What's new

For Deer Hunters, the Shelled Corn Vending Machine

Saw my second one today. Thought the first was an interesting fluke, but this one was from a different company. These are exactly what they sound like. You pay your money, and it dispenses a quantity of shelled corn. This is obviously used in baiting deer, though in this state you must remove it for a period of time before hunting. Sort of skeptical about how many are removing it prior to hunting, but whatever.

Has anyone seen a shelled corn vending machine in your area?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Nope, but they sell deer corn everywhere around here, even at the grocery stores.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love this sign:

"ATTENTION:
BAITING DEER IS ILLEGAL

This here corn is intended
for chipmunks and sich critters
ANY DEER FOUND EATING IT
WILL BE SHOT"

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Saw my second one today. Thought the first was an interesting fluke, but this one was from a different company. These are exactly what they sound like. You pay your money, and it dispenses a quantity of shelled corn. This is obviously used in baiting deer, though in this state you must remove it for a period of time before hunting. Sort of skeptical about how many are removing it prior to hunting, but whatever.

Has anyone seen a shelled corn vending machine in your area?

Nope. Like John said...the bagged stuff is everywhere around here. I tried putting it in the back pasture where it was in view of the kitchen window and the deer just ignored it and grazed around it. The crows ended up eating it all. Baiting is legal here though.

Love this sign:

"ATTENTION:
BAITING DEER IS ILLEGAL

This here corn is intended
for chipmunks and sich critters
ANY DEER FOUND EATING IT
WILL BE SHOT"

AA

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for posting this again, but it's one of the best deer pics. I've gotten...so far. About a 100 yards away. They have gotten used to me over the years...as long as I don't try to get too close.

dsc_0038-2-jpg.930029

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice picture.

Thanks. And yes, they knew I was there. The one on the left was looking right at me until something else caught their attention to the right and I know they heard the shutter, that was set on burst mode, go off several times. They were still there when I went back in the house.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks. And yes, they knew I was there. The one on the left was looking right at me until something else caught their attention to the right and I know they heard the shutter, that was set on burst mode, go off several times. They were still there when I went back in the house.

That is a pretty cool camera you have, and you are getting really good with it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Naw, not good with it. The camera does most of the work. I still have a long way to go when I put it on manual.

I like how the picture you posted looks sorta like a black and white, but then shows some green in the grass, and like some orange hues in the background at the top of the pic. Like sunlight or something? Pretty cool in my opinion.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like how the picture you posted looks sorta like a black and white, but then shows some green in the grass, and like some orange hues in the background at the top of the pic. Like sunlight or something? Pretty cool in my opinion.

It was the lighting at that time. Getting close to dark. It's what the camera picked up.

We've had bags of deer corn for sale here for years, and yes, that included grocery stores. Since it was two different companies, wondered if it was a trend.

BTW, a friend once came across a feeder with corn set out for deer. He got some hair from a barber shop and slipped it in it.

Yeah I have a hard time understanding how people who bait deer can call themselves hunters. I have no respect for them.

It was the lighting at that time. Getting close to dark. It's what the camera picked up.
Nice pic indeed. Was happy to see a shot that didn't bring down a deer. No problem hunting for meat and management but not a fan of sport hunting for trophies. I particularly don't like the idea of baiting deer. That is not hunting. Hunting means tracking, stalking, waiting, being very quiet and still.

Some animals I have no problem baiting. Feral hogs for example. That is a problem worth just about any measure to control.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice pic indeed. Was happy to see a shot that didn't bring down a deer. No problem hunting for meat and management but not a fan of sport hunting for trophies. I particularly don't like the idea of baiting deer. That is not hunting. Hunting means tracking, stalking, waiting, being very quiet and still.

Some animals I have no problem baiting. Feral hogs for example. That is a problem worth just about any measure to control.

Yup, that one in the burst did turn out pretty good. Since you don't have to pay for picture development with digital the throw away ones don't cost anything. I don't have a problem hunting for meat either, and don't go for trophies. But if you get a good one you use for meat I have no problem with a display...if you want. I really don't want. I don't like to kill anything either, but sometimes you have to. Especially if they are a threat. I really don't have too much of a problem with baiting...you use bait on a fish hook, don't you? Just go free diving after the fish...yeah, right. Baiting deer wasn't legal where I grew up, but here the state is starting a season where you don't need a doe permit, just regular hunting license. The deer population needs management. Over run.

Dad told me about him and his brothers pond shooting ducks sitting in the water (can't do that now) when they were kids. They grew up in the Depression on a farm and had to get meat anyway they could. That was before hunting regs.

Those deer here are more of my pets and for watching, but if need be....

Last edited:
Fish are cold blooded. That is the big diff for me with bait. I could never get all warm and fuzzy over a minnow but a fawn... well you get the picture.

Hey I remember when you had to get film developed and prints made. Egads I must be old!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Hey I remember when you had to get film developed and prints made. Egads I must be old!

Yup, you are getting old. Remember Polaroids, and the multi-flashbulb bars? I used to hold those pictures they spit out in front of the car air conditioner vent when I took crime scene photos to get them to dry quicker.

I'll go you one better. Granddad had a Kodak that you had to flip the viewfinder up on top of the camera and the image you saw that you were taking a picture of was upside down. And it had the bellows type lens that you had to extend from the camera body. I wish I knew where that one went.

But back to the thread...I've never seen a deer corn bait vending machine. I don't think anyone around here would use it....the'd just get the 50 pound bags.

I've not had any luck baiting, but when I was a kid Dad and I went hunting in south Texas and uncle had baited a spot. There were turkeys, javelina, and deer that had came up. Dad was using uncle's bolt action .308 with a scope on it. First time he had used a scope instead of iron sights. Got a nice little buck.

I don't see much difference baiting with corn as opposed to hunting over a freshly harvested corn field or a natural food plot. Acorns are abundant here...deer love them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
And just to play devils advocate, how does baiting with corn or a food plot differ with using doe estrus urine to attract a buck? Or even standing under/near an oak with lots of acorns? The only deer I ever shot was stalked in a public forest, no bait, scent, blind or tree stand. I guess I did it "right". But I don't begrudge those who do otherwise as long as the animal is taken humanely. Now on the flipside, where deer are overpopulated, I see a problem with feeding deer just so that you can watch them, literally fueling the over population issue.

People can bait deer all they want. They are just kidding themselves if they consider it hunting. It takes almost zero skill compared to hunting.

I wish deer looked like feral hogs. I kinda hate to kill something majestic unless I am really hungry. And I love bacon. :001_smile

Top Bottom