What's new

Focus Tritok concave

Got my Focus Tritok concave yesterday, so I had to give it a try this morning. I’m not yet sure whether it’s quite as efficient as my Razorock Lupo .95, but man, is it smooth! After shaving, I had absolutely no alum sting at all. I could have been using a piece of plastic by the feel. The only razor that has been that smooth for me is a Feather AS-D2, and it’s much less efficient. I plan to use this razor for at least another week or two before deciding, but this may turn out to be my grail razor.
Jack

Couple of photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 73

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The stainless steel was at one point easier to get in the USA than Europe. Will have to check if one is available at the Goodfellas again.

Reactions: Kix
Got my Focus Tritok concave yesterday, so I had to give it a try this morning. I’m not yet sure whether it’s quite as efficient as my Razorock Lupo .95, but man, is it smooth! After shaving, I had absolutely no alum sting at all. I could have been using a piece of plastic by the feel. The only razor that has been that smooth for me is a Feather AS-D2, and it’s much less efficient. I plan to use this razor for at least another week or two before deciding, but this may turn out to be my grail razor.
Jack
Great summary. Really enjoy mine

Eben Stone

Staff member
Can someone please confirm what the blade angle is on this razor? I'm talking about the angle of the blade compared to the shave plane. From the last image on IB it appears that this razor doesnt bend the blade at all.

Can someone please confirm what the blade angle is on this razor? I'm talking about the angle of the blade compared to the shave plane. From the last image on IB it appears that this razor doesnt bend the blade at all.

I tried to get a picture, but it's too dark out. It does bend the blade, but it's like 3° or something. It's mostly sandwiching the blade like all the Tritok razors.

Wait a minute, you are posting in a thread about the conctave and linking the flat one. That one has absolutely no bend.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I tried to get a picture, but it's too dark out. It does bend the blade, but it's like 3° or something. It's mostly sandwiching the blade like all the Tritok razors.

Wait a minute, you are posting in a thread about the conctave and linking the flat one. That one has absolutely no bend.
Oops, you're right, that link is to the flat. But that's the best photo I found (that's not from another forum).

Thanks for the info.

Looking at the photos make me cringe. As if somehow my basic understanding of physics is being challenged by the existence of this razor. I just don't get how it can work without any blade bend.

I'm tempted to buy one just to experience how it works.

Looking at the photos make me cringe. As if somehow my basic understanding of physics is being challenged by the existence of this razor. I just don't get how it can work without any blade bend.
I know exactly what you mean, it’s completely different to anything else I have found. The reason it works, and looks like it wouldn’t, is because the head clamps nearly the entire blade. The blade isn’t just clamped at the ends and you can barely see it once it’s in there. The concave is the best choice if you are going to try one.

The Tritok is amazingly smooth. The only razor which (for me) is as smooth is a Feather AS-D2, which is a much milder razor. I’m still working on technique to see if I can get better results on a problem patch on my neck. There doesn’t appear to be anything that makes that spot easy.
Jack

I’m still working on technique to see if I can get better results on a problem patch on my neck. There doesn’t appear to be anything that makes that spot easy.
With a low blade exposure razor, it's not easy! The only real option is to go blade first straight in and then make a scooping motion, same as under the nose. Finding the right direction to pull your skin so the offending hairs stand at attention is probably the harder part and may require multiple pulls and swipes in several directions. The Focus won't bite, but you will feel the blade edge when you approach that steep, it tells you that you have found the right angle!

I’m wondering if anyone has used both the concave and the slant. I presume the slant would be more aggressive. I wonder if it’s as smooth as the concave or close to as smooth.
Jack

I’m wondering if anyone has used both the concave and the slant. I presume the slant would be more aggressive. I wonder if it’s as smooth as the concave or close to as smooth.
Jack
The slant is much milder than the concave, closer in all regards to the standard one. I do find it to have some benefit, but not as much as the concave because it's not helical. Smooth is an understatement, you won't even feel the blade!

I’m a bit surprised that the slant isn’t more aggressive. Scratch that one off the possible future purchase list. My shaves with the concave are improving. Strictly going across the grain and against the grain. Hard to believe that I get no alum sting at all, even if I do an extra pass. Feels like I’m rubbing a rounded piece of plastic over the shaved area.
If this razor had crossed my radar a while ago it would have saved me a lot of money. There may be a razor that suits me better out there, but it will be a while before I’ll have the itch to experiment again.
Jack

Still really happy with the Focus Concave. I have found that, like the Feather AS-D2, you can use a small amount of pressure without consequences. I’m not sure that I am getting quite as good a shave as with the Razorock Lupo .95, but the Focus is so effortless. I know that I am really going to have to be extra careful next time I use a different razor, since I certainly can’t be so carefree with my other razors. I could just stick with the Focus, but we all know RAD will strike me again sometime soon. I still haven’t tried any slants!
Jack

Broke down and got a Timeless Ti crown handle for the Tritok. Balance feels greatly improved. Looking forward to tomorrow’s shave. Kinda wish I bought the polished version, though.
Jack

Top Bottom