What's new

Foods That You Despise

Thanks, but this is definitely worse than haggis. It is supposed to taste like that! The place was renowned for having such delicious andouillette.

I don't know because I refused to eat it. I've never seen REAL haggis, but thus looked and sounds like what I imagine

I don't know because I refused to eat it. I've never seen REAL haggis, but thus looked and sounds like what I imagine
I swear, I thought it was going to be one of those things that smelled worse than it tasted, like an old cheese. I could not have been more wrong.

I swear, I thought it was going to be one of those things that smelled worse than it tasted, like an old cheese. I could not have been more wrong.

from wiki:
If made with the small intestine, it is a plump sausage generally about 25 mm in diameter but often it is much larger, possibly 7–10 cm in diameter, and stronger in scent when the colon is used.

OK, I'm out.

Most of the things that I can't stand have been mentioned. I'll add this to the list: I have a mother in law that 1. is a lousy cook, but thinks otherwise and 2. saves leftovers until they turn green, scrapes off the mold and uses them. My grown children caught on years ago and forbade their kids from eating anything in or from her house. One of her favorites is to grind stuff up and make "delicious soup". She loves to save leftover Chinese food for endless re-use and combining with anything else that's around. One of my grandsons told her that he liked rice pudding, so she made some out of archived vegetable fried rice. The best part was watching him avoid having to eat it front of her. She's now over 90 and these habits are exaggerated, but my skin crawls when she pulls food out of the refrigerator. My wife and others purge it periodically for safety (if not sanity) reasons. She's been like this for as long as I've known her (50+ years), so it's not an old age thing; my late father in law (doctor) claimed that the reason for his heavy drinking was to protect himself. Long winded answer, but this type of food related behavior is hideous.

Mayonaise.

Cannot stand it and consider it extremely unnecessary for sandwiches. Highly annoying since, by default, most sandwiches come with mayo.

Blegh.

Most of the things that I can't stand have been mentioned. I'll add this to the list: I have a mother in law that 1. is a lousy cook, but thinks otherwise and 2. saves leftovers until they turn green, scrapes off the mold and uses them. My grown children caught on years ago and forbade their kids from eating anything in or from her house. One of her favorites is to grind stuff up and make "delicious soup". She loves to save leftover Chinese food for endless re-use and combining with anything else that's around. One of my grandsons told her that he liked rice pudding, so she made some out of archived vegetable fried rice. The best part was watching him avoid having to eat it front of her. She's now over 90 and these habits are exaggerated, but my skin crawls when she pulls food out of the refrigerator. My wife and others purge it periodically for safety (if not sanity) reasons. She's been like this for as long as I've known her (50+ years), so it's not an old age thing; my late father in law (doctor) claimed that the reason for his heavy drinking was to protect himself. Long winded answer, but this type of food related behavior is hideous.

Over 90 and probably has an immune system that would stop a tactical nuke.

Funny, I read this thread as Bizarre Foods comes on.

I ave a really hard time thinking of foods that I don't like... but beets have always been one of them. I can stand pickled beets on salad, but that's about it. My dad grew beets in the garden when I was a kid and loved them. There were many occasions in the summer where he'd pee red from eating them.

I will eat anything but walnuts. They are horrible tasting at best, and ruin anything that includes them in its recipe.

I take milk with coffee, cereal, etc., but can't drink it alone. Other than that, anything uncovered in Food, Inc. aside from the organic stuff!

I will eat and for the most part like the things folks have named. I do not think I would eat balut. Chinese so-called thousand-year old eggs seem pretty vile. I have tried chitterlings prepared many ways and I just do not like them at all. Pretty limited universe of things I hate.

Uni/sea urchin is a true delicacy to me. When fresh and good, I am not sure there is anything I like better.

Okra is fine fried. I am not offended by it stewed, but it seems pretty slimely and unappetizing. I have had deep fried grasshoppers. Pretty meh, for sure.

Most lima beans are pretty bad. Fresh baby limas or butter beans are wonderful. Brussel sprouts are another thing that can be really good, or really bad.

Have never tried haggis. Depending on the smell, I might be okay with it. Andouillette sounds bad. See chitterlings, above. Some descriptions talk about tripe as a filling, though. I like tripe. Intestines, no.

I love beets.

Broccoli. I know I'm supposed to like it so I keep trying it and keep not liking it. There's not enough Cheez Whiz in the world to overcome broccoli's awfulness. Indeed, I dislike most green vegetables but can usually prepare them in such a way as to make them semi-tolerable.

Chicken Feet....way too high cartilage/bone ratio to meat to make them worth it.
+1 ... I've never had them, I never will. The first time I saw chicken feet was in a Brazilian/Portuguese supermarket that I used to frequent for shaving supplies. They had the chicken feet paclaged in styrofoam trays and wrapped in cellophane, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. People actually eat those things?

Over in the butcher section, they had fully skinned whole pigs and a baby goat. Not savory looking at all in that format. In the seafood section, they had live eels swimming upright in a tank. All of it just made me want to puke. I couldn't imagine eating any of those things, and besides, the store as a whole was pretty dirty.

The smell of cinnamon makes my skin crawl. I can't even be in the same room with someone eating a cinnamon covered donut. I can enjoy it when its in trace amounts (like Old Bay seasoning) but if its a major ingredient and its visible on top of food, it just turns my stomach.

Same thing with popcorn. I don't like the smell, I don't like the texture, I don't like how it leaves little bitty pieces between my teeth and makes my fingers all slippery from the butter. If someone at work fixes a bag of popcorn in the microwave, I have to step out for a cigarette until they're done with eating it.

Top Bottom