What's new

G. F. Trumper soaps sub par?

Let me preface this by saying I started wet shaving in 2008 (never looked back!) and I tried some G.F. Trumpers rose soap back then but could not get a good lather. I got a thin watery blend and gave up on it as there are too many good soaps out there. I recently got a refill soap of their Eucris soap as I thought perhaps I was a rookie back then etc. ( you get the gist eh?). The Eucris is just as bad no matter how I try to get lather. Thin, watery , bubbly soap again! What am I doing wrong here? ( I tried Mantic's way, no luck) I am done with Trumpers. Taylor Of Old Bond Sandalwood soap is 100 times better than Trumper IMO. Sorry for the long rant!

Your not doing anything wrong.

If I have to do something that is more involved than other soaps to get the same results, then I do not care who the manufacturer is, it's not worth it especially if the price point is significantly higher.

I have tried a few Trumper samples (not the full tub, but I suspect the same results) and if the amount of work that is required just to get a decent lather is way more than dare I say anything from Barrister and Mann, (which is saying something for me .. :biggrin1: ) then it's time to move on.

Try using much less water and only a damp brush and load heavily, much more heavily then you typically do.

Their creams are top notch, IMO.

Last edited:
^+1!

Shaved last month with Eucris, used very little water; yes, i spent a little time whipping.
but i'm retired and i have the time!
overall great results, excellent scent!
Sorry it's not working for you.

trumpers eucris rooney joris may 29 2022.jpg

I've had the same experience. The Trumper's scents are wonderful. The creams are pretty good. The colognes and A/S products too. But I've been through 1 1/2 tubs of the rose soap and tossed the last half. What can I say I'm a slow learner.. Anyway too many better options to waste any more time on ut.

Your not doing anything wrong.

If I have to do something that is more involved than other soaps to get the same results, then I do not care who the manufacturer is, it's not worth it especially if the price point is significantly higher.

That is how I feel as well. There are just too many soaps out there that perform amazing that unless you enjoy the challenge I also stick with soaps that work with the way that I like to lather. I always load a lot and I face lather, but even so there are a few soaps that I just do not find worth the effort.

Early in my shaving career that was actually the tallow version of Tabac. I did not care for the scent and a super lather with TOBS sandalwood was so much more fun for me. Although unlike 15 years ago the hype around super lathers has died down a lot. I would often use mama bears unscented as a base and combine that with some cream.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
nice!

here's the story why trumper's lime product/packaging is pink, rather than green...
during WWII, green inks were in short supply due to military needs!
but reds were plentiful, hence the pinks!
B.I.O.N.!
That is a fascinating bit of history! Thank you! :)

This inspires my to use GFT Limes again on Thursday. :)

similar experience with first go at the Eucris soap. I love the scent, lather was mediocre at best. I've been at this wetshaving for 15+ years and have never had much trouble with any other creams or soaps (at least after the initial learning curve at the very beginning). I should've done more research on the GFT soaps... the creams are great! I just assumed their soaps were equally good. Will give it a few more tries with the Eucris. But like others, why try so hard when there are so many other good options out there that require far less effort? I'm not throwing in the towel on the GFT soaps... but very underwhelmed at this juncture.

Last edited:
I have 3 of their hard soaps. Could never get a lather out of them right.
I also can't lather Williams well either so maybe that means something haha

I have 3 of their hard soaps. Could never get a lather out of them right.
I also can't lather Williams well either so maybe that means something haha

Unfortunately, it's money wasted!

However, you can use them as a pre-shave stubble wash. It's a better use than as a bath soap.

Top Bottom