What's new

Footwear of the Day

Last night we got 2+ inches of rain, then it turned cold and put down 4" of snow. Needless to say everything is either muddy or snowy. Muck boots are the shoes for it. As comfortable as tennis shoes and waterproof up to my calves.
20220103_145032.jpg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As for my seller’s remorse, I’m sure it will quickly subside once I divert the proceeds from this sale to a pair of boots that have been on my radar for quite some time…

The Alden 405 Indy boot.
View attachment 1386360
After selling my Red Wing Iron Ranger boot, I “needed” to replace that style of boot and have had my eye on the Alden 405 Indy boot.

So the 405 sizing was a bit of a challenge for me. Going on the premise that the Trubalance last of the Indy boot mirrored the sizing of the Barrie last (perhaps with a bit more room in the toe box) I tried on a 9E and 9.5D.

The 9E was surprisingly very small (since I wear 9E on other Barrie-lasted shoes). The 9.5D provided some relief in the toe area but was still too tight across the instep. A 9D is also arriving next week but no point in even trying them on. I’m guessing a 9.5E or maybe even 10E may get it done. An EE width may prove to be a bit much.

Of note was the color disparity between the two pair. The 9E is that orange/pumpkin color (which I prefer) while the 9.5D was more reddish-brown, closer to a Indy 403 although not as dark. I’m interested to see the shade of brown of the 9D.
C1D709EC-A70F-473A-9779-702EAB2E6BD2.jpeg
429BE045-563B-4996-9185-B7D35F644497.jpeg

58964B41-EBEB-498D-865A-FEAABD64EFE7.jpeg

The search continues…. :scooter:

I agree that the lighter color is better. good luck with your quest.

I’m interested to know that EE is even available. I have always felt cut out of the Alden action since they so rarely offer any wider fittings. Several years ago, I found a pair of the moccasin style in color 8 that worked but that’s been it. I’ve tried several times but it doesn’t make sense to buy a $700 pair (or really any) of shoes that pinch. I have much respect for Allen Edmonds for offering full range of widths for almost all their styles. I think their quality may have dropped a bit over the last decade or so. I have some older shoes from them that are as good as anything I’ve seen anywhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom