What's new

Saponificio Varesino (SV) comes in at 7th place out of 15

Introduction

Below is the optimum lather table and review of Saponificio Varesino (SV) shaving soap from my lather optimization guide in the ShaveWiki. Please see the guide for an overview, a disclaimer, and general information about optimizing lather.

Back in June, @Cal generously donated a large sample of SV for evaluation. (Thanks, Cal!) I really liked the scent, but the performance was lacking in slickness and in the post-shave. Overall, it felt like a middle-of-the-road shaving soap. Feedback is welcome. :001_smile

Optimum Lather Table

PRPerformance Ranking
PDPurchase Date (YYYY-MM-DD)
SCMSoap/Cream Mass (g)
WMWater Mass (g)
TMTotal Mass (g) = SCM + WM
WSCRWater-to-Soap/Cream Ratio = WM / SCM
SCITSoap/Cream-Incorporation Time (s)
LBTLather-Building Time (s)
SCPSoap/Cream Price (USD)

PRSoap/CreamPDSCMWMTMWSCRSCITLBTSCP
1Nanny's Silly Soap (NSS) Original Shaving Soap2017-04-231.209.6010.80830450.15
2Declaration Grooming (DG) Shaving Soap, Premium Bison Tallow Base2017-08-110.818.919.721120600.15
3Proraso Single Blade (PSB) Shaving Cream2018-01-120.957.608.5583600.07
4Barrister and Mann (B&M) Shaving Soap2017-10-190.718.529.231225300.12
5Cold River Soap Works (CRSW) SELECT Shaving Soap2017-12-150.869.4610.32116600.15
6Stirling Soap Co. Shave Soap2017-08-140.539.019.541720300.04
7Saponificio Varesino (SV) Shaving Soap2017-12-010.648.328.961390900.15
8Barrister's Reserve Shaving Soap2017-060.9611.5212.481245600.15
9Proraso Red Shaving Soap2017-11-270.828.209.02105750.06
10Martin de Candre (MdC) Shaving Soap2018-05-310.707.708.401145600.16
11Mike's Natural Shaving Soap2017-090.759.009.751260600.07
12Barrister and Mann (B&M) Latha Shaving Soap (Discontinued)2018-01-300.759.7510.501310300.07
13The Art of Shaving (AOS) Shaving Cream2018-01-031.007.008.0073450.19
14Mystic Water (MW) Shaving Soap2018-01-270.709.109.801330300.07
15The Sudsy Soapery Shave Soap2018-02-050.468.288.741810600.05

Saponificio Varesino (SV) Shaving Soap

full
Top of aluminum tin, bottom label with ingredient list, and close-up of soap in small jar​

Version Name: Felce Aromatica Beta 4.3 (Aromatic Fern) Reformulated

Purchase Date: December 1, 2017. A sample was received on June 16, 2018, from @Cal, who generously donated the soap for evaluation. The sample was then placed in a small jar and photographed. The other photographs were taken by Cal.

Review Period: October 23 to November 6, 2018. 11 optimization shaves and 2 ranking tests.

Manufacturing Location: Brebbia (VA), Italy

Ingredients: Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Rapeseedate, Sodium Sunflower Seedate, Aqua/Water/Eau, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Erythritol, Ricinus Communis Oil, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Copernica Cerifera Cera, Cera Alba, Fraxinus Ornus (Manna Ash) Sap Extract, Dryopteris filix-mas Root Extract, Galactoarabinan, Shorea Stenoptera Seed Butter, Parfum/Fragrance, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Sucrose Cocoate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Xanthan Gum, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Citric Acid, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool

Appearance: Yellowish color

Scent: The scent might not be as "fresh and intense" as claimed, in my opinion, but it is very pleasant, nonetheless

Hardness: Harder than average, but not hard, based on my limited experience

Optimum Lather Overview: Sheen is matte to okay. Lather has some good "peaking" and a little yogurt-like behavior of "stringiness". Lather is not "airy", but there are some small visible bubbles. Adhesion and application are pretty good. Scent is noticed a little. Slickness is generally okay to good with a few very good moments and some moments of moderate friction. Cushion/protection is pretty good. Post-shave is okay or pretty good with respect to moisture, but on the dry side, and good with respect to comfort due to very low-level irritation. There might be a little clogging of the razor in spots.

Optimization Details: The water-to-soap ratio was varied from 6 to 22 during the optimization process. At a ratio of 6, slickness was generally not good to okay and rinsing the razor was difficult and annoying because the lather just kept clogging the razor. The lather was not hydrated enough and it took almost three minutes to incorporate all of the soap. With increasing hydration, the soap-incorporation time decreased, slickness generally increased, although not linearly with the hydration ratio, cushion/protection dropped, and the post-shave deteriorated, becoming drier and more irritating. Aside from the typical optimization of total lather mass, optimization reduced to finding the minimum water-to-soap ratio that resulted in lather which would reasonably rinse from the razor. The optimum ratio was found to be 13. Since lather building was complete by the end of the relatively long soap-incorporation period, and more time would have only dropped slickness, optimization of lather-building time was simple.

Ranking Details: Using sequential shaves with optimum lathers, the first ranking test was between Stirling and SV. Adhesion and application were better with SV, and SV's cushion/protection was better, but Stirling's slickness was better. Stirling's post-shave moisture was also better, but the irritation level with Stirling, though not a lot, was seemingly more than that with SV. The shave with Stirling was closer. Overall, as expected, Stirling beat SV. The second ranking test paired SV against Barrister's Reserve. Adhesion and application were better with SV because of its thickness, but Barrister's Reserve had much more sheen and yogurt-like behavior. Barrister's Reserve had more slickness, slickness that was generally good to very good with little moderate friction. Cushion/protection was similar. Barrister's Reserve's post-shave moisture was pretty good, similar to SV's and kind of on the dry side, but there was overall irritation that crept in. SV's post-shave was better because of significantly less irritation. Overall, I got a better shave with Barrister's Reserve, but I enjoyed SV's post-shave more. I originally thought that Barrister's Reserve would be ranked right above SV, but because of SV's better balance and post-shave, I gave the edge to SV.

Good reviews. Interesting that you said the Felce Aromatica colour was ‘yellowish’ and harder than average. Mine is very white and as hard as any other triple milled soap I have. Mine is the 4.3 also.

Good reviews.

Thanks. :001_smile

Interesting that you said the Felce Aromatica colour was ‘yellowish’ and harder than average. Mine is very white and as hard as any other triple milled soap I have. Mine is the 4.3 also.

As the picture in the OP shows, the soap color is yellowish. (The small jar is white.) The sample of the soap that I got was purchased about one year ago. Could the color and hardness changed?

The data and measurement procedure are intriguing. I know a lot of shavers buy soaps for performance. I buy them uniquely and only for their scents and they - as far as I know - are unmeasurable. Felce is one of the best scents I have.

The data and measurement procedure are intriguing. I know a lot of shavers buy soaps for performance. I buy them uniquely and only for their scents and they - as far as I know - are unmeasurable. Felce is one of the best scents I have.

Thanks. Yes, a lot of guys buy soaps for performance, but a lot of guys, like yourself, buy soaps for the scents. I agree that Felce is a great scent.

Thanks. :001_smile

As the picture in the OP shows, the soap color is yellowish. (The small jar is white.) The sample of the soap that I got was purchased about one year ago. Could the color and hardness changed?
Hmm. Just double checked. Mine is very whitish and a pretty standard triple milled hardness. Is yours the 4.3 for sure?

Hmm. Just double checked. Mine is very whitish and a pretty standard triple milled hardness. Is yours the 4.3 for sure?

Yes. Please see the picture in the OP with the tin shown on the left and the ingredient list in the middle. @Cal donated the sample of his soap and took those pictures for me. (Thanks again, Cal. I'm crazy like a fox, right? :laugh:)

Slightly different lighting can cause dramatic changes in the appearance of colors IMO.

Here's a pic I took after removing the sample and doing a little remedial work on the puck:
upload_2018-11-14_11-0-15.png

SV isn't one of my favorites. Unused since the pic above, here it is today:
upload_2018-11-14_11-1-35.png

I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed color between then and now. It's just the lighting, maybe. :letterk1: :laugh:

Thanks, Cal. Lighting does make a big difference. What about the hardness? Have you noticed a difference since you got the soap about one year ago? Would you consider the hardness to be "standard triple milled hardness", as @JoshTichson described it?

Top Bottom