What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
Bummer! Around here (New Hampshire) I’ve seen them at Rite Aid also (a store brand; not the Gems I’ve seen at Walgreens) and I even saw them at the local grocery store.
Whatever you do, don’t get the similar looking blades from the hardware store—they are not suitable for shaving!

Thanks. I went to 6 stores today including a Walgreens and a beauty supply store and none hade blades. I guess I'll have to order online.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

If you go to Walgreen's website and search GEM blades, they will tell you which stores have them.

If you go to Walgreen's website and search GEM blades, they will tell you which stores have them.
When I got home I checked online and the only store around me that stocks them is to far in the wrong direction. But I can order them into the store by my wife's work with no shipping cost. Plus a very generous member here offered to send me a few Gem ptfe blades to try.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEM 1958> Push button razor Gem 1959 push-button razor (2).jpg

Blade gap:
.023 thousands of a inch(.58mm)

Weight: 1.59 oz (45 grams)

Blade exposure: positive

Blade: GEM Personna stainless steel PTFE(Teflon coated)(7 uses)

Handling: Handle took a little getting use to compared to other models but once I felt comfortable I rather enjoyed this handle.

With a new blade the razor handled with ease and used it daily with no issues for a week solid and IMO would make a excellent daily driver for someone who shaves daily. With a 2 1/2 pass WTG & ATG with clean up I received a DFS>bbs and with a 3 pass WTG+XTG+ATG+clean up I received usually a CCS>DFS>Bbs range.

The blade is clamped solid if push button is not damaged (I had to add a little plastic shim .015 at back of razor cap) and the razor became like new or better IMO.

This Gem appeals to my eyes the most for appearance because of the black and gold colors with the GEM logo at the front.

If you like a mild razor with good efficiency this one would be OK and if in good working order mechanically you will enjoy it like I have & will in the future.

I also performed J hooking, buffing and GEM slide with greatest of ease and I’m “happy happy camper” to found another great GEM razor for those days you just want a DFS and no weepers or irritation.

So for the very affordable price I paid and the good results DFS > Bbs range also with the great handling it brings, with reasonable GEM technique (Very Shallow) it becomes another GEM great razor.

Gem Push button review Jan3-2018 (2).jpg

For those who have no operating Manuals.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg
Have some great GEM shaves!

Last edited:
GEM 1958> Push button razor View attachment 940401

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch(.58mm)

Weight: 1.59 oz (45 grams)

Blade exposure: positive

Blade: GEM Personna stainless steel PTFE(Teflon coated)(7 uses)

Handling: Handle took a little getting use to compared to other models but once I felt comfortable I rather enjoyed this handle.

With a new blade the razor handled with ease and used it daily with no issues for a week solid and IMO would make a excellent daily driver for someone who shaves daily. With a 2 1/2 pass WTG & ATG with clean up I received a DFS>bbs and with a 3 pass WTG+XTG+ATG+clean up I received usually a CCS>Bbs.

The blade is clamped solid if push button is not damaged (I had to add a little plastic shim .015) and the razor became like new or better IMO.

This Gem appeals to my eyes the most for appearance because of the black and gold colors with the GEM logo at the front.

If you like a mild razor with good efficiency this one would be OK and if in good working order mechanically you will enjoy it like I have & will in the future.

I also performed J hooking, buffing and GEM slide with greatest of ease and I’m “happy happy camper” to found another great GEM razor for those days you just want a DFS and no weepers or irritation.

So for the very affordable price I paid and the good results DFS > Bbs also with the great handling it brings, with reasonable GEM technique (Very Shallow) it becomes another GEM great razor.

View attachment 940400
For those who have no operating Manuals.
View attachment 940402 View attachment 940403
This has been a great thread and I'm learning a lot before my first gem shave.
I'm familiar with Gem slide and J hook but not sure what buffing is.

Ron R

This has been a great thread and I'm learning a lot before my first gem shave.
I'm familiar with Gem slide and J hook but not sure what buffing is.

Basic buffing are very short strokes continuous repeated barely lifting the razor in a area were the beard is tough to cut. A very aggressive razor would scrap the skin off attempting a lot of buffing where a mild to medium razor can be used to shear the whiskers to surface with out scraping to much skin off, a good slick soap helps give the protection needed to glide the razor.

Thank you for the link. I kind of suspected it was something similar to that. Just never saw it done. So the push button is mild enough to do that. But would that be ill-advised with an MMOC or Star? I haven't shaved with either of mine yet but have read that the MMOC is quite aggressive and I'm not sure where the Star lands.

Ron R

Thank you for the link. I kind of suspected it was something similar to that. Just never saw it done. So the push button is mild enough to do that. But would that be ill-advised with an MMOC or Star? I haven't shaved with either of mine yet but have read that the MMOC is quite aggressive and I'm not sure where the Star lands.

With a mid aggressive high efficiency MMOC you might try it as the blade gets on in it's life cycle around 6 > shaves and the blade is not as effective to shear the stubborn whiskers. I think you choose wisely with your gear and just enjoy the results, the MMOC is more efficient than aggressive. The nice thing about riding the cap(shallow technique ) you can throttle the aggressiveness with this razor IMO and just learn it's strengths and weaknesses and no blade over hang to snag a ear or nose is very nice. Here's a link to what a aggressive and efficient razor is, everyone has their views and they are just as right as anyone because shaving is so opinionated I have discovered;).
What is a aggressive and efficient razor interpretation?

Ron R

Well on to the next Gem I own and that is the GEM micromatic flying wing, guiding eye, bullet handle....Gem flying wing (2).jpg
My impressions on the first shave were very positive, the shave was one of the smoothest of the models so far with a new GEM Personna SS PTFE.
Not sure why they cut production short for only one year but this razor is a shear joy for this daily shaver, you will not be disappointed for a medium type beard. I really must have good technique because the shaves I'm receiving are just what I want, nick free, weeper free and the alum block is saying why put the stuff on -that is how good it shaves.
End results DFS>CCS>Bbs and that is just what most men(women) want IMO also the cotton ball test hardly snagged any cotton on the beard!

Last edited:
Well on to the next Gem I own and that is the GEM micromatic flying wing, guiding eye, bullet handle....View attachment 940624
My impressions on the first shave were very positive, the shave was one of the smoothest of the models so far with a new GEM Personna SS PTFE.
Not sure why they cut production short for only one year but this razor is a shear joy for this daily shaver, you will not be disappointed for a medium type beard. I really must have good technique because the shaves I'm receiving are just what I want, nick free, weeper free and the alum block is saying why put the stuff on -that is how good it shaves.
End results DFS>CCS>Bbs and that is just what most men(women) want IMO also the cotton ball test hardly snagged any cotton on the beard!
I have to agree with you on that. The flying wing/bullet handle has to be the smoothest Gem ever!

Another very nice looking razor @Ron R. Buy the way do you have a picture of your Gem collection all together.

Another Clog-Pruf "Peerless", with instructions confirming 1946 production of the 17 nib model. Different case than my other Peerless.

proxy.php

Ron R

Another very nice looking razor @Ron R. Buy the way do you have a picture of your Gem collection all together.

My cabinet is a little cluttered and I have another stash of shaving equipment under the sink of spares and duplicate razors and all my blades. I got my son turned onto traditional wet shaving and those spares will go to him as he gets more curious (he is enjoying his Christmas package of new Razorock gear).
The extra hole in the Gem wood razor holder or Razor Quiver is for my Brass Gem 17 nib safety bar Micromatic Clog Pruf that is still bouncing around in the mail. This year was the year for Vintage RAD and had a great time collecting and reading and communicating with folks about our shaving hobby. Most of my vintage razors are great bargins IMO but shipping on the GEM's were the price of the razors or more. Oh well, that is the way it is and GEMS were not that popular for what ever reason in Rural Canada as the Gillette's or Schick's IMO.
Ron's shave cabinet (2).jpg

Gem Quiver (2).jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

Another Clog-Pruf "Peerless", with instructions confirming 1946 production of the 17 nib model. Different case than my other Peerless.

proxy.php
Very nice @jmudrick, you have a eye for those deals. Hope it cleans up nice and works well for you. We might have to stop buying so future generations have something to buy.:a21::a21:

My cabinet is a little cluttered and I have another stash of shaving equipment under the sink of spares and duplicate razors and all my blades. I got my son turned onto traditional wet shaving and those spares will go to him as he gets more curious (he is enjoying his Christmas package of new Razorock gear).
The extra hole in the Gem wood razor holder or Razor Quiver is for my Brass Gem 17 nib safety bar Micromatic Clog Pruf that is still bouncing around in the mail. This year was the year for Vintage RAD and had a great time collecting and reading and communicating with folks about our shaving hobby. Most of my vintage razors are great bargins IMO but shipping on the GEM's were the price of the razors or more. Oh well, that is the way it is and GEMS were not that popular for what ever reason in Rural Canada as the Gillette's or Schick's IMO.
View attachment 940829

View attachment 940830
A very efficient and effective method of storing efficient and effective razors. I like it.
Nice collection buy the way.

Very nice @jmudrick, you have a eye for those deals. Hope it cleans up nice and works well for you. We might have to stop buying so future generations have something to buy.:a21::a21:
Or we need to keep buying, to preserve them for future generations and be sure there's enough demand to keep them around so people don't think them useless and toss them.

Ron R

Or we need to keep buying, to preserve them for future generations and be sure there's enough demand to keep them around so people don't think them useless and toss them.

Good point, I think that is where a lot of them started going until online shopping came along and finally we have access to lost generations of shaving gear for the good:clap: or.......:cryin:

I really dig the look of the '58 Push Button. I used my yesterday for the first time in a while with a brandy new Gem PTFE blade which is apparently SHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRRRPPPPP (up till recently, I had been using Treets), and tenderized the hell out of my face lol.
Most of my gold plating is worn away which is a real shame. I think it looks much better gold/black

Ron R

I really dig the look of the '58 Push Button. I used my yesterday for the first time in a while with a brandy new Gem PTFE blade which is apparently SHHHHHHAAAAAARRRRRRPPPPP (up till recently, I had been using Treets), and tenderized the hell out of my face lol.
Most of my gold plating is worn away which is a real shame. I think it looks much better gold/black
If you were doing all right before with your other Gems you might want to check to make sure the button is in good shape by lifting the front of the cap when locked to make sure it is clamping the blade down. Sounds like your push button had a lot of use so it might be worn. A quick fix is a little plastic shim I installed at the back of mine(.015 thousands of a inch from a yogurt lid.) Reference #87 & #148 on this thread.
They are a sharp blade and you might of been applying similar pressure as the Treet blade and scraped some skin.

Top Bottom