What's new

Foxhole Shavers Club

Gonna throw a feather in and try out my recently aquired WWI US Army issue Gillette. I think it's a cool thing that I can use something today that somebody carried to war in 1918

Attachments

• KIMG0075.JPG
    KIMG0075.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
New guy here, just stumbled across this sub-forum. Retiring end of this month with 29 years 1 day from the Royal Canadian Navy with half in submarines and the other half on targets. Currently using SR’s and DE’s and looking forward to reading through some of the posts here!

Hiya, Gary! Welcome to our little regiment. Congratulations on your retirement and your service. Enjoy freedom, and good shaves!

I remember in the Army that the only use I found for the steel cup that goes in the canteen pouch is for holding water while shaving. Damned thing just always seemed to find a way of getting too dirty to drink out of, no matter how much I cleaned it. I guess at least I should count myself lucky I didn't have to eat on those old metal plates that C-Rations were used with, I really don't know how people could find a way on a battlefield frontline would have to clean them (back when he had wars with frontlines). My recruiters father got some kind of mouth disease in Korea from it getting too dirty.

If I had know of how great DE razors were I would have brought a travel it the field. I hated shaving in the Army because electric and cartridge razors always seemed to pull on my hair, unlike DE's.

Welcome to the unit! Yeah, i find myself lately thinking of all the shaving i did in the air force and how much disposable income i had. Ah well.

Welcome to the unit! Yeah, i find myself lately thinking of all the shaving i did in the air force and how much disposable income i had. Ah well.

Do you guys ever think about using a de during basic?

Thanks, speaking of disposable income, it sure would have been nice to know how much cheaper DE shavers were over cartridge as a young private! Those things kill the bank when making only $1000 a month, minus taxes, SS, etc!

I used a DE and Gillette Foamy during basic and for a while until OCS, after that went carts cause I didn't have the time.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I remember in the Army that the only use I found for the steel cup that goes in the canteen pouch is for holding water while shaving. Damned thing just always seemed to find a way of getting too dirty to drink out of, no matter how much I cleaned it. I guess at least I should count myself lucky I didn't have to eat on those old metal plates that C-Rations were used with, I really don't know how people could find a way on a battlefield frontline would have to clean them (back when he had wars with frontlines). My recruiters father got some kind of mouth disease in Korea from it getting too dirty.

If I had know of how great DE razors were I would have brought a travel it the field. I hated shaving in the Army because electric and cartridge razors always seemed to pull on my hair, unlike DE's.
The best way to clean them in the field is with sand if no potable water was around. If you could find some clean sand. Just fill the cup with sand and scrub. It's amazing how clean you can get mess gear with just dry sand.

It's amazing what I could do with that metal canteen cup. A couple bulion cubes some dehydrated vegetables and that dehydrated pork patty nobody wanted to draw in their MRE. I was a field cuisine marvel with that cup, a can of sterno and a bottle of tobasco.

It's amazing what I could do with that metal canteen cup. A couple bulion cubes some dehydrated vegetables and that dehydrated pork patty nobody wanted to draw in their MRE. I was a field cuisine marvel with that cup, a can of sterno and a bottle of tobasco.
Wow, too bad I didn't have someone like you when I was in to show me how to be a master cook in the most difficult of places. That would have brought some much needed comfort, it's amazing how much food can affect moral, I can't imagine how crappy moral must have been on the old sailing ships with nothing but hard biscuits to eat and scurvy to suffer from before they figured out you needed vitamin C, or even what a vitamin was. Which on a funny note the first treatment for it in the Royal Navy was a lemon liqueur, which must have helped moral until some heartless bastard a few decades later came up with a non alcoholic variety of vitamin C for the Royal Navy :a52:

Does shaving at 500 ft below sea level with a crappy electric for a port call count. If so count me in. Currently active duty Navy for 7 years.

Top Bottom