What's new

Gelousy SHD Brushes | AP Shave Company Gel Brush | Growing On Me

Interesting. Maybe I was right to get the 28 mm knot.

26mm might be plenty. It's dense like the Maggards but not as much backbone.

I've been asking for my handles to be drilled 20mm in depth so can set the knot loft myself and use quarters or spacers to increase of needed.. Use some RTV Silicone and you should be in business.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Really thinking about picking up a 24 or 26 mm. Which would you recommend for someone with very coarse whiskers, and which style of knot? I only have bulb knots and have never used fan knots. My soaps are Mitchell's Wool Fat and Stirling and my creams are TOBS.

Others see it differently, but I don't think it matters much. I prefer hybrids and bulbs to fans, but I think it's mostly about appearance. They all work fine in my experience as a face latherer.

I don't know about bowl lathering.

In this knot I'd be tempted to say to get the 22 mm or the 24 mm unless you like really huge knots; see my OP.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
The one I had borrowed was 24mm with a 54mm loft at least if I recall...flop monster but if someone doesn't care for backbone then it would be a great painter

Well, that may happen with 54mm loft on 24mm. That's why I prefer larger knot and a shorter loft.

Today I face lathered once again with this brush.

View attachment 1044686

In the photo above the brush is brand new.

View attachment 1044687

In this picture it's between the copper handled Zenith Manchurian 28 mm beauty and the 33 mm (by my measurement) MS silvertip wall of badger. My AP Shave Gel brush is 28 mm according to the vendor but I measure it as 30 mm.

By any standard it is a very very large knot. It's larger than a 28 mm knot has any right to be.

When I first used this brush I didn't much like it. It didn't load particularly well nor did it lather as well as I want a brush to, but things have changed.

View attachment 1044703

The brush's grade is higher than merely passing.

It's improved a lot as it's broken in. I have no complaints now about its loading or lathering capacities. It's a very nice brush indeed particularly in the Department of Soft. No, I'm not at all saying it lacks backbone and scrub. It's certainly not as backbone heavy as the Zenith Manchurian but it has plenty of backbone.

These gel tips are in another world of soft!

However, that doesn't mean anything else is lacking. This is a very good brush which just happens to be incredibly soft.

View attachment 1044689

As you might suspect, the 28mm Gelousy SHD Bulb is an extremely dense brush. In this photo you can see how the knot has opened up with use.

Anyone buying the brush needs to know a few things. All of these are provided in this material, linked, on the vendor's sales page. I'll cover a couple of the highlights.
  • It's a weird brush in that it feels extremely stiff when dry and extremely soft when wet. When dry it feels way way too stiff and crunchy, like it scares you to think about using it. Don't fear. Wet, it's a totally different animal.
  • It's supposed to air dry. You're not to mash the tips into the towel as that will damage the gel tips. In my experience it is not dry by tomorrow but it is dry by day after tomorrow (in my dry house).
  • Unless you're a huge brush nut like me you might want to consider buying one of the smaller brushes. This is a seriously large 28 mm brush which seems even larger in use.
  • That's not to say it's too big for fans of huge brushes. Just know what you're getting into.
  • Generally I think of a normal sized brush as being 24 mm or larger, but I am kinda sorta thinking about maybe one day getting another one of these brushes in 22 mm. That's how big these brushes are. Normally I wouldn't think of getting a 22 mm brush except as a novelty or travel brush. Did I mention density? They're not kidding about SHD! I'm not kidding about how big this knot is either.
  • The handle is really nice if you like the look which I do.
  • There's nothing about this knot or its handle which seems low end or cheap.
  • It has not lost a single hair.

View attachment 1044690

Does this brush displace my favorite brush, the Zenith Manchurian in the copper handle? No, not by miles light years, but, still, I really do like the AP Shave Company Gelousy SHD.

A shout out to Frank @Dragonsbeard for telling me about the brush. I'm glad I bought it and like using it. I suspect anyone would. It's my only gel tip so I can't compare it to any others.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Hey Jim, thank you for the wright up and pics. As of today I have moved to #40 on Wolf Whiskers web site.. I'm thinking I'm next in the next 5 weeks or so. I have been beating my brain trying to figure out what Knot to get set in this one of a kind brush handle.. I have a few synthetic brushes that I enjoy, but do prefer a SHD Badger Fan knot to even my other badgers, silvertip etc.. I have been looking really hard at this AP Shave Co Gelousy Knot. I have read good comments on the knot on this thread loading size etc.. Can you or any other member give me feedback on how the lather flows.. Biggest peev is having a great Knot that does not want to give up the Lather, Thanks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim, thank you for the wright up and pics. As of today I have moved to #40 on Wolf Whiskers web site.. I'm thinking I'm next in the next 5 weeks or so. I have been beating my brain trying to figure out what Knot to get set in this one of a kind brush handle.. I have a few synthetic brushes that I enjoy, but do prefer a SHD Badger Fan knot to even my other badgers, silvertip etc.. I have been looking really hard at this AP Shave Co Gelousy Knot. I have read good comments on the knot on this thread loading size etc.. Can you or any other member give me feedback on how the lather flows.. Biggest peev is having a great Knot that does not want to give up the Lather, Thanks.

Mine does hog and eat lather.

Which SHD badger is yours and how much of a lather hog is it?
I have two brush handles with the Maggards SHD knots 24mm each. I find they hold a lot of lather but the flow thru is really good. Thanks for asking as I should have asked how the Gelousy compares to the Maggards SHD!! I really enjoy this particular knot and am just unsure if the Gelousy is on par or better. For the price of the AP knot I suppose I could buy one and put it in a Maggard handle and give it a go, I have a few weeks..

IMG_2048.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1588966222074.png

Really pretty colors in the handle. Nice looking ^ brush.

@Mountain Grown, I don't have the SHD Maggard knots. I have their 26 mm 70/30 which is mixed badge (finest or two band) and boar, but that doesn't count.

5-7-20.Vitos-Green.70:30.FOCS.640.JPG

That's ^ my 70/30.

Your knot is - I'm just being curious - one of these (I think).
  • two band (I think)
  • silvertip (unlikely but maybe; what do I know?)
And yours might also be what Maggard says (in the description on the Maggard sales page) the knot's Chinese manufacturer calls "Manchurian?"

I believe but don't know for sure that the Maggard knots are made by Oumo. I'm much more certain that the AP Shave Gelousy knot is the same knot that Oumo calls their SHD "Hook" (that information has been published in several places).

I don't know if all the Oumo SHD knots are the same density or have the same lather hog and/or flow-through characteristics.

So, I'm not being helpful at all. Sorry.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim, I appreciate your time.. Knots are such a subjective thing. I wouldn't be so paranoid about what I put in it if it wasn't a custom brush handle. Just do not want to take a chance of damage to have it re knotted.. After thinking on it this morning I think I will just buy the Gelousy knot and put it in a cheaper handle. If I like it then good to go.. Thanks.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim, I appreciate your time.. Knots are such a subjective thing. I wouldn't be so paranoid about what I put in it if it wasn't a custom brush handle. Just do not want to take a chance of damage to have it re knotted.. After thinking on it this morning I think I will just buy the Gelousy knot and put it in a cheaper handle. If I like it then good to go.. Thanks.

Maybe with silicone?

I've only installed one knot and that was with silicone. So far it's held up just fine. Mostly I wanted to ensure that the depth (loft) was right and that the knot itself suited me before I epoxied the knot. I figured using silicone would make a do over easy.

You probably already know about that stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A member had asked how SHD Gelousy knots would compare with Maggard's SHD. Can anybody comment on which of the two knots splay lather better (i.e., is less of a lather hog)? I understand that the answer would depend on the knot and loft size, but apple for apple comparison.

Jim sounds happy but not over-enthusiastic about the Gelousy knots and that makes me quite reluctant to make the purchase without input from a few other knowledgeable members like Jim!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A member had asked how SHD Gelousy knots would compare with Maggard's SHD. Can anybody comment on which of the two knots splay lather better (i.e., is less of a lather hog)? I understand that the answer would depend on the knot and loft size, but apple for apple comparison.

Jim sounds happy but not over-enthusiastic about the Gelousy knots and that makes me quite reluctant to make the purchase without input from a few other knowledgeable members like Jim!

It's not a brush I'd recommend now. While it performs okay I found the feel of the knot became, over time, disagreeable, and just not to my taste. Someone said they found it disgusting. While I wouldn't go quite as far as that, I understood what they meant. I think about selling it.

I'm not buying another "gel" of any type, but if you like gels this might be worth trying.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim! You still have not tried any of Maggard's SHD knots, have you? I have one in order based on recommendations and reviews.

Top Bottom