What's new

From personal experience, how aggressive is the LA Shaving Soap Company’s BBS-1?

From personal experience, how aggressive is the LASSCo BBS-1?

• (>7.0) This razor is more aggressive than those below

• (7.0) Fatip (roughly around 7 to 7.5)

• (6.5) Above The Tie R1/R2 --OR-- Pearl/RazoRock

• (6.0) Pearl/RazoRock OC (roughly around 6 to 6.5)

• (5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models

• (5.0) Above The Tie M2

• (4.5) (no reference razor)

• (4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1

• (3.5) (no reference razor)

• (3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)

• (2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89

• (<2.5) This razor is less aggressive than those above

Results are only viewable after voting.
From personal experience, how aggressive is the LA Shaving Soap Company’s BBS-1?

Options (for those unable to use the interactive checkboxes above):

• (>7.0) This razor is more aggressive than those below
  • (7.0) Fatip (roughly around 7 to 7.5)
  • (6.5) Above The Tie R1/R2--OR-- Pearl OC
  • (6.0) Pearl OC (roughly around 6 to 6.5)
  • (5.5) Similar to Merkur slant bar models
  • (5.0) Above The Tie M2
  • (4.5) (no reference razor)
  • (4.0) Weber PH --OR-- Above The Tie M1
  • (3.5) (no reference razor)
  • (3.0) Merkur solid bar models (example: 34C)
  • (2.5) Edwin Jagger (or Muhle) model 89
  • (<2.5) This razor is less aggressive than those above

How are we defining “aggressive”?
Usually a razor is considered more aggressive if it is less protective from the blade (has more blade exposure), increasing the likelihood of cuts or irritation (especially for novice users).

If protectiveness seems about the same between two razor, these two aspects might also weigh into “aggressiveness”:

• More efficient, shaving more stubble in fewer passes
  • Closer shaving, cutting closer to the skin

Can't see the poll?
If you are using Tapatalk or a similarly incompatible browser/reader, and you do not see the interactive poll above (with checkboxes), please feel free to reply to this thread with a one line comment like, "My Vote: Razor X is more aggressive to me".

With what razor blade?
Please assume that each razor is used with an "average blade". The rationale is that this poll will result in a summary something along the lines of: "usually the average Razor X is more (or equally) aggressive than/to the average Razor Y for the average shaver" ... so we probably need to avoid a ranking that is dependent upon any specific blades.

With what razor handle?
If a razor head was sold with many different handle options … please try to match the head’s aggressiveness with an “average handle” … to the degree that is possible.

Don't vote twice!
Please do NOT vote in both ways (via a reply and the interactive checkboxes) on the same poll. However, if you accidentally do vote in both ways, please reply with an additional comment to help remind me to remove your comment-reply vote from the final manual tally.

Reminder:
Even if you already agree with the existing results ... please vote to increase our confidence in the poll!

Why this poll?
This poll is part of a series of polls towards averaging out the subjective experiences of numerous shavers, into a list of DE razors ranked by aggressiveness on a Scale of 1 to 10.

This poll will be open for only 30 days. Results will be added to the aggressiveness list in the “Modern Double-Edged Safety Razors Ranked by Aggressiveness” in B&B’s Wiki.

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,
Shawn

This is the first razor to have an Aggressiveness Survey where the manufacturer has shared the razor head specs:

blade exposure: 0.0mm

blade angle: 35 degrees
(fixed angle ... steep/shallow angles are inapplicable with a 0.0 mm blade exposure)

blade gap: 1mm

For reference, here are some photo illustrations of each measure (using a different brand of razor):

blade exposure:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1zWxr-Dv5qMAU3-ufBzpk-IVe9UXc_mpp_tnnKYlR_cw

blade angle:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1oJz_xwo3GAK3NTwsDVlgba4LHralU6cv5KHQ4UvaaQo

blade gap:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1NyTv43K7AEntXvfkPitz8YLyjzovOJe5O4Gns0HJWZA

-- EDIT --

Also for reference, here's a blade angle photo of the BBS-1 taken by Jinx18 and marked up by nuclearblast:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=511208

Last edited:
:popc: so far the LASSCo BBS-1 only have 5 survey responses....

Also, if anyone cares to discuss the razor, and how the shave compared to other razors for them ... that could be interesting as well.

From 8 responses, aggressiveness ratings are varying from 3.0 to 6.5 ... which is a larger variance than I would like to see ... but seems to reflect the YMMV of shaving....

It could also be that respondents are limited in their comparisons to which reference razors they have also used....

Regardless, with ~150 in production, I hope we can get more responses!

I don't think there are too many of this razor out there. There's a razor Registry on this site for the BBS-1 and there's maybe 20 to 25 people on it. I know I waited a really long time for the one I recently got and my razor is number 166.

I haven't tried all of the razors on the list but I rate the BBS-1 above my ATT M1 and below my ATT R1 or R2 in aggressiveness.

I'm going to give the BBS-1 about a 6.0 in aggressiveness, however it's on par with the ATT M1 in terms of comfort. So a nice close extremely comfortable shave. With just a little touch up the shave lasts well into the evening. I've used the Pearl and Merkur Slant razors as well and it's a closer shave like the Pearl but much more comfortable like the Slant.

I just got the PM... happy to respond... but the only other DE I have used is an Edwin Jagger DE89 so I don't really know if I'm qualified to respond to this.

I just got the PM... happy to respond... but the only other DE I have used is an Edwin Jagger DE89 so I don't really know if I'm qualified to respond to this.

I see your point, perhaps it would be unfeasible to give it numeric rating (especially since it isn't really a linear scale) ... but it would still be interesting to read your comparison between the BBS-1 and the EJ89.

Thanks!
Shawn

Last edited:
This is not a question that can be easily simplified into a 1 to 10 scale.

It has neutral blade exposure so by that standard it's fairly mild, but it has a 1mm blade gap, so by that standard it's fairly aggressive. It was designed to be extremely efficient, without being overly harsh. IMHO, people would be much better off reading more comprehensive reviews of the razor than going off of a number chart, as if you're going to spend that much money and wait that many months on the waiting list, it would be good to get as much information as possible to determine if the BBS-1 is likely to meet your needs.

I voted this razor's aggression at 3.5. I think it is smooth as silk and will cut the hairs to make your face near BBS in 2 passes. Now if I was drunk would I whip out this razor and start swiping at my face? That would be a big NO. This razor, like others, takes some figuring out of the angles and pressure needed.

Hi all,

I own all the razors mentioned in the 'aggressivness' ratings and believe that the bbs-1 is the least aggressive on the list.

As as I own bbs-1 number 3 serial number, I believe there may have been some changes to the design of the razor, as I feel that it doesn't perform very well at all. I still have stubble on my chin after the usual 3 passes. The razor also feels as if one side cuts more 'aggressively' than the other.

Hope this helps.

This is not a question that can be easily simplified into a 1 to 10 scale.

It has neutral blade exposure so by that standard it's fairly mild, but it has a 1mm blade gap, so by that standard it's fairly aggressive. It was designed to be extremely efficient, without being overly harsh. IMHO, people would be much better off reading more comprehensive reviews of the razor than going off of a number chart, as if you're going to spend that much money and wait that many months on the waiting list, it would be good to get as much information as possible to determine if the BBS-1 is likely to meet your needs.

I'm not trying to number crunch any sort of "buying recommendation number". I see aggressiveness like the size of a t-shirt (XS, small, medium, large, XL, etc). It isn't meant to reflect the quality of the shave (like efficiency and comfort), but just the aggressiveness (tendency to cut someone ... especially if they are new to DE shaving). If you think this BBS-1 "tshirt" is made of a stretching material (fits more than one size) then feel free to reply with a range between 1 and 10.

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers,
Shawn

I have used every razor on this list and more although I don't agree with the order. My weber is more aggressive then an ATT R1. That is a big difference in the list. Anyway no matter how you order them the BBS1 was the most mild of all.

From 8 responses, aggressiveness ratings are varying from 3.0 to 6.5 ... which is a larger variance than I would like to see ... but seems to reflect the YMMV of shaving....

It could also be that respondents are limited in their comparisons to which reference razors they have also used....

Regardless, with ~150 in production, I hope we can get more responses!

Okay ... now we have 16 responses (thanks guys!) ... but ratings vary even more than before :huh:

My current theory is that BBS-1's larger-than-average blade gap makes its zero-blade-exposure something of an on-the-fly adjustable by adding slightly more pressure. By my thinking ... a razor designed (and tightly manufactured) to have a zero millimeter blade exposure should be very mild. But perhaps the blade gap makes it a pressure-sensitive thing?

Hi all,

I own all the razors mentioned in the 'aggressivness' ratings and believe that the bbs-1 is the least aggressive on the list.

As as I own bbs-1 number 3 serial number, I believe there may have been some changes to the design of the razor, as I feel that it doesn't perform very well at all. I still have stubble on my chin after the usual 3 passes. The razor also feels as if one side cuts more 'aggressively' than the other.

Hope this helps.

Hi Patchy,

From these additional even-milder reference razors ... which would you say the BBS-1 is most similar to?

(2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C) --OR-- vintage Gillette Techs
(1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)
(1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

Sorry for the extra step. I would include all of the reference razors, but B&B's polling system is limited to 12 options per poll....

Thanks!
Shawn

I have used every razor on this list and more although I don't agree with the order. My weber is more aggressive then an ATT R1. That is a big difference in the list. Anyway no matter how you order them the BBS1 was the most mild of all.

Hi Jinx18,

From these additional even-milder reference razors ... which would you say the BBS-1 is most similar to?

(2.0) Merkur open comb models (example: 25C) --OR-- vintage Gillette Techs
(1.5) Feather (Popular or AS-D2)
(1.0) Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Van Der Hagen, etc)

Sorry for the extra step. I would include all of the reference razors, but B&B's polling system is limited to 12 options per poll....

Thanks!
Shawn

I would say very similar to the Merkur open combs and Gillette tech. Possibly a hair milder. I have not used the feather razors or weishi.

Top Bottom