What's new

For those of you who add menthol to your splashes yourself....

What's a good price and place to get menthol crystals?
How do you measure it out before adding?
Is there a place to get (damn near) scentless menthol? I thought I read somewhere that synthetic menthol is almost scentless. It's not that I mind the scent, I just don't want it to overpower the main splash scent, like what I've experienced with Stirling's Glacial lines.

I bought some on eBay or Amazon. I don’t measure it. Just use a bitand then maybe some more.

Following this thread regarding synthetic menthol. I have enjoyed what little I have tried

eBay has cheap crystals. Don’t dope up a big bottle, instead test it in a small decant of something to experiment. A very tiny amount is all that is needed. I haven’t noticed a scent...but my nose is not great.

What's a good price and place to get menthol crystals?
How do you measure it out before adding?
Is there a place to get (damn near) scentless menthol? I thought I read somewhere that synthetic menthol is almost scentless. It's not that I mind the scent, I just don't want it to overpower the main splash scent, like what I've experienced with Stirling's Glacial lines.

I bought some from Amazon. I measured out 1 gram, smashed it up and dumped it into a full bottle of Cat O' Nine Tails. I created Fire & Ice. I could add a little more menthol to the concoction, but I'm afraid I'll overdo it.

The scent was not changed at all. I do get a whiff of the menthol when I first splash it on...but it immediately dissipates (and what remains is the pure goodness of Cat O' Nine Tails).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Same as others i bought a pouch on amazon. I don't think the crystal has a scent. I dont measure exactly i use a spoon to add it to as. The crystals do dissolve quickly in any as with alcohol. They can take days or weeks with aggressive shaking to dissolve in as without alcohol. Once i melted the crystals over a heat source and poured it in as with out alcohol. Within minutes the liquid re crystallized.

benefit? Nothing like the menthol kick in the morning but ymmv.

I bought a huge bag of crystals on ebay.

Just toss a chunk into the bottle, and it dissolves.

I eventually tossed the bag into the trash because the stuff is just too cold for me. I don't like when my eyes water from the menthol. Be careful handling it. BTW, it looks like a bag of crystal meth.

I recently acquired the Frost Drops from Stirling during my last order. While I do like them, not sure about long-term. I haven't used them in any splashes yet, but I added some drops to my lather using their recommendations which were one or two drops, and then add as necessary from there.
Well, I have to add around eight or nine drops just to feel anything. And I'm not a menthol-head.

My pharmacy gave me a couple for free. I used 1 in a 100ml bottle. Also adding menthol crystals will change the scent of your aftershave, so be careful where you use them.

I made two ounces of a homebrew splash a couple weeks ago. The other day I finally got some crystals in the mail and tried them out. I believe I used about an inch total length of crystals in that much splash, and it's brisk enough for my needs. The splash is 75% alcohol so no trouble with dissolving the crystals. They were gone within 15 minutes.

Top Bottom