What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
If you were doing all right before with your other Gems you might want to check to make sure the button is in good shape by lifting the front of the cap when locked to make sure it is clamping the blade down. Sounds like your push button had a lot of use so it might be worn. A quick fix is a little plastic shim I installed at the back of mine(.015 thousands of a inch from a yogurt lid.) Reference #87 & #148 on this thread.
They are a sharp blade and you might of been applying similar pressure as the Treet blade and scraped some skin.
Have some great GEM shaves!

I'll definitely check the door next time I use it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great shave this morning might as well share it like I did over at the TSD forum.
Just a typical Thursday morning shave with my gear!
Gem MMBT Thursday shave Jan10-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great GEM shaves!

Ron R

GEM Flying wing, guiding eye, bullet tip......MMBT. Gem flying wing (2).jpg

Weight : 2.47 oz (71 grams ) This is the heaviest Micromatic of the 3 models.

Blade gap : .022 thousands of a inch (.56mm)

Razor Material: Brass with chrome coatings like similar other two Micromatic’s models MMOC & MMCP

Blade exposure: Positive

Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (7 use)

Handling : This is a very nice smooth daily driver razor that makes shaving enjoyable.

-Good grip with their taper column type vertical cast straight knurl like the other two Micromatics but with a bullet shaped twist end that is very nice to work with.

- the razor really never felt threatening and handled buffing , J hooking and GEM slide maneuver with ease and one of the smoothest razors with high efficiency that was great to use.

- my shaves were close and comfortable and alum block confirmed that, no problems!

-Usual shave CCS,DFS,BBS range (WTG +ATG +clean up passes) and while testing with cotton ball test hardly ever snagged cotton on the clean shaved beard. The beard started to be noticed by feel about 8-10> hrs later.

This Micromatic model was only produced for approx. one year 1947> and the earlier production had a round circle indent machined in the center of the cap(guiding eye) that was later stopped. It was sales gimmick and really did nothing from my limited research. This model is more rare than the MMOC or MMCP and can be had for a very reasonable price still and will be harder to find in future no doubt.
Gem review over all with Flying wing! (2).jpg

For folks who do not have a operating manual for the GEM or EVER READY Models!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

If you HAD to choose between a Bullet Tip and the Push Button, which would you pick.
HAD to.....
Asking for a friend lol
The Micromatic Flying wing, guiding eye, bullet tip.......MMBT:rolleyes: would be the better choice if in good mechanical condition IMO. That razor is just shear pleasure to use and the push button was OK also but the MMBT gave me a better shave because it's a more rigid design also and handled very well. Your friend & you would be happy with that model if you can find a good one. I'm just starting tomorrow to use my Micromatic Clog Pruf model and it should be similar or a little more aggressive and was very popular and had a good production run for many years. I will leave a brief 1st impression tomorrow for you and others on the MMCP.

I'm just starting tomorrow to use my Micromatic Clog Pruf model and it should be similar or a little more aggressive and was very popular and had a good production run for many years.

Hmm not that many, three: two years (40-42) prior to the WW2 production halt , and another year (ish) after with the '46 Peerless variant.

Last edited:
The Micromatic Flying wing, guiding eye, bullet tip.......MMBT:rolleyes: would be the better choice if in good mechanical condition IMO. That razor is just shear pleasure to use and the push button was OK also but the MMBT gave me a better shave because it's a more rigid design also and handled very well. Your friend & you would be happy with that model if you can find a good one. I'm just starting tomorrow to use my Micromatic Clog Pruf model and it should be similar or a little more aggressive and was very popular and had a good production run for many years. I will leave a brief 1st impression tomorrow for you and others on the MMCP.
It has been a while since I used my (son's) Bullet Tip. I may have to give it another visit...
I mean....my friend hahaha

Ron R

Hmm not that many, three: two years (40-42) prior to the WW2 production halt , and another year (ish) after with the '46 Peerless variant.
Good point, I will be using the Peerless variant GEM Clog pruf. Thanks @jmudrick for the photo and the difference of the two variants. The one on the right is the Peerless variant Gem clog pruf- 17 nibs on safety bar!
clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg

Ron R

Well onto the next GEM the Clog Pruf late 1946-1947 MMCP Peerless Variant 17 nib safety bar model.GEM Clog Pruf (2).jpg
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Preshave: Shower and Aloe vera gel afterwards
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber + witch hazel+ Nivea balm

The shave was very close with a new blade and beard fully hydrated to give me a CCS>BBs for my first impressions of this new (used) razor. The blade could be felt a little and first swipe indicated to me that the blade razor combination audio feed back that my 1 day old growth stood no chance of winning this shave today. The Alum block test indicated some minor to normal stinging after a close shave. The MMCP is a great razor for a medium to coarse beard from my first impressions.
GEM MMCP first impressions jan 11-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great Gem shaves!

Last edited:
Well onto the next GEM the Clog Pruf late 1946-1947 MMCP Peerless Variant 17 nib safety bar model.View attachment 942543
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap : Razorock Lavender
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Preshave: Shower and Aloe vera gel afterwards
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave: Razorock Blue barber + witch hazel+ Nivea balm

The shave was very close with a new blade and beard fully hydrated to give me a CCS>BBs for my first impressions of this new (used) razor. The blade could be felt a little and first swipe indicated to me that the blade razor combination audio feed back that my 1 day old growth stood no chance of winning this shave today. The Alum block test indicated some minor to normal stinging after a close shave. The MMCP is a great razor for a medium to coarse beard from my first impressions.
View attachment 942542

Have some great Gem shaves!

Nice post. Is there any difference in shave between the 12 and 17 nib bar versions. I just picked up a 12 nib MMCP yesterday.

Ron R

Nice post. Is there any difference in shave between the 12 and 17 nib bar versions. I just picked up a 12 nib MMCP yesterday.
Gem clog pruf
I bored this from another thread because I do not have both, The earlier models (12 nibs) is a hybrid safety bar of the MMOC IMO.

pjgh
Details ... details ...

There are two types of Clog Pruf - one with 17 teeth, the other with 12. The 12 tooth is more readily found.

proxy.php

17 Tooth

proxy.php

12 tooth

In terms of the shave, I don't think there's any difference ... just the 17 tooth is brass and so feels smoother, but that's probably all in my mind.

Last edited:
I picked up the travel Gem 1912 after reading it was a more aggressive shave than the standard version. It's not readily apparent why that would be but I'll give it a go.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I picked up the travel Gem 1912 after reading it was a more aggressive shave than the standard version. It's not readily apparent why that would be but I'll give it a go.
proxy.php

If you look at your picture, you can see how close the blade edge is to the edge of the comb than the other one, it has more blade exposure.

If you look at your picture, you can see how close the blade edge is to the edge of the comb than the other one, it has more blade exposure.
My eyes ain't so good but yes I see now , thanks.

Disappointed it has the old Damaskeene/1914 threading so no easy handle swap.

Last edited:

Ron R

I see more blade reveal on the curved cap razor and does seem closer to the edge and that would also give more blade exposure. The picture could be a illusion for the blade exposure and could be measured to confirm your conclusion @rabidus with a vernier caliper by measuring from front edge of blade to front edge of guard and compare it to the other razor !
Nice find @jmudrick and enjoy them.

I see more blade reveal on the curved cap razor and does seem closer to the edge and that would also give more blade exposure. The picture could be a illusion for the blade exposure and could be measured to confirm your conclusion @rabidus with a vernier caliper by measuring from front edge of blade to front edge of guard and compare it to the other razor !
Thanks. I've had and enjoy the standard 1912 a lot.

I have one and it's quite the little beast!

GEM 1912...Really?

imag0384_1-jpg.809030

Top Bottom