What's new

Fun day at the range yesterday (w/ pics)

I had fun at the range yesterday dialing in a 1959 Winchester M70 338 Win Mag Alaskan. I knew it liked Barnes 225 gr TTSX, but I thought I'd try out a bunch of different factory ammo including Federal 210 and 250 NPs, Hornady 185 GMX, 200 and 225 SST and Fusion 225s.

The rifle definitely likes 225 gr weight, and did well with the Barnes TTSX and Hornady 225 gr SST. The TTSX did the best. I noticed a little pattern when I shot. I got 2 shots very close together, and the third flies off a bit. The top left target, first two shots were the on the left and would have rated a .75. Top right target, first two shots were on the right and would have been a .3. Bottom left target, believe it or not the hole on the right is two bullets! That would have been .1 territory. The bottom right, first two shots are on the left which is about .5. I think it may be due to the barrel heating up between the 2nd and 3rd shot, which is causing the shot to stray. It may also be recoil pushing the end of the pistol grip to the rear bag, causing the muzzle to twist. I'll have to spend some more time dialing it in next go around.

The rifle is bedded in an Echols Legend stock, by Gene Simillion. He averaged .75 with 225 gr TTSX. It's scoped with a S&B Zenith 3-12x50. It's the first scope I've used in FFP and I love it!! Crystal clear and very positive.

Eric

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice rifle, and that is a fantastic range you are at! I would love to have access to a rifle range like that.

Fantastic range. Really nice rifle too, but i don't generally like synthethic stocks. Whats the recoil like with the .338 ? I'll bet that schmidt cost as much as the rifle :thumbup1:

Thanks guys! This is my only synthetic stock, an Echols Legend which I really like. The fit is great. The recoil isn't bad. I've had a few 375 H&Hs that would really jump on you. This is like a charged up 30-06.

The S&B wasn't cheap. LoL.

I'm going to get some loads developed that are closer to to what Gene Simillion used. That should work better and tighten up the groups compared to the factory ammo. It's a fun shooter!

I plan to use it on a boar hunt in the wine country in May.

Eric

It's a nice range, real close to the Mexican border. I drive about an hour south to get there.

Eric

I was shooting 100 yards, just getting a feel for this new rifle. I ordered some custom ammo from Copper Creek which should tighten the groups. It's a fun shooter! :)

Eric

Top Bottom