What's new

Footwear of the Day

@blantyre this is in no way directed at you, however after seeing those New balance I did laugh out loud at one of the best pranks a son ever pulled on his father.

At the gym I used to go to there was a guy named Bob and he had a white pair of those NB's. His son took them, one night, and with yellow, red, orange and black permanent markers drew flames and stripes along the sides. On the tongue and heel topline he wrote "Mallwalkers" when I saw that I chuckled and Bob told me the story. I asked him if he was mad. He said "Hell no. That's the most ambitious thing that he's done in the past 3 months, let him have his fun" and he would always wear those sneakers in the gym has a badge of honor.

Hmm, “Bob” that name sounds familiar. Is he the Johnniegold chap with all the shoes?

As for 990s the term “athletic shoe” is a bit of a stretch in my case. I often wear them to the gym but I’m a swimmer so they are mostly used as a place to store my socks while I’m in the pool. Still they are very comfortable and if laced right can be slipped on and off and still remaining properly fitted. I walk a lot in them as well. Also with the grey laces they don’t look too casual. I’ve worn them to the theatre and dinners out many times. A winner that’s been in my wardrobe for many years. No plans to jazz mine up with a marker pen though.

It’s been raining heavily here so not a chance to wear these yet.

From my local tailor who brings them in from Portugal.

0091BB0A-4A36-4240-9C2F-E4061BA0EBA5.jpeg

After, in the case of the red pair, several years of regular use, I decided to give my carpet slippers a mild recondition. Scrubbed some of the glaze of the soles with scotch rite. A light wipe with Saphir renovateur, buffed with a cloth. They look a lot better - probably good for another 3 or 4 years at least.

8C921F59-8849-4C37-8577-6D74E1995215.jpeg

I see that Crown Northampton is offering a limited run of the Harlestones in color 4 shell. What great way that would be to start off the New Year. I’ve deleted the email so that it won’t be so easy to keep checking stock. Hopefully they will sellout before I get off the fence!

I decided to take my bikes out for a spin today because they had been sitting a month or longer. I don't think I have ever worn these Danners on this particular bike. When I got home, I noticed smoke. That was from my boot heel burning on the single walled drag pipe. I hate that I messed up a pretty darn expensive boot this way. Even worse, there was no oven cleaner in the house to clean the burned rubber off the chrome pipe
20211227_164340.jpg

Top Bottom