What's new

Gem Junior Bar blade stops?

Finally got hold of my first lather catcher but I'm wondering if the blade stops are supposed to be like this? Or are they squished? On my 1912 the blade goes under them... They at least seem to be fairly symmetrical:
20210711_112920.jpg20210711_112904.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Finally got hold of my first lather catcher but I'm wondering if the blade stops are supposed to be like this? Or are they squished? On my 1912 the blade goes under them... They at least seem to be fairly symmetrical:
View attachment 1295159View attachment 1295160
Congrats and a VERY nice looking lather catcher -- I'm assuming a GEM Junior Bar, from the photo. So the blade stops look fine to me. The early razor blade stops (at least many on many of the lather catchers of the day) were little more than built-up pieces of brass. The brass wears down over time, and for some of those razors, there isn't enough to catch the blade -- which is a REAL problem. As long as you've got enough of a "nub" to catch the blade and keep it from flying forward, you're in good shape. I'm unable to go take a couple of shots of one of my lather catchers at the moment, but when I get a moment, I can set your mind at ease with what will look like a very similar photo to yours.

Please let us know how it shaves for you....I'm a fan of the Gem lather catchers, and the ones with a swing bar are a particular favorite of mine.

Also, you can find many, MANY lather catchers here -- you can also consider yourself a member of this august association:
The Association of Lather Catchers (TALC)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1295159View attachment 1295160
Congratulations on your Gem lather catcher, from your photo's I agree with Fred @Flintstone65 that your blade stops look OK.
Here are a few of my Lather catchers (L) Star bar #4 & (R) Gem Junior bar and the blade stops are normal and working great.
Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (5).jpg

Enjoy the experience and the audio feedback!

Thanks for the reassurances! My uncertainty came from it being seemingly stamped in a way quite similar to the 1912 and the die would just have to push the stops a bit further for them to accept the blade underneath like that. And it would clearly change the blade exposure quite a bit so wanted to be sure I was using it as intended. Looking forward to the experience, you're echoing a lot of enthusiasm I've seen for these and it's just a cool object.

Top Bottom