What's new

For those based in South East Asia, where do you buy your shaving gears and goodies?

Hi All. I am based in the Philippines and we still have very limited options to buy gears and goodies locally.

Sure, we can always shop from some of the sites in US, UK, etc. but shipping is expensive and takes time...

I was even exploring buying some badger brushes from the US but given the US Fish & Wildlife regulations, many of the established vendors don't sell/ship direct. How do you guys go about it? Sure, we can always use a forwarding service.

Though I am curious if there are alternatives, maybe cheaper options and more importantly shorter wait time :)

Will appreciate any inputs from the community. Thanks.

Hi @tofph, Welcome to B7B. I am from Malaysia and I do have much addiction for shaving stuff. I started in late May last year and since then...ahem..have accumulated quite a horde...

Not that I have much experience but I can share some if it would be of help to you...

Brushes, I have 10 with 4 badgers, 5 synthetics, and 1 boar. All the badgers and synthetics are from Aliexpress, China. A great place to get quality brushes without breaking the bank, especially during a sale (I get most of mine at more than 50% off) If you can wait, there are sales which reduce the cost to almost half or more. I bought a high-quality Oumo SHD Manchurian late March for 30% off. The problem now is the delay in shipping...

Soaps/Creams is best from UK (The English Shaving Company) as their shipping is fixed at only £3.99 so when there's a sale, best to get a few so the cost becomes less per item. There's a 10% sale now but only for razors. I am waiting for their 15% sale for soaps as I have some in my target. Do check them out. Connaught is another good UK vendor but their shipping cost to my place is expensive while to SG is nothing...hahaha. Check out the The English Shaving Company

Another place is Gifts & Care but their shipping is more and depends on weight. There's a general discount now. I just received a big bundle of hardware & software from them 2 weeks ago. Gears that cost an arm from the US cost much less.

I have various vintage, modern and straight razors. My 1st DE razor is from The English Shaving Company and some from Aliexpress, Ebay, and the US.

Locally there are many Indian made DE blades and some others.

My main hurdle is getting matching aftershaves for the soaps/creams. Most vendors don't ship by air...
I have special DE blades, soaps & aftershaves in various carts...waiting for just the right time...hahaha

I hope all of these helps.

Keep and stay safe, regards

Wow! This is amazing! And I would like to confess, I actually saw the notification about your reply earlier, but instead of thanking you, I immediately jump to the sites you mentioned. Sorry :)

I am now curious about what's inside those shopping carts. lol

Again, thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

I might message you in the future for additional information, I hope this is okay with you.

You too, take care.

Hi tof - I’ve been in Manila for about 5-6 years and in se Asia for about 8-9 (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam as well). Bought a ton of shaving stuff and spent fortunes on shipping to these places.

i used to use a shipping service that allowed for aftershave and the artisan brushes but that closed down. As such no new Artisan brushes from the US but i have too many anyway! you Can order but the us wildlife adds heavy fees on top. I got caught a couple times with a newer shipping service and it’s a lot. alcohol aftershaves aren’t allowed any longer as well Through the newer services.

For soaps - try maggards razors - online store in the US. Large selection. They ship here using USPS, who uses Phil post on this side. except for now (I have a March shipment stuck) I have always got the items reliably. You can pay for faster shipping but the longer wait time is more affordable.

if you let me know more specifics, I can probably add more info.

Hi lloydw, thanks for this.

I will definitely check out maggards razors. At this point, I am interested to get more brushes and aftershave and I can explore the soaps too.

Also, given our weather over here, what are some of your top brands/products that you use?

Finally, have you seen and do you have experience with some of those etsy sellers that ships to Manila?

Thank you very much. Stay safe!

Nice nice. I heard Maseto is a solid performer and a super value for its price. Thank you.

Indeed. I have corresponded with the shop owner recently and he indicated that some new 30mm
silvertip brushes will be released this month. I really like my 26mm extra-density silvertip.
Excellent bang-for-the buck.

Wow! This is amazing! And I would like to confess, I actually saw the notification about your reply earlier, but instead of thanking you, I immediately jump to the sites you mentioned. Sorry :)

I am now curious about what's inside those shopping carts. lol

Again, thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

I might message you in the future for additional information, I hope this is okay with you.

You too, take care.
Hi again, yes you can message me anytime for any questions. I can show you my shave den too. In this uncertain period affecting every country....I am so glad to have a well prepare shave den to be enjoyed.

Yeah...hahaha..honestly after my last batch of razors order arriving late April, my addiction for razors is momentarily cured. Brushes...well, I am still waiting for my Oumo. I like APShave Co synthetics brushes. Maybe next time...

My weakness is soaps/creams, aftershave, and DE blades.

I have an order of aftershaves supposedly otw but as usual, still stuck.

In some vendor's carts are Phoenix & Beau Soaps and Stirlings Soaps plus Wizamet & Polsilver Super Iridium DE blades. Since all are international I am just waiting for some sale.

I bought from Maggard in the USA last Oct during the black Friday sale and they offered a 70% off international shipping so I managed to snag the Timeless lather bowl and 4 Catie's Bubbles 20z soaps.

You just gotta be patient. Sometimes in BST there is good stuff. I bought a couple of good vintage too.

So..hang in there and enjoy yah.

Keep safe.

I have really kept a few brands of brushes I was lucky to buy before I got hit with the Badger hair restrictions. My brushes are 90% paladins, a few Thater brushes, a couple simpsons and a couple shavemacs. I prefer badgers But have a couple synthetics and a couple boars as well.

For aftershave - I prefer the splashes in the hot weather, the creams and balms don’t work so well for me. My favorite are barrister and Mann reserve splashes. Running low on these and I can’t order in anymore. I have some non-alcohol toner splashes from chatillon lux which are good. I often just use thayers witch hazel which is cheap from Watson’s. It’s a toner and can be non alcoholic or with alcohol, with aloe vera and some good stuff for the skin. Non greasy and great in the warm temps. This is a good easily available option. I know some people put a drop or two of essential oils to give them some scent and you have a cheap homemade aftershave that is great for the skin. I also use a clarins aftershave - just from a dept store.

for soap - too many to mention. I do like the variation in soaps, relatively more affordable than the brushes and razors to collect and a quick change in scent and brand is quite a different experience. I have been out of the loop of the new ones, for a few years as I have so much in stock. my go to soaps are some of the older ones, not too many of the newer (last 4 years) artisans. Martin de Candre, Saponifico varesino, Santa Maria novella, acqua di Parma, Boellis Panama, Czech and speake, nuavia. I also have a couple meissner tremonia and b&mann soaps. Loads and loads of others. You will see how many people in our hobby collect soaps. I will be happy to share some soap - I can carve out some for you and put into zip lock bags so you can try some different ones. We can make a plan to get them to you. easy way for you to try something diffrent if you want to. Do let me know if you want to try this out, all you need is to arrange a delivery bike to collect from BGC

I don’t have too much knowledge of the Etsy sellers, I do like the look of some of the brushes the people there are making. Nice looking colorful brushes.

Thanks lloydw

I would love to have some Paladins in my den but I just need to figure out shipping.

I like the aftershave tips, while I explore others. :)

I definitely will take up your offer re: soaps. :) PMed you.

Great @IIoydw and @tofph!!

Both of you can get together and share some stuff.

You can even share shipping costs for bulk orders.

I am unable to find anyone here as yet....:sad:

Hi Chard52142

I will regularly check with you about the sale and discounts :)

I know, those savings can make a lot of difference to offset shipping fees for us.

re: being patient. argh... that's it - I just can't see any other best time to indulge in our hobby than this time, it's that I am not being a realist and sensitive on what's happening around, but this is the time that I just have more time for myself.

Great @IIoydw and @tofph!!

Both of you can get together and share some stuff.

You can even share shipping costs for bulk orders.

I am unable to find anyone here as yet....:sad:

Lucky me :) but so far, I've had very good experience here, the people are so kind and generous.

I wish you'll find someone soon.

Indeed. I have corresponded with the shop owner recently and he indicated that some new 30mm
silvertip brushes will be released this month. I really like my 26mm extra-density silvertip.
Excellent bang-for-the buck.

Thanks for the information.

Do you mean available this month:
Stock of current and older 30mm models?

Or totally new models of 30mm Silvertips?

New models...they already released some 30mm extra-density silvertips with beehive handles.

Thanks Sukeroku.

I had messaged him if he was selling (no links on app in my country) and he sent me the website link to products. After your previous post, I messaged him before buying, if new models are coming out soon. He never replied. Then you replied. So thanks.

Because of no response, I decided not to do business with him for now, due to experience of different types' behaviors in business protocols.

Thanks again.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Update:
I got a message from him, seems he'd been busy managing business changes due to flight cancellations due to Covid and eBay etc. Some countries still have no cargo flights from HK. Also seems that's the extent of new models for now.

Best way is people direct message him and ask if there are shipment flights to their particular country. And he will message you back saying if there are flights to your country, and what's the current shipping time estimate for each country having cargo flights.

So basically some badger models have 2 handle models options:
* The new honeycombed handle (multi ridged)
* The classic older smooth two band handle (single ridge in the middle)
Again best way is to ask him about the handle model you want, if it's not in the item pictures & options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom