What's new

Getting that BBS Neck!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just do the finish pass with a Mach III.. works every time.

I used a Mach 3 since they hit the market up to when I joined this forum. I never had a BBS finish with them or any other cart/disposable razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just do the finish pass with a Mach III.. works every time.
YMMV on DE, Cartridge razors worked for me over 30+yrs but I never paid close attention come to think of it.
I did some testing cartridge to DE traditional shaving a few months back to feel the difference and I like the DE slightly better IMO, My Gillette proglide takes & pulls and chops at the same time and after the shave it took a little longer for the skin to settle down and I could feel it in the sensitive areas more. Both shaves were similar for results but less irritation with DE. Some folks can not use cartridge at all because they get some of the worse ingrown hair problems.
Lots of photo's to see if you want to see the misery ingrown hairs can make for certain individuals.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I used a Mach 3 since they hit the market up to when I joined this forum. I never had a BBS finish with them or any other cart/disposable razor.

One of the things I remember from those long-ago Mach 3 days was going against the grain one day, and getting a razor burn, rash, and intense irritation ... Wondering what hit me.

Today I can do it irritation-free with about any DE razor.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One of the things I remember from those long-ago Mach 3 days was going against the grain one day, and getting a razor burn, rash, and intense irritation ... Wondering what hit me.

Today I can do it irritation-free with about any DE razor.

AA

I battled irritation my entire shaving life. Even with rotary electrics. Razor burn from foil shavers. None gave me a BBS finish, but the foil shaver came the closest. I never got the hang of using one enough to get past the burn though.

I've tried several disposables in the last year. All felt like how you might imagine this feels, in comparison to a DE.

121273604.jpg

Of them all, the Schick Xtreme 3 was the best but its still way too harsh for me.

You might want to re-visit the Mach III again. One thing that I've learned fro DE shaving is proper technic. This improved technique transfers directly to the MACH III also. A BBS clean up pass on micro-stubble is fully capable. I would suggest going back and focusing on the fundamentals of DE shaving. Apply the lessons to the Mach III and you will be rewarded with a BBS smooth shave.
MM897

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You might want to re-visit the Mach III again. One thing that I've learned fro DE shaving is proper technic. This improved technique transfers directly to the MACH III also. A BBS clean up pass on micro-stubble is fully capable. I would suggest going back and focusing on the fundamentals of DE shaving. Apply the lessons to the Mach III and you will be rewarded with a BBS smooth shave.
MM897

Its not a technique issue, its a weak recessed blade issue. I've been using my Fatip Grande directly ATG for a single buffing pass and one light clean up for a BBS that lasts 10-12 hours for the last year and now using my GEM MMOC the same way. The MMOC is twice as efficient, gives me a 14+ hour BBS finish and is easier on my skin.

I used a Mach 3 over 20 years and never had a BBS, close perhaps with a fresh blade, but never a true BBS. If I tried the same shave with my Mach 3, I may not have a face left too shave lol.

When I was using a Mach 3, or any cart razor for that matter, I needed to shave everyday. Because cartridges are so harsh, multiple blades, I couldnt use it everyday because of irritation and ingrown hairs. This is why I switched to electrics and would alternate between my Mach 3 and an electric. I used a Phillips rotary the most. It was a comfortable, if not a close shave, as long as the blades were sharp. When the sharpness fell off they'd tug and I've even stalled them numerous times. Those rotary blades never lasted long for me and I ended up sharpening them myself on my Whetstone.

DE and even more so, SE shaving, is a whole other world. I never thought I could have a really nice, close and comfortable shave, but I can. So can everyone else, provided they take the time to learn and understand what works for them and why.

I spent almost 40 years of my life with poor, unsatisfactory shaves. 40 years, thats a long time. This forum and its members has turned my shaves upside down and I'm easily having the best shaves of my life.

They're still improving too. It took a lot of time, thought and understanding to find the best razors for me. Less time to narrow blade choices and not long ago I discovered which soaps work for me. All soaps are not created equally and finding the right match for any one persons skin is the same as the rest of the journey, trial and error. When you do find the right matches for you however, you'll know it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This morning, I finally made the conscious decision to cease chasing the ghost stubble... After 26 years of shaving, I could not be happier! Got a CCS and I am most satisfied with that. More importantly, no neck irritation at all and skin feels great. This will lead to less skin recovery time and the next shave should feel great as well.

Neck BBS is no longer my pursuit - the end result is not worth the means to achieve it for me.

Proraso red pre-shave
Proraso red soap
Gillette E4 Fatboy
GSB
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel

-Andrew

That was quick! Maybe you'll change your mind later.

I am sure that I will, but I am going to simply enjoy the CCS I get on my neck and the BBS above the jaw for now. The concept of rigidity is something I am now investigating. Thanks for the advice @Esox !

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am sure that I will, but I am going to simply enjoy the CCS I get on my neck and the BBS above the jaw for now. The concept of rigidity is something I am now investigating. Thanks for the advice @Esox !

Try an SE. You can find GEM razors at absurdly low prices.

Funny you mention that; I almost bought a 1912 GEM Razor off ebay earlier today. It was in good shape and would have been $12. Some of the razors of this type just look like engineering marvels, or perhaps a Rube Goldberg device! If I am going to try SE shaving, I am going with a vintage. Any suggestions on which is better: GEM 1912, Micromatic, Ever-Sharp, etc? As I like to squeeze the lifespan out of most everything I purchase, I figure I can use the dulled blades later in my paint scraper!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Funny you mention that; I almost bought a 1912 GEM Razor off ebay earlier today. It was in good shape and would have been $12. Some of the razors of this type just look like engineering marvels, or perhaps a Rube Goldberg device! If I am going to try SE shaving, I am going with a vintage. Any suggestions on which is better: GEM 1912, Micromatic, Ever-Sharp, etc? As I like to squeeze the lifespan out of most everything I purchase, I figure I can use the dulled blades later in my paint scraper!
Also bought a Gem 1912 and it's bouncing around the mail system in the USA(it has been through over 20 sorting's & numerous facility's in USA) , and then to get thrown into a rotating Mail strike by Canada Post and I might see it in the New Year. Here's some information that might help.Gem Razor Models

Also bought a Gem 1912 and it's bouncing around the mail system in the USA(it has been through over 20 sorting's & numerous facility's in USA) , and then to get thrown into a rotating Mail strike by Canada Post and I might see it in the New Year. Here's some information that might help.Gem Razor Models
Thanks, I just read the entire thread. I appreciate the timeline spreadsheet and explanations!

I won an Ever-Ready tonight from eBay and will have my first SE razor sometime later this week! Thanks for the push I needed...I’ll be sure to update on the effect it has on achieving the irritation free BBS neck.

Here’s a picture I have. It also includes some new blades so I don’t have to go to the drugstore.

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It also includes some new blades so I don’t have to go to the drugstore.

Just found 100 PTFE blades for $25. Seems like a good price.

The PTFE blades are the only ones I'll vouch for. I buy mine from Connaught.

Remember to use a shallow angle, cap flat against your skin or only very slightly away from it with only enough pressure to keep it in contact with your skin. Be careful along your jawline and corners of your chin.

If you dont feel the blade, you're doing it right. It took me a few shaves getting the hang of my MMOC, but once I did my desire to use DE's has dwindled.

I gave my GEM G-Bar a first try this morning. Paired it with a GEM PTFE Blade.

It has been a while since I finished the shave, looked in the mirror and literally said, "Wow, that was great!!" Fewer passes needed than my DE razors and no irritation! BBS all over, even on my lower neck!
proxy.php

Maybe instead of mainly trying all different “aggressive” razors, I really just needed a rigid blade paired with an efficient shaver. I like the term efficient as it applies here.

If your blade has any play
Assume your neck will really pay

Tighten down that bad boy. Light touch, multiple passes, replace your razor frequently, finish with a 4 blade DSC razor.
I will spend $10 for a glass of wine in Arlington, Va but slice up my face trying to get one more shave out of a 9 cent razor. SMH

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Maybe instead of mainly trying all different “aggressive” razors, I really just needed a rigid blade paired with an efficient shaver. I like the term efficient as it applies here.

Yes. Well done! Welcome to the eyeopening world of SE shaving. DE's just cant compete.

I was told "It only gets better from here." Its true too.

Top Bottom