What's new

"G in D" stamp real meaning?

hello,

I recently bought a gillette pioneer olympic set from france that i'm tryng to restore because the case is in very bad conditions.
the razor of this set comes with the expected "G in D" stamp.
It's my second razor with this stamp and, as I don't know much about its meaning, I tried to collect some information about but I still have a lot of doubts and I hope that you can help me to undestand.

Here a summary of what I found about the "G in D" stamp.

What it's known for sure about the "G in D" stamp:

- used only on plated razors (both silver and gold) for the french market
- visible on different razor types (but mainly on single rings)
- it appears on gillette razors made between 10's and early 30's

Basically I found on B&B and other forums two possible explenations for the presence of the "G in D" stamp:

1) "G in D" stamp it's used on repaired razors.

2) "G in D" stamp it's a sort of "legal requirement" required on plated items imported in france in that period.

In the first case it must be noted that in "G in D" stamp was used by Gillette exclusively on plated razors for the french market and not for other variants (for example not on not-plated razors for the french market or for plated razors sold in other countries) and only in that period. In addition the "G in D" stamp appears also in several NOS sets.

In my opinion, it's difficult to say this is the right explenation for the "G in D" stamp.

As regard the second hypothesis: I have several french razors of the same era and no one have this symbol and this is coherent with the fact that it was required only on imported razors. But I have never seen a "G in D" stamp on any other plated razor of any other brand that exported razor to France in that period.

Finally: Anyone knows if "G in D" stamp is visible also on not-Gilette razor?

If so,in my opinion, this could be the rigth explenation, if not maybe we should consider "G in D" stamp like a symbol used exclusively by Gillette for a different reason.

Thanks,

Andy

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Andy , I will be watching this thread , I would like to know.
This is the first time that I have read about the "G in D" stamp.

R

romsitsa

Hello, Buick posted a lighter (imported to France) with a very similar marking, so we can say it was a refulation that had to be followed by companies exporting plated goods to France.
The G in D was done by Gillette as Nos sets have it. What it really meant/when it had to be added, is not clear as the Canadian plant stamped the cases, while Boston stamped the combs. The blade boxes were never marked, although some came in gold plating.

Adam

steve,
there are a couple of threat about the "G in D" stamp on B&B.
do tou have any razor with this stamp?

adam,
I have a 460B set made in England and the single ring of the olympic set made in USA. So I forgot to say that you can find both razors made in the usa or in england.
I hope the Buick can share with us some pics of its ligther.
I look at my single ring with a magnifier. the "G in D" stamp is stamped like the gillette logo where the "made in U.S.A." seems to be engraved.
I will post a picture tomorrow
Thanks,
andy

I believe the "D" references one of 2 things. First, a Duty that was paid when importing the Gillette Razor. G in D could signify that Gillette paid the duty or "Droit". Secondly, it could refer to the razor being an "Of Gillette", Gillette d'object. "Importé de Gillette.
If the second, it was in response to some history of objects point of origins being misrepresented. There was a practice of passing off articles as being "articles de Paris", "nouveautes de Paris", or "modes Parisienes", discrediting Parisienne fashion sense and reputation. I beileve the G-in-D stamp was done to make sure that the Gillette razors bore it's stamp and not the mark of another French house or French locality, in order to deceive purchasers into supposing them to be of French origin.

Ok! I too think that it could be a symbol for imported items but i’m not sure that it’s something due to the french “laws” or instead a gillette own choice.
This is why i’m interested in finding out other items with the “G inD”

I’ve seen the ball-end of an Old Type handle stamped, the comb of a New Improved(fixed comb) and of course the comb for Both Old Types. The most recent was the NI, with a date of 1927.
1916 is the oldest one with the GinD that I have seen, on an Old Type, but not the one with the stamped handle.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of oddities. The handle AND a Canadian Old Type base plate .
GinD oddities.jpg

R

romsitsa

Hello,

found the thread: The G inside the D stamping, once and for all....

As it was discussed in the British Single ring thread (iirc) there are actually four “unknown” Gillette stamp variants.
Star, only found on British Single rings, most likely connected to Italy.
G in a square, only found on Pat.Nov.N marked Single rings imported to France.
G in D found on any US/Canadian (Canada went with stamped cases) Gillette razor before the New.
G in D with a diamond under the G, found on News, imported to France from the US.
British News only had the Importe D’ Angleterre inscription.
Going with the New variant, it’s clearly something that Gillette added to razors intended for France. And it was stamped during production.

My earliest GinD is an ABC from 1909 the latest a New from around 1930.

As all razors, cases, shippers, blade boxes were marked with place of origin, brand and patents, I don’t think Gillette needed another mark to identify its products, so I opt for French requirement by law.
The big question for me is, how the existence of the stamp was checked (if it was checked) as the razors case was wrapped and sealed and the shipper was also sealed.

Adam

There was a "law" was established in response to some history of objects point of origins being misrepresented with goods being sold. There was a practice of passing off articles as being "articles de Paris", "nouveautes de Paris", or "modes Parisienes", discrediting Parisienne fashion sense and reputation.
There have been groups who have tracked this down for various guns, and it required some of the same work.

Hello,

found the thread: The G inside the D stamping, once and for all....

As it was discussed in the British Single ring thread (iirc) there are actually four “unknown” Gillette stamp variants.
Star, only found on British Single rings, most likely connected to Italy.
G in a square, only found on Pat.Nov.N marked Single rings imported to France.
G in D found on any US/Canadian (Canada went with stamped cases) Gillette razor before the New.
G in D with a diamond under the G, found on News, imported to France from the US.
British News only had the Importe D’ Angleterre inscription.
Going with the New variant, it’s clearly something that Gillette added to razors intended for France. And it was stamped during production.

My earliest GinD is an ABC from 1909 the latest a New from around 1930.

As all razors, cases, shippers, blade boxes were marked with place of origin, brand and patents, I don’t think Gillette needed another mark to identify its products, so I opt for French requirement by law.
The big question for me is, how the existence of the stamp was checked (if it was checked) as the razors case was wrapped and sealed and the shipper was also sealed.

Adam

Reading this thread I was curious if my G in D and G in square razors followed the guidelines that Adam found in an older post. I did find two exceptions in my razors

I have a British Pocket Edition serial #G011465 with the G in D and a star , this seems to be counter to the star only being found on British Single Rings

G of D.JPG

The second exception is for the G in square only found on Pat.Nov.N marked Single rings imported to France. I have a British Single ring serial # F345325 that has the G in the square on the underside of the base plate . On the top side of the baseplate and the underside of the cap is the Gillette diamond with Known The World Over printed under the diamond .It is possible this razor was made in the US for the French market ?

G of D 1.JPG

Gof D 2.JPG

Glenn

R

romsitsa

Hello Glenn,

did the ABC come from ebay? It looks like I forgot to save the pics.
The Single ring has Brit.Pat around the lip of the inner tube or Pat.Nov.N?

Adam

Hello Glenn,

did the ABC come from ebay? It looks like I forgot to save the pics.
The Single ring has Brit.Pat around the lip of the inner tube or Pat.Nov.N?

Adam

Hi Adam

Yes the Pocket Edition is from eBay , I purchased it in March 2018 from a UK seller .There is no G in D on the flower pattern case

The single ring does have Pat Nov 15, 04 N on the top of the inner barrel . No Brit Pat info on the razor

Glenn

R

romsitsa

Hello,

checked wikipedia (I know...) and although I used google translate, it sounds quite logic.

Poinçon (métal précieux, France) — Wikipédia

“Hallmarks of responsibility (sometimes called "master")

There are five types of responsibility punches:
  • Hallmark
    • diamond-shaped master's mark for all articles made of precious metals made in France with legal titles;
    • square-shaped punch for "plated" ( electrochemicalprecious metal film) works made in France or introduced from a Member State of the European Union;
    • pentagonal shaped "shell" punch for works intended to be exported.
  • Importer hallmark
    • oval shaped liability mark, for articles of imported precious metal;
    • punch shaped terminal for the "plated" works imported into France.
These punches must be imposed before the one of title: they engage the responsibility of the manufacturer or the importer.

The punches depend on a person (jeweler, jeweler, watchmaker, goldsmith) and are destroyed on his death. Punches filed in the name of a company are destroyed at the closure of the company. This stamp contains at least its initial and a symbol (the "different") of its own.”

Adam

Top Bottom