What's new

Gelousy SHD Brushes | AP Shave Company Gel Brush | Growing On Me

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I face lathered once again with this brush.

APShave.Brush.Gel.640.10-14-19.JPG

In the photo above the brush is brand new.

APShaveCo.ZenithManchurian.MS30mm.640.10-14-19.JPG

In this picture it's between the copper handled Zenith Manchurian 28 mm beauty and the 33 mm (by my measurement) MS silvertip wall of badger. My AP Shave Gel brush is 28 mm according to the vendor but I measure it as 30 mm.

By any standard it is a very very large knot. It's larger than a 28 mm knot has any right to be.

When I first used this brush I didn't much like it. It didn't load particularly well nor did it lather as well as I want a brush to, but things have changed.

1576691216113.png

The brush's grade is higher than merely passing.

It's improved a lot as it's broken in. I have no complaints now about its loading or lathering capacities. It's a very nice brush indeed particularly in the Department of Soft. No, I'm not at all saying it lacks backbone and scrub. It's certainly not as backbone heavy as the Zenith Manchurian but it has plenty of backbone.

These gel tips are in another world of soft!

However, that doesn't mean anything else is lacking. This is a very good brush which just happens to be incredibly soft.

11-9-19.Dorko.MdC.APShave.Gel.640.JPG

As you might suspect, the 28mm Gelousy SHD Bulb is an extremely dense brush. In this photo you can see how the knot has opened up with use.

Anyone buying the brush needs to know a few things. All of these are provided in this material, linked, on the vendor's sales page. I'll cover a couple of the highlights.
  • It's a weird brush in that it feels extremely stiff when dry and extremely soft when wet. When dry it feels way way too stiff and crunchy, like it scares you to think about using it. Don't fear. Wet, it's a totally different animal.
  • It's supposed to air dry. You're not to mash the tips into the towel as that will damage the gel tips. In my experience it is not dry by tomorrow but it is dry by day after tomorrow (in my dry house).
  • Unless you're a huge brush nut like me you might want to consider buying one of the smaller brushes. This is a seriously large 28 mm brush which seems even larger in use.
  • That's not to say it's too big for fans of huge brushes. Just know what you're getting into.
  • Generally I think of a normal sized brush as being 24 mm or larger, but I am kinda sorta thinking about maybe one day getting another one of these brushes in 22 mm. That's how big these brushes are. Normally I wouldn't think of getting a 22 mm brush except as a novelty or travel brush. Did I mention density? They're not kidding about SHD! I'm not kidding about how big this knot is either.
  • The handle is really nice if you like the look which I do.
  • There's nothing about this knot or its handle which seems low end or cheap.
  • It has not lost a single hair.

11-25-19.Wade.DB.AP.Shave.Kit.640.JPG

Does this brush displace my favorite brush, the Zenith Manchurian in the copper handle? No, not by miles light years, but, still, I really do like the AP Shave Company Gelousy SHD.

A shout out to Frank @Dragonsbeard for telling me about the brush. I'm glad I bought it and like using it. I suspect anyone would. It's my only gel tip so I can't compare it to any others.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I am sorry to sound crazy, but what exactly are gel tips? Is it a natural thing or something else?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am sorry to sound crazy, but what exactly are gel tips? Is it a natural thing or something else?

From the vendor's website...

This specially treated 2 Band Finest Badger, in Super High Density (SHD) knot is designed to hook at the tips, consistently creating the perfect and highly sought after hooked, gel tips.

This is my only gel tip. I know almost nothing about gel tips. I've read that all gel tips are treated two bands made to hook by the magic of chemistry.

Of course, I've also read that most badgers and some boars and all Manchurians are chemically treated, but that doesn't make it correct. Nor incorrect.

1576711337073.png

That's the question for me. Not whether the sausage is made in a certain way.

BTW, I don't eat sausage, but you know what I mean.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Great review! I'm definitely interested in the gelousy knots but I feel that they might be too Gelly. I have SHD gel tip knots that I really enjoy. It's really soft while keeping a good backbone with the shorter loft.

I feel that there are three types of badgers once you go high enough. It's either no-gel, normal-gel, or Ultra-gel (Gelousy). Enough gel for the day, haha.

This is my only gel tip. I know almost nothing about gel tips. I've read that all gel tips are treated two bands made to hook by the magic of chemistry.

Of course, I've also read that most badgers and some boars and all Manchurians are chemically treated, but that doesn't make it correct. Nor incorrect.

View attachment 1044808

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you.

View attachment 1044808

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim you mentioned that at first it didn't seem like the knot was loading soap very well, has that improved/changed? I was actually looking at one of these in a smaller size so was interested by that part of your comment.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim you mentioned that at first it didn't seem like the knot was loading soap very well, has that improved/changed? I was actually looking at one of these in a smaller size so was interested by that part of your comment.

Yes, it seems to have improved. It may not be my very easiest to load knot, but it's definitely acceptable now. I suppose it's "broken in" a bit or something like that. It's gone from being a brush I didn't like and was sorry I'd purchased to being a brush I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The soft gel tips feel great on the face. However, the soft tips are not so great at “grabbing” soap and loading takes a bit longer with hard soaps. I tend to prefer to use my gel tip badgers with creams and croaps.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As I continue on with the brush I continue to find it intermittently difficult to load and lather. Why? I don't know, but I'm in the process of trying to find out, a process which will be far from methodical, and much more like fumbling about without a clue.

Other than that, I stand by my OP.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I was originally thinking 28mm but I am open as to size.

Mine's 28 mm. I usually like the biggest knots. I've mentioned this before, but may I mention it again just to confuse you.
This is a very interesting brush. I was warned before I bought mine about how big the knots are.

To be clear I'm not saying I don't like the brush or warning you off. I am trying to convey what Frank tried to convey to me. If you like really large brushes this might be just wha the doctor ordered. If you're on the fence about huge brushes I won't suggest starting with this one in 28 mm.

I've also had trouble loading and lathering once or twice, but not usually. I have no idea what that means. Usually I've enjoyed the brush. It's extremely soft tips need to be cared for properly (see the OP).

1585826870552.png

The one in the middle seems like the biggest knot in my experience of it. The others are brushes I compare its size to.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Really thinking about picking up a 24 or 26 mm. Which would you recommend for someone with very coarse whiskers, and which style of knot? I only have bulb knots and have never used fan knots. My soaps are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Stirling and my creams are TOBS.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom