post:

Gibbs Réglable Nº15 y Nº17

Bye!
proxy.php

Last edited:
No. №15 can be either brass or aluminum, chrome (or nickel?) plated or gold anodized.

Not only.that, notice the slots on the side of the head are clearly different in these two №15. The nylon sleeves are also different. So are the adjustment dials.

Guess I have to repeat myself, Pay No Attention to Catalog Numbers.

proxy.php

Ok, it seems clear now that we can find aluminium and brass numbered razors regardless of the imprint number. I guess then that the weight of the razor will confirm the material of which is made.

I will take some pictures of mines.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Top Bottom