What's new

FrankenMerkur/Rockwell

I've been locked into the Rockwell 6C for a few months, and eventually grew to like the R4 plate as the Cinderella choice. "Not too aggressive, not too tame; just right."

Recently, I re-tried my Merkur 23c, and liked it. Why did I choose a long handle back then, though? Probably because cartridge razors have long handles.

Today, I tried the 23c head on the Rockwell 6C handle, and got a great shave. It's probably only about an R3 equivalent, but it rinses in an instant. I liked that.

From an earlier thread, I doubt if the screw threads are 100% compatible, so you play this game at your own risk.

Last edited:
Yeah im looking for a bottom plate for my rock 6 #2 got damaged and others are lost( thanks wife or kids) so i cant use mine. Contacted rockwell but i only use paypal so they were a no go....

I've tried the Rockwell handle on the Maggard's V2 OC. It works but the screwing isn't that smooth. I suspect it's because the handle isn't supposed to be screwed that high up since Rockwell's base plates are double the size of your average 3pc razor.

I use my old DE89 knurled handle on a Merkur head (42c in my case, but all the three-piece closed-combs are the same).

It’s a great combination. I always liked the DE89 handle, but the Merkur head gives me much better results than the DE89 ever did.

That’s the advantage of three-piece razors. You can mix and match to get the best of all worlds for your personal preferences.

But you do have to consider thread depths on occasion. I think the Rockwell handle is especially shallow, and best suited to a Rockwell head.

Top Bottom