What's new

Footwear of the Day

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
0529B712-28EE-4122-A498-A6D4A98731FB.jpeg

I decided to take my bikes out for a spin today because they had been sitting a month or longer. I don't think I have ever worn these Danners on this particular bike. When I got home, I noticed smoke. That was from my boot heel burning on the single walled drag pipe. I hate that I messed up a pretty darn expensive boot this way. Even worse, there was no oven cleaner in the house to clean the burned rubber off the chrome pipe

Bummer, sorry to hear it. When I used to ride bikes it was oil leaks that ruined many a pair of boots/shoes over the years. Older Briitsh bikes leaked, it was part of their charm. The leaks were often the result of porous castings not sloppy assembly or lack of maintenance - just plain lousy execution. At least the melted spot probably won't shorten the life of the boot and it's not too noticable.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Over these last several months, I have utilized Poshmark to clear my closet of shoe/boots that were not being used as much as they should have.

Today, my Red Wing Iron Rangers went by way of Poshmark. They were comfortable but the mood to wear them just didn’t strike me often enough. Although I felt a tinge of seller’s remorse, I knew it was the right thing.

The last time I wore them was over a month ago (my FOTD pic below) and over the last 10 years or so, I would only wear them a few times a year.
385B20B5-3A60-4316-8C5A-DF523F98DA08.jpeg

I sold them for only $30 less than I originally paid for them (attributable to the fact that they are still in terrific condition).

B0246F83-8BB5-4F31-8449-BEF709737F48.jpeg

As for my seller’s remorse, I’m sure it will quickly subside once I divert the proceeds from this sale to a pair of boots that have been on my radar for quite some time…

The Alden 405 Indy boot.
AFBEA9AD-F97A-408D-9577-0866DA464722.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Indies look like a step up. Did you include the flag emblem with the IRs? It probably wouldn’t work well on the Indy boot anyway. More formal.

I did include them. I also included the British lace keepers when I sold the Dr. Martens 939 Ben Boots.

8D2AB2BD-007C-46D0-9242-6F5329EAA940.jpeg

I wouldn’t put lace keepers on the Indys though. Like you said, the Indy-style is bit more formal.

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF FOOTWEAR

9:30 AM - Starting out the day with a cuppa coffee…
0F5C1530-347B-4936-BD3C-DD02E591222D.jpeg

10:30 AM - Heading out to do some errands…
C41E73C5-3D3C-4CD4-ABE2-EDA1BABD3CF0.jpeg

1:40 PM - Running around town with Mrs. Gold (… why are my spidey senses telling me I’m gonna land at a TJ Maxx or Costco or… or…. no… please… not…. BOTH!!! 😳). If there is a bar nearby, I may stop in for a quick one. 🍺
87B72FE5-8713-49E3-9745-D2A386043096.jpeg

(FYI - It ended up being Costco and Trader Joe’s) 🙄

But… she’s still adorable. 😉😀

5:03 PM - Taking Mrs. Gold out for a New Year’s Eve libation and then home to have a quiet dinner. 🥃

D975E61E-7A4A-4106-A05D-83C161C2196D.jpeg

7:22 PM - Back from having cocktails with Mrs. Gold. Starting New Year’s Eve dinner. Corking the vino. Should be sleeping like a bug in a rug by 10:00 PM.
:lol:

47661B7E-92E9-4D01-87D3-E26CC0EDDCF6.jpeg

We actually made it to midnight :thumbup1:

Wishing you all the very best for a Happy and Healthy New Year.
:badger:

And that’s it for a day in the life of footwear in 2021.

Last edited:
Happy 2022!

Is that blurring in the picture of the Alden chukkas due to the libation or just poor focusing of the camera? Maybe the iphone has a "party mode" photo option? It's a perfect shot for a New Year's eve picture!

We head back to the frozen north tomorrow (if there are any flights). Probably will get a chance to break out some boots pretty soon. The Crown Harlestones are holding up very well as a daily alternative to 990's. I'm thinking that another pair might be a good idea. Brown deer suede maybe? Then again, those would look good as a stitchdown. Lots of choices!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
@blantyre

My photography skills were slightly diminished. But I could still count from 10 backwards:

10,9,8,7,G,5,4,E,2,1

(Original shot)
74CA7335-6D55-4093-A067-872C48E9853C.jpeg

As for the Harlestones, those new Shell Cordovan color offerings are just incredible. I just don’t think I can even go their website anymore and look at them for I’m afraid of what I may do.

Did you happen to catch this?

(WARNING: what your are about to see is disturbing and is only for mature audiences).

I am really liking these Woolrich Indy-styled boots. Made by Thorogood and these American made, Horween leather/Goodyear welted boots are a steal when on clearance.

7FDEF306-4DD4-4260-84BC-D30C397233FF.jpeg

IMG_4845.JPG

A few scuffs. I'll need to figure out a cleaning strategy for bison leather soon. These will most likely be out of the rotation for a while anyway since it's snowing in Chicago today - light shoes will not be needed.

I saw that video of cutting up a pair of these in cordovan when i was looking for reviews of Crown shoes. Honestly, it struck me as gratuitous vandalism - bordering on psychopathic behavior. A bit like taking a cutting torch to an AMG Mercedes and showing that underneath the glossy paint, leather and carbon fiber it's actually made of metal.

We got an inch or two of rain last night. The skeet fields at my club were pretty soft and damp. These Merrells are great on the shotgun courses because I don't have to use a toe rest on my shoe. The rubber toe doesn't get damaged from the knurled choke tubes like a leather toed shoe does.

20220102_151840.jpg

Top Bottom