What's new

GFT Coconut, vs TOBS Coconut

On the suggestion of CHSeifert and Flapalms239 I'm going to do a half and half shave using both brands of coconut creams. Unfortunately, I've had to postpone tonight's shave as we're still renovating the bathroom and some unannounced guests decided to show up, meaning I cant shave in the kitchen in peace. So for tonight I'll do a comparison of the fragrances.

In the tub, GFT has a musky coconut smell which ends with sweet notes; when lathered up both scents combine to give a sweeter scent that reminds me of a nestle bounty bar. When I first broke the seal on the TOBS tub I found the scent to be very strong, like actual coconut oil but it quickly died down and mellowed, the fragrence to me was creamy and musky with a hint of coconut, the coconut scent is milder and more natural compared to GFT, when lathered up the scent became a bit more noticeable but over all it stayed the same. I got some lather on my hands as I was mixing them, and by smelling the after aromas I find that both have left sweet coconut scents. The TOBS has a fresh clean aspect to it like coconut hand soap, while the GFT has more of a confectionery vibe going on, which is probably why my dog went mad trying to lick my face after I shaved with it the other night.

To me GFT had the stronger smell of coconut, when making their fragrance they decided to bring it to the the forefront, this is what it says on the label this is what it is going to smell like. While TOBS on the other hand, decided to build a fragrance around the coconut, overall their fragrance is mild compared to other fragrances in their range, sandalwood for example, and I think this one is intended as a viable option for those with sensitive skin.

Here we have two very solid fragrances each with their own charms. It really is a YMMV thing, at the end of the day personal taste is what will separate them in terms of fragrance; in terms of performance, well that's a different matter that we'll visit tomorrow.

Let us know what AS/ASB you chased each of these with. Curious to know if the scent lingers at all, and how it plays with various aftershave scents. Looking forward to hearing how these two competitors match up in the ring.

Look forward to the review, I love coconut! I've had a sample of GFT coconut and it exactly as you described, I liked that very much.

On the suggestion of CHSeifert and Flapalms239 I'm going to do a half and half shave using both brands of coconut creams. Unfortunately, I've had to postpone tonight's shave as we're still renovating the bathroom and some unannounced guests decided to show up, meaning I cant shave in the kitchen in peace. So for tonight I'll do a comparison of the fragrances.

In the tub, GFT has a musky coconut smell which ends with sweet notes; when lathered up both scents combine to give a sweeter scent that reminds me of a nestle bounty bar. When I first broke the seal on the TOBS tub I found the scent to be very strong, like actual coconut oil but it quickly died down and mellowed, the fragrence to me was creamy and musky with a hint of coconut, the coconut scent is milder and more natural compared to GFT, when lathered up the scent became a bit more noticeable but over all it stayed the same. I got some lather on my hands as I was mixing them, and by smelling the after aromas I find that both have left sweet coconut scents. The TOBS has a fresh clean aspect to it like coconut hand soap, while the GFT has more of a confectionery vibe going on, which is probably why my dog went mad trying to lick my face after I shaved with it the other night.

To me GFT had the stronger smell of coconut, when making their fragrance they decided to bring it to the the forefront, this is what it says on the label this is what it is going to smell like. While TOBS on the other hand, decided to build a fragrance around the coconut, overall their fragrance is mild compared to other fragrances in their range, sandalwood for example, and I think this one is intended as a viable option for those with sensitive skin.

Here we have two very solid fragrances each with their own charms. It really is a YMMV thing, at the end of the day personal taste is what will separate them in terms of fragrance; in terms of performance, well that's a different matter that we'll visit tomorrow.

Yes DMT, I am interested in what you conclude. Its all subjective I know, but for me,(and I've used both of these creams alot), the GFT Coconut leaves the TOBS one in the dust in terms of overall performance. A wonderful cream. The coconut scent in it is quite mild but still pleasing.

Craig

I am very curious to hear the head to head performance results. I got a great first shave with TOBS Coconut yesterday morning.

The anticipation continues to build! I am interested to see how the TOBS latest offering compares to the GFT which is one of my favorite creams. I am very fond of TOBS creams as well so I expect they will bring a good product to market.

Regards,

Doug

So I had my evenings shave.
My shaving kit for tonight was
Merkur 38c
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
Culmak junior x 2
Witch Hazel
Proraso Liquid Cream

My routine was a 3 pass shave 1 with the grain and 2 across. I usually use TOBS preshave oil because I find it stops me from getting irritation on my neck, but I wanted to see just how good these creams are and left it out. As I don't have two badger brushes I decided to use my grandfather's two Culmak Juniors which I normally use for face lathering soaps, they're short lofted and have stiff knots. IMHO they're not optimal for use with creams but I figured it was best to go for uniformity.

I started things off with a ten minute shower prepping my face with Real Shave Co. cocoa butter face scrub to lift the hairs and a little La Roche Posay lipid replenishing oil soap to soften them up, the combo is amazing I actually do feel my bristles get raised then softened. I started off by lathering an almond sized dollop of TOBS, at first I though I'd made a balls of it as the mix was runny and bubbly then suddenly it thickened up and exploded into a thick creamy lather in under a minute. Next I lathered the same amount of GFT, I had a much harder time getting it to lather for some reason, I had to add more water and work at it for about 2 minutes it was a slow gradual build but I got the same amount of lather with the same consistency.

I worked the TOBS into the left side of my face and the GFT into the the right, both continued to lather while inside the brushes, but I actually had TOBS flicking and dripping off the brush. The TOBS spread on thick and evenly providing plenty of cushion I have a big pimple on my neck that hasn't fully broken the surface and I ran over the bump 3 times without causing a bleed, it also held it's moisture well and I only had to dip the tips on the 3rd pass. The GFT lather had more volume when applied but strangely not as much cushioning, however it did provided way more slickness, if you want to truly understand what it means to for a blade to glide, then you really should try this cream out. As with my previous shaves GFT does seem to dry faster requiring you to dip the tips before each pass but that's just splitting hairs IMO. While GFT made shaving feel effortless I was very thankful for TOBS cushion while shaving my neck, it felt more comfortable on the that side then the GFT side. Finally, the part in the middle where both creams mixed was nothing short of amazing! If there was such a thing as a Trumper&Taylor Coconut I'd subscribe to it without a second thought.

I got a minor weeper on the right side of my neck during the second pass which healed up by the 3rd pass. After the shave there was plenty of lather left over I recon each produced enough for 4 passes of my entire face and some clean up. I got four spots of irritation, one at the right corner of my jaw, one the beard line on the right side of my neck , one my left cheek and a rather large one in the area around the pimple trying to break through. All bar the large one calmed down immediately and had completely gone within a half hour of applying the balm. 3 passes left me with a DFS I can feel no stubble rubbing with the grain, going against the grain I can feel a small patch on the left side of my neck and a larger one running the length of the underside of the right side of my jaw.

I'm not ready to call it just yet. Like I said at the beginning, I don't consider my culmaks to be the best brushes for lathering creams so seeing that I have enough GFT left for one more shave I'm going to do a shave each with my Simpsons Duke 2 I'll make my final decision on Sunday evening. Check back tomorrow to see what I make of GFT on its own under optimum conditions

@Joey to answer your question about the fragrances afterwards, GFT's was the strongest, it overpowered TOBS taking the forefront. Because I shave at night I never gave much though to what would go best with a lingering shaving cream fragrance it came to toss up between classic Oldspice and Proraso liquid cream, in the end I went with the Proraso because the herbaceous element of the fragrance reminds me of being around marram grass. Once the citrus element of the Proraso died down the plant and coconut fragrances came back to the forefront making a nice combo that really reminded me of the beach. The Proraso died out pretty fast and to my nose the coconut didn't last more than 10-15 minutes meaning you can use whatever fragrance you want without having to worry about building on the coconut or having the fragrances clash.

Last edited:
So I had my evenings shave.
My shaving kit for tonight was
Merkur 38c
Culmak junior x 2
Witch Hazel
Proraso Liquid Cream

My routine was a 3 pass shave 1 with the grain and 2 across. I usually use TOBS preshave oil because I find it stops me from getting irritation on my neck, but I wanted to see just how good these creams are and left it out. As I don't have two badger brushes I decided to use my grandfather's two Culmak Juniors which I normally use for face lathering soaps, they're short lofted and have stiff knots. IMHO they're not optimal for use with creams but I figured it was best to go for uniformity.

I started things off with a ten minute shower prepping my face with Real Shave Co. cocoa butter face scrub to lift the hairs and a little La Roche Posay lipid replenishing oil soap to soften them up, the combo is amazing I actually do feel my bristles get raised then softened. I started off by lathering an almond sized dollop of TOBS, at first I though I'd made a balls of it as the mix was runny and bubbly then suddenly it thickened up and exploded into a thick creamy lather in under a minute. Next I lathered the same amount of GFT, I had a much harder time getting it to lather for some reason, I had to add more water and work at it for about 2 minutes it was a slow gradual build but I got the same amount of lather with the same consistency.

I worked the TOBS into the left side of my face and the GFT into the the right, both continued to lather while inside the brushes, but I actually had TOBS flicking and dripping off the brush. The TOBS spread on thick and evenly providing plenty of cushion I have a big pimple on my neck that hasn't fully broken the surface and I ran over the bump 3 times without causing a bleed, it also held it's moisture well and I only had to dip the tips on the 3rd pass. The GFT lather had more volume when applied but strangely not as much cushioning, however it did provided way more slickness, if you want to truly understand what it means to for a blade to glide, then you really should try this cream out. As with my previous shaves GFT does seem to dry faster requiring you to dip the tips before each pass but that's just splitting hairs IMO. While GFT made shaving fell effortless I was very thankful for TOBS cushion while shaving my neck, it felt more uncomfortable on the that side then the GFT side. Finally, the part in the middle where both creams mixed was nothing short of amazing! If there was such a thing as a Trumper&Taylor Coconut I'd subscribe to it without a second thought.

I got a minor weeper on the right side of my neck during the second pass which healed up by the 3rd pass. After the shave there was plenty of lather left over I recon each produced enough for 4 passes of my entire face and some clean up. I got four spots of irritation, one at the right corner of my jaw, one the beard line on the right side of my neck , one my left cheek and a rather large one in the area around the pimple trying to break through. All bar the large one calmed down immediately and had completely gone within a half hour of applying the balm. 3 passes left me with a DFS I can feel no stubble rubbing with the grain, going against the grain I can feel a small patch on the left side of my neck and a larger one running the length of the underside of the right side of my jaw.

I'm not ready to call it just yet. Like I said at the beginning, I don't consider my culmaks to be the best brushes for lathering creams so seeing that I have enough GFT left for one more shave I'm going to do a shave each with my Simpsons Duke 2 I'll make my final decision on Sunday evening. Check back tomorrow to see what I make of GFT on its own under optimum conditions

@Joey to answer your question about the fragrances afterwards, GFT's was the strongest, it overpowered TOBS taking the forefront. Because I shave at night I never gave much though to what would go best with a lingering shaving cream fragrance it came to toss up between classic Oldspice and Proraso liquid cream, in the end I went with the Proraso because the herbaceous element of the fragrance reminds me of being around marram grass. Once the citrus element of the Proraso died down the plant and coconut fragrances came back to the forefront making a nice combo that really reminded me of the beach. The Proraso died out pretty fast and to my nose the coconut didn't last more than 10-15 minutes meaning you can use whatever fragrance you want without having to worry about building on the coconut or having the fragrances clash.

Thank you so so much for doing this :) Looks like I'll be ordering TOBS Coconut here soon :)

Is it true that none of these use coconut essential oil? I bought a tub of GFT Coconut a while back but it burned my face so that was that. Scent was nice though.

Will do Marco I had a shave with GFT this evening but I'm heading out for the evening I made notes and will talk more about it later

Here you go Marco.

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 567
Yesterday was a bit of weird experience the side of my face that I used the GFT on felt soft and supple while the side I used the TOBS on felt firmer. The goodies packed into the Proraso liquid cream did a nice job at getting to work on my face, but it could use a bit more of moisturizing aspect for my liking.

My shaving kit for last night was
Merkur 38c
Simpsons Duke 2
GFT Coconut
Witch Hazel
Real Shaving Co. Soothing Balm

As I was only removing a day's growth I just needed 2 passes (WG/XG) and a little tidying to get a DFS

The brush certainly made a difference this time around, GFT whipped up a lather more readily taking less time and effort as was expected from previous experience. I thought the lather produced with the badger brush was of a slightly better quality, well in terms of looks anyway. There wasn't much difference in performance it was still as slick as ever but was a bit lacking in the cushion area, This wasn't a big issue except when I ran over the irritation on the right side of my neck. As before it dried slightly between passes and needed the tips dipped before each application, I'm not sure if this is due to the water in my area or the presence of the oil in the cream itself. There is one quirk I forgot to mention, for about an hour or so following a shave with this cream, my face is left feeling a little dry then it is left with a soft supple feeling, I'm not sure if this temporary post shave drying is a feature of GFT products or just due to the fact that there is coconut oil in the cream, coconut oil is reported to have a drying effect making it effective for oily skin and acne.

No great revelations to report here, it preformed just as well as the previous times I'd used it with my Duke 2 so overall no major complaints, it really is a top tier cream.

On to my next shave with TOBS Coconut and my final evaluation (which by the looks of it will be a personal preference thing)

Looking forward to DMT's final evaluation, but seeing the ingredient list has lessened my enthusiasm somewhat. The ingredient list looks identical to my Taylor Rose, which suggests it's just the same Taylor cream with a different scent added. I like Taylor Rose, but was hoping for something different in texture or performance that separated it from the rest of the pack.

Is it true that none of these use coconut essential oil? I bought a tub of GFT Coconut a while back but it burned my face so that was that. Scent was nice though.

There's no coconut essential oil. Most of the products with coconut scent, use syntethic parfum. Although there is coconut absolute, which is very expensive and rarely used. Hugo Naturals do use coconut fruit extract on their products.

Top Bottom