What's new

Fuller restoration part 2. Now with Boar and a Made Rite

A few months back I restored a vintage Fuller brush with a TGN badger knot. As mentioned in me thread, I was undecided if I should go badger or boar. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/472707-Fuller-restoration?highlight=fuller+restoration

Well I still had the temptation and luckily landed this Fuller handle. Its identical to my other handle. This time..... as you guessed.. I am going with boar...maybe.. this Maggards synthetic knot looks great too.

I also purchased a Made Rite handle that I had originally thought of installing the synthetic knot in.

Now for the pics

$IMG_3764.jpg$IMG_3766.jpg$IMG_3767.jpg

Here is the Maggards synthetic knot 22mm and a new/unused Omega boar brush. I did a little test fitting and this is where my "which knot to use" dilemma came up.

$IMG_3782.jpg
$IMG_3783.jpg$IMG_3784.jpg$IMG_3785.jpg

I drilled out the knots and sanded them with wool cloth. The Made Rite I just polished. It was in very nice shape.

$IMG_3808.jpg

Wow. I'm sure it's in this subforum somewhere but if I may ask the question. Probably for the millionth time. How do you get that shine? I have an old black and green eveready that's on my list to do.

I then cut off the plastic ring around the knot. I used my finger to bend the knot in order not to cut any of the bristles.
$IMG_3800.jpg

Once I had a slit cut in, I used a screwdriver to remove the ring.

$IMG_3802.jpg$IMG_3805.jpg

I then filled the handle with epoxy to add weight. The only reason I am posting is the I am waiting for them to cure. :001_smile Once finished I will post the finished products.

Wow. I'm sure it's in this subforum somewhere but if I may ask the question. Probably for the millionth time. How do you get that shine? I have an old black and green eveready that's on my list to do.
Plastic polish and a low speed buffing wheel. Two polishes. One to get the swirls from the steel wool out, and the other to get the shine. After the first polish, it looks pretty good. But the second one really gets the shine out.

Here are the finished brushes. Set with silicone of course.

The Fuller is 23mm with 53 mm loft. Knot came from Omega 10290

Made Rite is 22mm with 50mm loft- Maggard's synthetic knot

$photo (5).jpg$photo (7).jpg

Last edited:
First shave with the Made Rite. I am glad I used silicone. The tops are very soft, Plisson type soft. The lower loft added to the backbone. Unfortunately it also added to an unnatural splay. Do not get me wrong, if I purchased this brush I would be very happy with the results. The unnatural splay is minimal. I've purchased commercial synthetic brushes with more unnatural splays. Its part of the synthetic brush fiber. For those preferring the backbone, this would be great. I prefer to have a better splay and do not mind losing a little backbone to achieve this. For those wondering, the backbone of this knot is very similar to the Plisson. At a loft of 57mm (Plisson loft), this would be the same (backboneless) as the Plisson. I hope this helps future initial knot setting for someone.

View attachment 639541

that made rite is sweet nice job on both though

Thanks. I did ruin the handle though. When I was drilling out the knot, I went too far and through the handle. Luckily I was using a really small drill bit and the hole is small. I just couldn't get all the knot out without ruining the lip around the opening. I contemplated just tossing it, but figured it was worth installing the $6 synthetic knot just to find out if I liked it.

Top Bottom