What's new

gems

I see a lot of members raving about Gems. I am an open comb DE fan. What would you recommended? The shape looks like shaving under the nose might be difficult.

What blades do you use and where would you purchase them? Thanks.

For the past week I have been using a Gem Jr, my first time with SE.

I am really impressed with the results. I am getting BBS results (after two passes) with absolutely no razor burn or even the slightest irritation. I shave in the morning, and at bedtime SWMBO asked me if I shaved again that afternoon - my mug was still that smooth!

It only took two or three strokes to find the correct angle, and in one week I have only had one slight weeper, and that was on the first shave! I am using Treet blades that I purchased at Rite-Aid.

I have a soup strainer, so shaving under the nostrils is not an issue for me. (Been so long I'm not sure I remember how to do it anyway!)

Of course, now I have to try other SE models to see how they compare, and potentially work another half-dozen razors into my rotation!!! :biggrin1:

Among my current Gems I have a Micromatic open comb which I purchased on eBay(under $19) considered in extremely good shape. I shave under the nose the same as if I was using a DE that is to stretch my upper lip and shave as close to the nose as possible:thumbup:

The best blades are the store bought Gem Personna stainless(available at Walgreens) or the so call Ted Peller coated stainless individually wrapped. Those come 200 to a box but can be bought at many outlets loose in smaller amounts.
Those blades are the best and made by Gem.

There's no problem under the nose, just do what you can WTG, and do the rest XTG and ATG.
If you want a small pack of blades, GEM by personna stainless are the best bet.
After that, when you're hooked on SE, get bulk packs of GEM blades from ted pella or other scientific blade suppliers.

I've only tried a 1912 and micromatic. I prefer the 1912.
First few shaves were not great, the shave I had last night was unbelievable. It's all about the quality of the lather, and treating it like a straight, ie concentrate on angles and go slow and light. The blades are sharp enough to do the job, if you feel that the razor is skipping or not cutting, it's not the blade (speaking for GEM by personna or ted pella industrial GEM blades here), it's your lather and/or technique.

I'm mainly a gillette DE NEW and tech guy, but what the ever ready 1912 shave did last night, I don't think a DE could beat it. I still haven't perfected it (very slight irritation) and the blades cost more and don't last as long as some DE blades. But for the best quality of BBS of a shave for me, the GEM/SE can't be beaten by a DE

Last edited:
I just scored a Gem Jr. on the bay for $8.50. Should I go for the Ted Pellas or just start with blades from CVS or Rite Aid?

Any last technique advice so's not to hack up my face?

I just scored a Gem Jr. on the bay for $8.50. Should I go for the Ted Pellas or just start with blades from CVS or Rite Aid?

Any last technique advice so's not to hack up my face?

Super stainless from Walgreens or these from Amazon (lower quantity option of the same thing as from Pella).

As far as technique, keep the pressure very light, the strokes short. start with the blade cover close to the skin and rotate gradually until you hear the whiskers being cut. That should do it.

- Chris

I just scored a Gem Jr. on the bay for $8.50.

Awesome! I had the lower bid on that same razor! :lol: No worries though - I won a bid on an Ever Ready 1914 whose bid closed an hour and a half later. Can't wait to try it out!

I picked up a Gem G Bar couple of weeks ago, and absolutely love the shave (except when I'm rushing and not paying enough attention to technique :blushing:). The reason I became interested in SE razors is because I keep a 2/3 beard with a few tricky details. I thought (correctly, it turns out) that a single-edge razor would make easier work of keeping the lines tight. :thumbup1:

I'm sure you will enjoy the experience! Congrats on the Gem Jr. :biggrin1:

Sorry I beat you, bro, but congrats on the ER!!

Awesome! I had the lower bid on that same razor! :lol: No worries though - I won a bid on an Ever Ready 1914 whose bid closed an hour and a half later. Can't wait to try it out!

I picked up a Gem G Bar couple of weeks ago, and absolutely love the shave (except when I'm rushing and not paying enough attention to technique :blushing:). The reason I became interested in SE razors is because I keep a 2/3 beard with a few tricky details. I thought (correctly, it turns out) that a single-edge razor would make easier work of keeping the lines tight. :thumbup1:

I'm sure you will enjoy the experience! Congrats on the Gem Jr. :biggrin1:

I see references to a "Gem Jr." razor . . .

Which Gem Jr. are we talking about? I suspect you may be referring to the varient of the 1912 model with the bakelite handle, but this is only one model that ASR used the "Gem Jr." name on.

The first use of the Gem Jr. name, as far as I can determine, was on the 1900/1901 patent, Gem Jr. Bar Razor. The "Jr." in the name seemed to be an attempt to differenciate between these razors, which used the newer thin blade with the reinforced back, similar to todays SE blades, from the regular Gem razor which, in those days, used a wedge blade.

The Gem Jr. Bar Razor is, in my opinion, the best safety razor ever designed. It is the only razor I use any more. :001_smile

Regards,
Tom

I belive you would like the OC micro I know were there is a couple that I can go by and grab they are in good shape, PM me if you want one.

Top Bottom