What's new

For you newbies

I really enjoy my shaves, but they don’t have to be a huge time commitment. It will take you some time to hone your technique. But I would say my 2 pass shave (which is all I need to be bbs) maybe takes 8 minutes… including the aftershave splash afterwards. I don’t go any faster than I need. It’s leisurely, but I’m pretty much 8 minutes all in and I’m smooth as glass and ready to face the day.

Again, that will take you a bit of time to figure out your system. But great Shaves don’t need to take 15-20 minutes.

Cheers
Drew

25 minutes for my four-pass shave. It's what I must do to get as close a shave as I can get with tough old gray whiskers. Plus picking out a soap, making lather, stropping, shaving, and clean-up after. Drying and putting my equipment away, mopping the counter and floor and mirror. It takes time. So if you can shave in 8 minutes go for it. But I enjoy my shave and if it takes me 45 minutes then I will enjoy it even longer. If someone is new to Straight Razor shaving expect it to take time. But enjoy it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hair type, razor type, blade type, are all considerations, in reference to how long it will take to shave. Trying to achieve a BBS Shave in 8 minutes for me, will have me loaded with weepers requiring me to get q blood transfusion, due to excess blood loss.

Wet shaving is not about the speed, it's about the journey towards happiness . Whisker reduction is simply a perk, of such a journey.

This morning I had a quick, roughly 2-3 minute lather & shave. Quite enjoyable & the end result was quite satisfactory. But when I can have time, I will gladly take 15 - 20 minutes, or longer, for a nice relaxing shave. It is my "me" time, so I don't worry about the time, I'm focused on my mental health.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My times:

Select SR = 1m​
Strop SR =2m​
Wash face = 3m​
Lather face = 2m​
WTG pass = 3m​
Re-wet face & apply lather = 2m​
XTG+fool's pass = 6m​
Re-wet face & apply lather = 2m​
XTG pass = 4m​
Rinse face, dry & apply splash = 2m​
Clean & dry gear = 2m​
Refresh edge on balsa = 3m​
Put all gear away = 1m​
TOTAL = About 30 minutes for a DFS+ result.

I can get a BBS result in the same time if I substitute the final XTG with an ATG, but then I'll have nothing to shave 24 hours later.

If I throw in drinking a cup of tea while shaving, I can extend that out to about 45 minutes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
A standard shave (around a tache and partial beard) will generally take me less than five minutes. However, if I am also adjusting/refining the beard/tache boundaries with my open comb or shavette, clipping them with scissors, or waxing the tache, or thinning the sideburns with clippers, then this all adds in extra time.

In short, each shave takes as long as I want it to. I can be done in three to five minutes, or I can spend longer with additional preening. I'm not going to be in the mood for a protracted grooming period at every single shave, nor am I in the mood for expedient frugality every time. My shave of the day is whatever it needs to be, to suit my whim of the day, and I might not even know what that is, until the shave is underway.

I'm with most of you, it takes what it takes! Sometimes I'm in a rush (This morning for example, I had to shave quickly in my hotel in order to make breakfast and catch my ride to the airport). But when I'm home, I'm usually a night shaver so I take my time and enjoy the whole process.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
It's the cleanup that takes time for me. I need to wipe down my countertop, rinse all my gear, pat dry my razor parts, etc. The actual shaving (including applying aftershave) is done fairly quickly.

That takes me a long time too. And I always inevitably get water all over my sink counter, requiring a lot of wipe up time. Yep, do a little alum block if needed, or slap on some Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel astringent, then slap on some aftershave. Were the same way hairless wonder.

A quick two pass shave with a DE razor takes me well under 10 minutes if I am in a rush… that’s washing my face, lathering and shaving twice, Hyaluronic acid and Thayers, aftershave and a spray of fragrance and putting everything away.

Generally I prefer a 3 pass shave and taking my time. This takes 20 min or so. I tend to shave before bed so I can sleep in. 🤪 Plus, if I have a BBS shave at 10pm, my whiskers are still shorter than most people‘s that use an electric or disposable in the morning anyways.

If really pushed for time I use a shave stick and 1 pass: generally better than most guys in 5 minutes.

However, most days I enjoy my leisurely 3-pass shave which takes 20 minutes or so!! YMMV for sure.

And this is another reason for me shaving in the evenings, unless I have an early important event where I wanna look my best, I hate shaving in the mornings and feeling rushed to accomplish task in a time limit.

So since most of the time I wont go out after getting home from work, I pour myself some whiskey or a cold beer for hot summers, or even go beyond and make it an old fashioned (occasional date night with my wife is the exception, to which having some early booze is an advantage😉) I put on some of my favorite music, or listen to the news (hard to get myself in the mood for news lately anyways) I pour some drops of oil in the diffuser to enhance the olfactory experience, and I’ll even do a bubble bath to relax a little extra.

So by the time the actual shave comes into play I’ve already invested 10-20 minutes, plus another 10 or so to finish all the other tasks at hand while on the sink (brushing teeth, comb hair, etc) then go to bed feeling refreshed and renewed to flip some pages or watch some tv before succumbing to a good night of well needed shut eye (unless me and the wife feel like some extra curricular activities😉)

Top Bottom