What's new

Fragrance: Where to start?

Sorry for being a Doubting Thomas, but I didnt believe you until I tried it today. Two sprays. Smart strength. I'm literally dumbfounded how this is possible.
It's not the amount, it's the ingredients.;)
Also the individual sprayers differ.

I wear a Guerlain frequently, it's an EdT. Not only is one spray huge, it projects right at my upper limit for 30 minutes then settles down for about 4-6hrs. Traditional Colonia, which is EdC, confusingly, not only doesn't project no matter how much you spray. It is also dead within an hour.

I was going to recommend Shawn's Chatillon Lux samples earlier for the sensitive nose. They are only moderate projection or less and are gone within 3-4hrs. Plus they match the DG aftershaves as mentioned.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Great thread. I actually hated cologne for most of my life, then realized I really like aftershave splashes... And if you like the AS, the EdC is a nice boost.

From universally liked Pinaud Clubman* to Canoe, go example, is a short trip. So explore similarly.

AA

*YMMV, but if you don't like Clubman, you should! 🤣

You could look at one of the recent fragrance threads and see what people are talking about. Then, go onto Fragrantica and look it up. There will be ebay listing and usually one for a sample size, if not click any one and you will get a sample recommended when you get to the bay. Many of the major resellers have "pick your scents" samplers too. I would say the most important thing is to train your nose to pick out what you are supposed to be smelling. So, don't overload your nose with too many too soon and try some simple ones like Colonia.

Edit: A base is not the base notes. A base in something like a Fougere is lavender, coumarin and oakmoss and they are well blended enough to be hard to unpack. The top and heart notes are a bit easier to pick out.
I've been a fan of picking up the samples off the bay myself. There is nothing like the scent on your own skin to really find out if it works for you. And rather than plunking down $50-$200 sight unseen, or going by the smell of a cologne on a business card, you can try it out. I've found several I would NOT buy the full size, others I could hardly wait until the full sized arrived.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I probably wasted gallons of fragrance by overspraying until a neighbor, who was a high school cosmetology teacher actually taught me how to apply fragrance. You really need not use any more than 1-3 spritzes, and they should not be near the face. "Nose blindness" is real, and there are few better ways of developing it than by spraying an EdT from ear to ear. This will seem counterintuitive, but try overspraying one day in your usual way, and then a couple days later apply one spray of the same product to your chest and perhaps one small one to each upper forearm. I guarantee that you will enjoy the scent more the day you spray minimally.

Some terrific insight and wisdom in this thread. Thanks to all who took the time to contribute to it.

Last edited:
Most fragrances are derivatives or downright clones of either classics or popular expensive products.

So, with that said, I would look at the “Fine” line of stuff.

Personally I use things like 4711, K1, Guerlain.
I also always loved the original Paco Rabanne Pour Homne.
I’ve tended to go for After shave balms now. Gutted that C&E have all but closed and you can’t get Nomad anymore.

I am an extremist when it comes to aftershaves/colognes. I buy ridiculously cheap or over the top expensive cologne.

My current lot:
Pinaud Clubman- always and most classic
Aqua Velva- love how it makes my skin feel
La TOja- my most expensive aftershave… like Aqu Velva… love how my skin feels
Creed Green Irish Tweed- favorite cologne. Hands down
Creed Viking- fall winter scent
Tom Ford Grey Veviter- spring summer scent.

If I do not wear an aftershave i use some witch hazel and Nivea aftershave. I will then apply whatever cologne.

That’s my story and sticking to it.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded. Lots of great advice. The suggestions for individual scents to try are great, but I gotta wait until after Christmas. Looks like I have some fun experiments on the horizon.

I read through the "must haves" and "manly man" threads. So many suggestions it's a bit overwhelming.

I am very uneducated about fragrance. I don't really understand the need for different scents in winter, summer, work, nightlife. I barely understand the difference between EDT and EDP. Most of the suggestions I've read about I've never even hear of. Over the last 30 years I've only used Azzaro Chrome, Polo Green, Polo Black, CK One. I currently have SV Cubebe.

I am considering buying this sampler:

Is there a better option to get started with?

Any suggestions for a fragrance noob?
In 2021 I became very enthusiastic about fragrances. I bought over 100 bottles. Some days I feel its become a problem, but most days I just enjoy my new hobby.

That sampler you linked to has some very nice scents. But based on my experience it might be more trouble than it’s worth. Here’s what I recommend:

1) figure out what you like. Go to Sephora and Ulta and Macys, or whatever dept. stores have the largest selections and sample everything! Spray on paper and then for the ones you think you like best, spray on a section of skin. You might be able to divide your arms into three sections and get to try six fragrances on skin at a time.

2) wait for the dry downs. Don’t decide what you like on first sniff. See how the fragrance evolves over a few hours.

3) go back to the stores and sample again (and again and again) before making any decisions.

4) Buy one, maybe two fragrances at most to start. Make sure you really love them. if there’s a significant other around, you’d best choose something they enjoy too.

5) don’t blind buy
6) do not blind buy anything
7) and don’t listen to anyone on Youtibe. Make up your own mind.

8) buy the good stuff. If not in the store than at one of the online discounters. Don’t try to score “value” with rack store cheapies until you know exactly what you want. I now own about 30 bottles of very decent, inexpensive colognes that I have discovered I have no interest in using.

There are great finds and buys at the rack stores, but it’s a rabbit hole. Know what you like and dont blind buy!

OR, ignore all that and go buy the new Sauvage Elixir and call it a day. Freaking Fantastic.

I probably wasted gallons of fragrance by overspraying until a neighbor, who was a high school cosmetology teacher actually taught me how to apply fragrance. You really need not use any more than 1-3 spritzes, and they should not be near the face. "Nose blindness" is real, and there are few better ways of developing it than by spraying an EdT from ear to ear. This will seem counterintuitive, but try overspraying one day in your usual way, and then a couple days later apply one spray of the same product to your chest and perhaps one small one to each upper forearm. I guarantee that you will enjoy the scent more the day you spray minimally.

Some terrific insight and wisdom in this thread. Thanks to all who took the time to contribute to it.
Are you spraying on your chest under your clothes, or on your clothes?

Do you want to smell like a pirate?

Let me rephrase that: you do want to smell like a pirate. I mean who doesn't want to be a pirate?

Bay Rum is an old school classic.
Montana Natural Shave Company have some scents in their products called "Mountain Man" and "Old Faithful" and "Smoke Jumper". I'll tell you, I've been to Old Faithful and can only imagine what a Mountain Man really smells like. And I am a firefighter so know what a Smoke Jumper smells like. I don't want any of those scents anywhere near me. I would put pirates in that same category. Hahaha

However, I do really like most Bay Rum scents.

This is fantastic thread. I will check out some of the other posts in this category as well. I just recently started wet shaving which came with aftershave and other scents and I really am liking this lingering scent all day thing. So I am just now starting down the path of fragrances. Sure, I still have some cologne from back in the day when I was chasing girls. The standard Drakkar Noir and Nautica. Probably have a bottle of Stetson around somewhere. But I am really finding new scents that are really piquing my interest.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to helping us newbies out.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Get samplers from the manufacturers or third parties like Luckyscent, Perfumedcourt, etc,

The reason is that everyone’s preferences are different, and if you have to please two noses, many large bottles of fragrances will break most banks.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
BTW, if you make a major purchase, buy it from the manufacturer. Stockists may have had pricey stuff sitting on the shelf for years, and most scents change over time.

Eben Stone

Staff member
...That Macy's Black Friday special though? Sold.
I got the Macy's sampler set for Christmas and I've been trying one almost every day. I couldnt come up with a good way to pick which one to try first, so I just started at the top left and have been working my way down/right in the box. Obviously, I like some more then others, but so far I haven't found one I dislike. I've tried 8 as of today. Paco Rabanne 1 Million is my favorite so far.

I got the Macy's sampler set for Christmas and I've been trying one almost every day. I couldnt come up with a good way to pick which one to try first, so I just started at the top left and have been working my way down/right in the box. Obviously, I like some more then others, but so far I haven't found one I dislike. I've tried 8 as of today. Paco Rabanne 1 Million is my favorite so far.
I essentially did the same thing, but from the bottom right!

1 Million was interesting, but if there's one thing I learned right away, it's that those sweet/spicy fragrances are not for me.

According to my notes, my favorites out of that pack thus far are Polo Red, Polo Blue, Prada Luna Rossa Ocean, John Varvatos Vintage, Acqua Di Gio, Kenneth Cole Unlimited, and Gentleman by Givenchy.

None of those, however, have been as good to me as Davidoff Cool Water and Nautica Voyage. Cheap fragrances which I blind-bought bottles of.

I think there might be a lesson here, but I'm not sure if it's a responsible one. :glare:

Top Bottom