What's new

Gelousy SHD Brushes | AP Shave Company Gel Brush | Growing On Me

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Really thinking about picking up a 24 or 26 mm. Which would you recommend for someone with very coarse whiskers, and which style of knot? I only have bulb knots and have never used fan knots. My soaps are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Stirling and my creams are TOBS.

I'd say a 24 mm bulb. These are really big knots for their size; read my earlier posts on that subject.

Fan or bulb? To me it doesn't make much difference. I know some guys say it matters; I think it's largely just your choice largely based on how they look to you. I like bulbs and hybrids and don't like the flat top fan look, but the kinda hybrid fans are ok (in my view).

I face lather all the time, and don't see much difference in the shape (as a practical matter).

These brushes are fine with hard soaps and should be great with creams, too.

Generally, some brushes don't have what some people think of as enough backbone for hard soaps (so they'd maybe use them mostly for creams), but I've used some very floppy brushes with little backbone on pretty hard soaps. Your very coarse whiskers will appreciate it.

You want enough scrub. This one has enough scrub. Work the lather into and around your whiskers by spending some time scrubbing with the brush as you gradually add a lot of water to make a very well hydrated lather.

That's my two cents.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd say a 24 mm bulb. These are really big knots for their size; read my earlier posts on that subject.

Fan or bulb? To me it doesn't make much difference. I know some guys say it matters; I think it's largely just your choice largely based on how they look to you. I like bulbs and hybrids and don't like the flat top fan look, but the kinda hybrid fans are ok (in my view).

I face lather all the time, and don't see much difference in the shape (as a practical matter).

These brushes are fine with hard soaps and should be great with creams, too.

Generally, some brushes don't have what some people think of as enough backbone for hard soaps (so they'd maybe use them mostly for creams), but I've used some very floppy brushes with little backbone on pretty hard soaps. Your very coarse whiskers will appreciate it.

You want enough scrub. This one has enough scrub. Work the lather into and around your whiskers by spending some time scrubbing with the brush as you gradually add a lot of water to make a very well hydrated lather.

That's my two cents.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for your insight. I was looking at APShaveCo's website and saw they have the 24mm with the beehive handle you have and a 26mm with a more normal(?) shaped handle. How does the beehive handle feel in the hand?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for your insight. I was looking at APShaveCo's website and saw they have the 24mm with the beehive handle you have and a 26mm with a more normal(?) shaped handle. How does the beehive handle feel in the hand?

Great!

You're looking at the Gelousy knots?

If you're looking at AP Shave's other brushes I don't know anything from my own experience about those knots.

Great!

You're looking at the Gelousy knots?

If you're looking at AP Shave's other brushes I don't know anything from my own experience about those knots.
Right I'm looking at the Gelousy knots. They have a 26mm bulb brush with a green tipped handle and they have 24 and 28mm brushes with your beehive handle.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Right I'm looking at the Gelousy knots. They have a 26mm bulb brush with a green tipped handle and they have 24 and 28mm brushes with your beehive handle.

1586650026684.png

These are the only ones I see.

Oops...

1586650222748.png

I found more ^.

Interesting.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Here is the link I'm looking at.

Thanks. Yeah, I found it; see above. They don't have 'em organized and grouped very well.

Just be aware these knots are a whole lot bigger than most knots in the same size.

I'm a fan of very large knots. I generally think of 24 mm as the smallest I'd consider buying. I generally buy 27 or 28 mm brushes. In this brush, were I doing it over, I'd consider the 22 mm. My guess is the 22 mm is larger than most 24 mm knots and probably larger than some 26 mm knots.

That's not to say I don't like the 28 mm knot, but it really is huge in how it feels probably partially because these are seriously dense knots. Much much more dense than you might think. They take a long time to dry, too, because of that, and because you can't towel dry the tips.

For me to consider 22 mm amazes even me.

Thanks. Yeah, I found it; see above. They don't have 'em organized and grouped very well.

Just be aware these knots are a whole lot bigger than most knots in the same size.

I'm a fan of very large knots. I generally think of 24 mm as the smallest I'd consider buying. I generally buy 27 or 28 mm brushes. In this brush, were I doing it over, I'd consider the 22 mm. My guess is the 22 mm is larger than most 24 mm knots and probably larger than some 26 mm knots.

That's not to say I don't like the 28 mm knot, but it really is huge in how it feels probably partially because these are seriously dense knots. Much much more dense than you might think. They take a long time to dry, too, because of that, and because you can't towel dry the tips.

For me to consider 22 mm amazes even me.
Much appreciated. Your ringing endorsement gives has convinced me to go for either a 22mm or 24mm. I just flipped a coin and it landed on heads which was 24mm so that's what I get to look forward to once this covid madness settles down.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Much appreciated. Your ringing endorsement gives has convinced me to go for either a 22mm or 24mm. I just flipped a coin and it landed on heads which was 24mm so that's what I get to look forward to once this covid madness settles down.

I think you'll like it.

It would be incorrect for me to say mine is my favorite brush, but it's a very interesting and very soft brush with decent backbone and scrub. Did I mention how incredibly soft it feels on my face?

I think you'll like it a lot.

Flipping a coin is sometimes a great idea. If yours seems too big you can blame the coin.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mine's 28 mm. I usually like the biggest knots. I've mentioned this before, but may I mention it again just to confuse you.
This is a very interesting brush. I was warned before I bought mine about how big the knots are.

To be clear I'm not saying I don't like the brush or warning you off. I am trying to convey what Frank tried to convey to me. If you like really large brushes this might be just wha the doctor ordered. If you're on the fence about huge brushes I won't suggest starting with this one in 28 mm.

I've also had trouble loading and lathering once or twice, but not usually. I have no idea what that means. Usually I've enjoyed the brush. It's extremely soft tips need to be cared for properly (see the OP).

View attachment 1081644

The one in the middle seems like the biggest knot in my experience of it. The others are brushes I compare its size to.

Happy shaves,

Jim
They are all really good looking handles. Nice brushes.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I have their 26mm knot set in a chubby-like handle at about 50 mm and it's large enough. I'm starting to love this brush. If you want I can post a picture.

I'm a big fan of this knot. I have the 28mm as well and it's just plush as a pillow but with a density I've not really experienced before as well. It's my first badger brush and it does occasionally lose a hair which makes me worry I may not be doing something right with it's upkeep. But I've tried going back to one of my synthetics and that one almost feels scratchy or harsh compares to this luscious feel.

I do call it my weekend "diva" brush however. Well I used to when I had to get up early to make it to work and was on a strict clock. It's fussy with soaps, sometimes needing a ravenous amount to get truly loaded over my synthetic that barely needs a few swirls. But with time to dedicate to building it up properly it's fantastic experience and a joy to the face and dome.

Attachments

• 20200425_145655.jpg
    20200425_145655.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a big fan of this knot. I have the 28mm as well and it's just plush as a pillow but with a density I've not really experienced before as well. It's my first badger brush and it does occasionally lose a hair which makes me worry I may not be doing something right with it's upkeep. But I've tried going back to one of my synthetics and that one almost feels scratchy or harsh compares to this luscious feel.

I do call it my weekend "diva" brush however. Well I used to when I had to get up early to make it to work and was on a strict clock. It's fussy with soaps, sometimes needing a ravenous amount to get truly loaded over my synthetic that barely needs a few swirls. But with time to dedicate to building it up properly it's fantastic experience and a joy to the face and dome.

Losing an occasional hair is nothing to worry about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom