What's new

Foods That You Despise

Borscht and Schav. Google 'em if you don't know what they are.

As a kid, I used to look on in horror as my father would gleefully gobble these down. I tried 'em once or twice but never developed the same appreciation for these East European delicacies that he had.

Most of the things that I can't stand have been mentioned. I'll add this to the list: I have a mother in law that 1. is a lousy cook, but thinks otherwise and 2. saves leftovers until they turn green, scrapes off the mold and uses them. My grown children caught on years ago and forbade their kids from eating anything in or from her house. One of her favorites is to grind stuff up and make "delicious soup". She loves to save leftover Chinese food for endless re-use and combining with anything else that's around. One of my grandsons told her that he liked rice pudding, so she made some out of archived vegetable fried rice. The best part was watching him avoid having to eat it front of her. She's now over 90 and these habits are exaggerated, but my skin crawls when she pulls food out of the refrigerator. My wife and others purge it periodically for safety (if not sanity) reasons. She's been like this for as long as I've known her (50+ years), so it's not an old age thing; my late father in law (doctor) claimed that the reason for his heavy drinking was to protect himself. Long winded answer, but this type of food related behavior is hideous.

I had a grandmother who was very similar to that. Kept canned goods for way to long too. I recall making chocolate milk at the farm and noticing the promotion on the back. which my uncle pointed out expired the year of my birth. I was 11 at the time...

Not sure how that family survived. I do recall them eating as much as they could during breakfast. One thing she could cook was potato pancakes, it's also really tough to goof up cereal;)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Limburger (Stink), Cheese!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Cheese: milk's leap toward immortality". Clifton Fadiman

Last edited:
Uni/sea urchin is a true delicacy to me. When fresh and good, I am not sure there is anything I like better.

I love Uni. I can't always get it at the Sushi bar I frequent, and even when they have it on the menu, its expensive. I like places where I can order it one piece at a time instead of in pairs, but that option isn't available at the place I go to now.

I always save it for the end of the meal as a dessert. I will finish up everything else (I usually order a Chirashi) and then cleanse my palate with water and Ginger. I eat the Uni slowly, taking time to let it dissolve in my mouth, and then I can still taste it for about 30 minutes after I leave the restaurant. Although they usually serve it on top of a cake of rice wrapped in Nori, I leave that behind so it doesn't spoil the taste of the Uni.

There was a place in Baltimore that had LIVE urchins in a tank behind the bar, and they would catch one and serve it to you. I went to this place a couple of times wanting to try the live Uni, but they never had any when I was there. Still, the rest of their menu was superb.

Hakarl and mayonnaise. And between those two I'd rather have mayo.

Where did you find Hakarl? I never found any in Iceland to try, though I wish I would have looked harder for it. I doubt I would have enjoyed it, but it would have been worth it just to say I had.

I had urchin for the first time earlier in the year, it had been out of the ocean for less than 5 minutes before I ate it. The spines were still moving too, crazy fresh seafood and it was delicious.

I don't think I've ever eaten anything I'd never eat again, and I've eaten balut :blink:

Where did you find Hakarl? I never found any in Iceland to try, though I wish I would have looked harder for it. I doubt I would have enjoyed it, but it would have been worth it just to say I had.

I'm in culinary school and am doing my apprenticeship hours at an upscale fish house. Our executive chef fermented some for about six months and we all tried it just to say we had. It was an absolutely horrible experience.

I'm in culinary school and am doing my apprenticeship hours at an upscale fish house. Our executive chef fermented some for about six months and we all tried it just to say we had. It was an absolutely horrible experience.

I can imagine it would be awful. If I ever go back to Iceland, I'm going to the section of the country where it's made. Apparently it smells pretty bad. We stopped in a port city not far away that had a fishing fleet, the smell was horrible. The air vents in our rental car stank for a couple days after.

I grew up with a mix of a traditional and somewhat non-traditional diet since my Mother is from the PI. The two things that absolutely, positively revolt me are:

Balut - A developing duck embryo. I've had them several times and can't get past the first bite. Imagine the strongest egg you've ever had x 1000 with soft bones, beak, and sometimes feathers.

Durien - A spiny fruit that smells to me like rotting onions, sewage, and dirty sweat socks. I know some people describe the palate as being like custard with an almondy flavor, but it to me is even worse than balut.

Give me all the Spam, organ meats including Fois Gras, and insects as these two are the only two things that I will give a refusal. I have an immediate physical response to both when they hit my palate.

I grew up with a mix of a traditional and somewhat non-traditional diet since my Mother is from the PI. The two things that absolutely, positively revolt me are:

Balut - A developing duck embryo. I've had them several times and can't get past the first bite. Imagine the strongest egg you've ever had x 1000 with soft bones, beak, and sometimes feathers.

Durien - A spiny fruit that smells to me like rotting onions, sewage, and dirty sweat socks. I know some people describe the palate as being like custard with an almondy flavor, but it to me is even worse than balut.

Give me all the Spam, organ meats including Fois Gras, and insects as these two are the only two things that I will give a refusal. I have an immediate physical response to both when they hit my palate.

Okay, you win. Balut and Durian are the worst, ever.

That and sea cucumber. It tastes okay for a few moments, but it's like gnawing on cartilage. Some things aren't meant to be eaten by human beings.

I've never tried hongeo, but never try it. It's skate fish (which pees through its skin), that fermented for months, then eaten raw like sushi. It's said to smell like ammonia, a taste like licking a urinal.

-Organ meats
-fast food. Since going on my diet, its just completely unappetizing. Except KFC. I want some, but I have willpower :)
-Insects. No way.
-Lima beans alone. Mixed with other veggies they are ok, though.
- CHEAP Canned mystery meats. Spam is good fried, but vienna sausage, potted meat YUCK! The smell makes me ill.
-Overcooked dried out and burnt steak. Or meat of any kind. Dried out chicken is nasty, I own and use a meat thermometer for chicken and pork! Once its done on the grill, I give it another few minutes for safety and off it comes!

Probably more I'm missing. I LOVE most every veggie, brussels sprouts and Beets are both delicious! YUM! Fish of all kinds, Crab, Calamari, yum yum, and more yum!

I love Uni. I can't always get it at the Sushi bar I frequent, and even when they have it on the menu, its expensive. I like places where I can order it one piece at a time instead of in pairs, but that option isn't available at the place I go to now.

I always save it for the end of the meal as a dessert. I will finish up everything else (I usually order a Chirashi) and then cleanse my palate with water and Ginger. I eat the Uni slowly, taking time to let it dissolve in my mouth, and then I can still taste it for about 30 minutes after I leave the restaurant. Although they usually serve it on top of a cake of rice wrapped in Nori, I leave that behind so it doesn't spoil the taste of the Uni.

There was a place in Baltimore that had LIVE urchins in a tank behind the bar, and they would catch one and serve it to you. I went to this place a couple of times wanting to try the live Uni, but they never had any when I was there. Still, the rest of their menu was superb.

Well said. As I think about it, uni may be my favorite thing. As I understand it, there was a heyday period for uni in the US in the '80s when numerous uni operations opened along the west coast to serve a fly in market for uni in Japan. Again as I understand it, everyone of those operations closed down when Japan first had major financial problems, I guess in the late 80s. For awhile, the only uni they seemed to have around the DC area was from Maine. It was undersized and all seemed to have an off odor. In recent years better uni seems to be around again. It is precious stuff, though.

The first uni I ever had was off, I assume because it was too old. Not something that will make someone like it.

I have had durian smoothies, which seemed unobjectionable, but they must really show off the durian flavor. I have never had much in the way of fermented fish. I suppose fish sauce is fermented fish and I like that in pho.

Sea cucumber seems great, but it really is more of a texture than anything else.

I also, oddly, like some cheap tinned meats. Not Spam. But I like cheap potted meats. I like most pickled stuff.

Hongeo sounds awful. Not a fan of limburger. However, some really stinky cheeses seem great.

Top Bottom