What's new

Gems?

The Wiki says the Zinn came out in 1898... true?
Gem Cutlery was founded in 1898, they are interwined with kampfe Bros, Yankee and Ever ready companies.and American safety razor co. howver the Zinn and Gem affiliation with American safety Razor co. was not made public until 1919 when Gem Cutlery co. became the American safety razor co.

WooHoo! I recently took posession of a Star brand 1912, and just won this beauty off the bay. I'll post a nice group shot when it arrives.

Pics from the auction:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never seen that handle before. The british had a few patterns of handle that were not available in the U.S. though.

i just picked up this little gem today (pun intended) :balloon:

i noticed that there are 2 pieces of metal that fit together in the base, to form what appears to be a tiny straight razor, was this a standard item that came with these razors ?

$P1010264.jpg

i just picked up this little gem today (pun intended) :balloon:

i noticed that there are 2 pieces of metal that fit together in the base, to form what appears to be a tiny straight razor, was this a standard item that came with these razors ?

Yes, it's a stropping attachment for stropping the blades between uses. The handle section that it's inserted into also fits into the end of the other piece that's on the razor to create an extended length handle.

Yes, it's a stropping attachment for stropping the blades between uses. The handle section that it's inserted into also fits into the end of the other piece that's on the razor to create an extended length handle.

very cool, i didn't even realize that the bands on both had a threaded pitch, i also noticed that if you leave the strop piece in you get an extra long, mind you very unwieldy, handle :shifty:

here i was trying to picture someone using that thing to straight shave with :wacko:

Not sure if this is a good thread to post this, but the title is general enough I hope nobody minds.

I came across this a little while ago and added it to my collection of "Shaving Oddities" as some form of early American kamisori. I later learned that GEM made "wedge blade" razors before the disposable SEs we are most familiar with. I think I have here a GEM wedge blade and the associated stropping handle for it.

IMG_20191013_164742-01.jpeg
IMG_20191013_164833-01.jpeg
IMG_20191013_165938-01.jpeg

Firstly, am I on the right track now? Assuming so, does anyone know which model (or if they even made multiple models)? Are any pictures available?

Already having and enjoying a Rolls Viscount, having a GEM wedge would be awesome! I may be on a quest...

The Wiki says the Zinn came out in 1898... true?
False. The Zinn used disposable blades, which were not introduced (single edged) until 1905. Gillette invented the disposable blade in 1903, but it was double edged. What I would like to know is when the Zinn was discontinued? They are rare, so I am thinking 1905-9 or earlier? Anyone know?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
False. The Zinn used disposable blades, which were not introduced (single edged) until 1905. Gillette invented the disposable blade in 1903, but it was double edged. What I would like to know is when the Zinn was discontinued? They are rare, so I am thinking 1905-9 or earlier? Anyone know?
I'm a fan of the Zinn (as you can probably tell from my Avatar). I agree that the Zinn was an "answer" to the Gillette razor (initially Double Ring, then Single Ring). Here's an old, but fairly thorough analysis of the Zinn dates: Questioning the 1898 Date on Zinn Automatic. Here's my 2-cents, Gem produced the razor (perhaps out of some obligation to the Zinn's), but it was already working on a "disposable" blade (the Damaskeene) which would work in many of it's lather catchers (Gem, New Gem, Gem Junior Bar, etc). While I don't really know much about the history definitively, I can say that it is an easy razor to use with a Schick injector blade....my blade of choice in this razor is a Proline. I've also known others to use a half DE blade, which *probably* also works (I've never tried it....I prefer thicker blades in my Single Edge razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I you like a simple version of the Timeline of GEM this is very accurate or American Safety Razor(ASR) here is a real good information sheet.
1601591648777.png

I believe Fred @Flintstone65 has the Robert Waits book on razors and Fred collects all kinds of different makes.
Here is a free part of the book that references Gem razors.

If you like more information on Gem I started a Thread on Gem Razor models and it is loaded with gem history more near the end.

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

I had read this and looked and found on on the bay and got it in this week. I did not know what kind of blades they actually used and was discouraged to see it was a proprietary blade, but it looked similar in size to a Schick injector blade, so decided to try one. Now the Schick lacks the little "ears" that properly aligns the blade, but the spring loaded cover on the Zinn has enough tension to hold the Schick blade nicely. It seems to align itself rather easily and I have shaved with it twice and am quite pleased, similar to a 1912 Damaskeen.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I had read this and looked and found on on the bay and got it in this week. I did not know what kind of blades they actually used and was discouraged to see it was a proprietary blade, but it looked similar in size to a Schick injector blade, so decided to try one. Now the Schick lacks the little "ears" that properly aligns the blade, but the spring loaded cover on the Zinn has enough tension to hold the Schick blade nicely. It seems to align itself rather easily and I have shaved with it twice and am quite pleased, similar to a 1912 Damaskeen.
Yep, you nailed it. The springs on the ones I've seen (yes, I've handled a few now), are always tight enough to keep the Schick injector blades in place, and I haven't tried it, but folks have done the ol' half a DE blade in it as well...but you may need to shim the half DE to get it to stay, I'm not sure. I like the Zinn quite a bit, and depending on how the proprietary blades were back in the day, I would've probably been chosen this razor over the Gillette Double Ring. Of course, my proprietary blades would've gone away and I would've been out of luck.

Welcome to the Zinn club....not many members that I'm aware of.

Top Bottom