What's new

Gems?

I think I may be on a Gem kick, I wonder how many different types there are. I currently have an OCMM, a Contour, a 1912, a Clog-Pruf, a Flying Wing, a Feather, a Junior, and the one with the octogon handle, the size of a 1912, Greek chain on the sides, on the way. How many do I lack Tom, besides a Damaskeene?

Let's see, if we're talking distinct models there's also the Contour II, in addition to the ones you've already named. If you want to go back into the earlier days there are a good handful of different GEM lather catchers. I've got three of them here in this photo:

proxy.php

There are a good number of different handle styles on the 1912: it sounds like you're describing what some folks call the "ornate" handle in your original post (see the handle on the Ever-Ready 1912 below), there's the fluted handle in the foreground of the photo above, and the baton handle in the background. There's also GEM De Luxe models with their own handles, and shorter travel versions of most of the metal handles, too. For the most part, though, they're really pretty similar in terms of how they affect the feel of the shave. The baton is the one most noticeably different just because of its lighter weight and larger girth.

proxy.php

You might also want to lump in the other ASR family razors, in which case you've got the 1914 ("Lift Here" or Little Lather Catcher) and 1924-style (Shovelhead) models. I don't seem to have any photos of a 1914-style already shot, but here's a Sears-Roebuck promotional 1924-style that I do have handy:

proxy.php

Oh, and I can't believe I completely forgot to mention the Jewel/Streamline, one of the absolute best ones out there! :a6:

Here's one of my Ever-Ready ones, but there are also GEMs:

proxy.php

I keep finding the term "Lather Catcher" is that a model or a feature?

I only have a 1912 and an OCMM so I don't any direct experience with the other models.

It looks as if I have several left to aquire then, doesn't it? Whew, I was worried my RAD was about to run out of food! I am the same about a "Lather Catcher". Which one is that?

I keep finding the term "Lather Catcher" is that a model or a feature?

I am the same about a "Lather Catcher". Which one is that?

"Lather catcher" is a general term used to describe razors that held the blade above a cupped recess. The Kampfe Bros. Star is probably the most common lather catcher one you'll see, but there were many, many others. Here are a few different examples:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Heavy Flat Top, aka G-Bar.

Good call! I must've blocked that one from my mind because it's one of my least favorite, next to the Feather-Weight. It's almost impossible to find a bad looking one, though -- the plating on them was a pretty amazing job.

I think I may be on a Gem kick, I wonder how many different types there are?

ok heres a few names

1900 gem improved

1901 new gem-case #10, case 2, case 11, case 12, case 7,

1903 z, 1904 model gem, 1905 gem rigid model,
1905 GEM, 1905 NEW GEM,1907 Clemak,1906 gem jr. 1908 z,
1911 gem jr, 1911-12 gem deluxe, 11-12 damaskeene, 1915 gem damaskeene,1916 gem

, 1919 gem,1918 gem khaki service set outfit,1921 gem, gem doublelife,1921 gem,gemdoublelife blades,gem brooklyn,
1922 new deluxee outfits,1923 marbelite,1925 gem,1923 gem marbaelite,1925 gem wizzrd,
marval, gem minutemen, gem auto stropper

1927 gem peerless,1928 gem, 1930 gem micromatic,1932,doublelledge,1937 lectric, 1938,1947-48 gem flying wing, 1941 clogpruf,

I posted this in response to your Holy Grail post before I noticed this post:

How about a Junior Bar Lather Catcher 1900/1901, a pushbutton, a featherweight Deluxe, heavy flat top (G-bar), & the Jewel. Do you have the 1912s and the MMs in both silver and gold? What handle is on your Junior, metal or bakelite (fat or thin). What about the Ever-Readys? 1912, 1914 Little Lather Catcher, 1924 Shovel Head, & Streamline. Got any British made? Military Sets? You still have a bunch to go if you want to collect them all, RAD never ends my friend.

I'm still working on it too. I have at least 16 unique 1912s. Something is different about all of them, either the make, country made, head design, color, handle design.

Here are pics of some of mine:
full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea there were that many out there. All you ever hear about are the OCMM, 1912, & the Clog-Pruf. Guess I needn't worry about running out of new ones to find for a while yet!

Nobody mentioned the Zinn yet.
Ok Spiderman I will, By 1905-06 Gem Cutlery co. along with the Zinn enterprise of Martin, Mary, and Aurthur Simmon Zinn was marketing the Zinn wedge blade and waffle blade safety razors same as the Everready razors. The 1905 - 1906 Zinn Automatic thin single edge rigid wafer blade razor.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom