What's new

Flowers and Razors

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This shaving soap was 1,79€ and well, it's a steal really.

That is a good price. Its about $10 a tub here in Canada.

You might also try the White if you havent yet. It has a very nice scent, sort of similar to the Green but....fresher, or something lol. The Red is also very nice, but a richer, heavier Sandalwood type scent.

@Jill Snoddon oh, that's a shame. I got the samples to see how would a full sized product perform so I'm kind of still hoping they do somewhat compare.

Today I quickly hopped to a small shop in Italy and found they keep some Proraso Green soaps. Well, they had almost the whole green line which was lovely. The most expensive thing was the aftershave splash (about 4€). I was kind of pissed as I bought a full-sized (Sensitive) from a UK store and paid about 6x the price it was in Italy. This shaving soap was 1,79€ and well, it's a steal really.
To forget the bad shave from yesterday I'll give it a go today.

View attachment 893045
Proraso needs water and a pasty lather isn't really good. Proraso is a staple in Italy.

You might also try the White if you havent yet. It has a very nice scent, sort of similar to the Green but....fresher, or something lol. The Red is also very nice, but a richer, heavier Sandalwood type scent.

The Proraso soaps in the states are around $8 US. And I love the Red. I just found the Green and White at a local retailer for $4 each. So I grabbed both to try.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Proraso soaps in the states are around $8 US. And I love the Red. I just found the Green and White at a local retailer for $4 each. So I grabbed both to try.

I keep all three around and like them all, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the White. I really like the Red, but its not a scent I could use every shave. Its on deck for today.

Thanks! I needed to check my lather vocabulary as I had no idea what does pasty mean in terms of lather. Now I know that pasty lather is a flat lather. With less air. So I guess I should add some extra water and whisking time to make it fluffy?
Proraso needs water and a pasty lather isn't really good. Proraso is a staple in Italy.

Thanks! I needed to check my lather vocabulary as I had no idea what does pasty mean in terms of lather. Now I know that pasty lather is a flat lather. With less air. So I guess I should add some extra water and whisking time to make it fluffy?
Think creamy, not foamy.

I did a 5th shave with the Treet Classic blade.
I used the Proraso Green shaving soap and no bowl. I decided to lather it directly on my skin as it's the way I am quite used to by now.

The lathering was really easy and in no time I had this creamy lather goddess. It was amazing! I mean yes, there were times in between where I was trying to see if the lather is too watery or too thick, but I think I did learn know to get it to the right consistency.
The shave was uneventful - no cuts, no nicks and I am left with super smooth legs. I love it!
I also enjoyed the slight cooling effect the soap had and that it wasn't as drying as the last one (Bay's rum). It was pretty good!

If I had picked up this soap as my starting soap I don't think I'd even want to try another soap. It's just so simple and easy to use that it hurts. :p

Anyway, today's shave was quicker and more enjoyable than last one. I feel the blade is coming to its end. It didn't tug but it did kind of skip here and there. It is an interesting observation and I'm not really sure what to do with it.
I'm also curious if the blade will survive the 6th shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I had picked up this soap as my starting soap I don't think I'd even want to try another soap. It's just so simple and easy to use that it hurts. :p

Proraso is an underrated soap. It really does work well once you dial it in. Its a great value and easily available. I can buy both Green and White locally, but they dont stock Red. :(

I don't think the Green (menthol eucalyptus) smells anything like the White (Sensitive)

I did a 5th shave with the Treet Classic blade.
I used the Proraso Green shaving soap and no bowl. I decided to lather it directly on my skin as it's the way I am quite used to by now.

The lathering was really easy and in no time I had this creamy lather goddess. It was amazing! I mean yes, there were times in between where I was trying to see if the lather is too watery or too thick, but I think I did learn know to get it to the right consistency.
The shave was uneventful - no cuts, no nicks and I am left with super smooth legs. I love it!
I also enjoyed the slight cooling effect the soap had and that it wasn't as drying as the last one (Bay's rum). It was pretty good!

Anyway, today's shave was quicker and more enjoyable than last one. I feel the blade is coming to its end. It didn't tug but it did kind of skip here and there. It is an interesting observation and I'm not really sure what to do with it.
I'm also curious if the blade will survive the 6th shave.
I wish I had your control. I am definitely afflicted with PAD

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don't think the Green (menthol eucalyptus) smells anything like the White (Sensitive)

I find the same base note among all three Proraso soaps. It smells like oatmeal to me haha. Its most noticeable in the White and about equal in the Green and Red.

If I had picked up this soap as my starting soap I don't think I'd even want to try another soap. It's just so simple and easy to use . . .

I did pick it as my starting soap, and used it for more than half my shaves for months. I have things I like better now, but it does everything well at a price that doesn't make you think twice. (I do have SAD, so no price makes me think twice . . . I just had to stop looking at some point.)

I did pick it as my starting soap, and used it for more than half my shaves for months. I have things I like better now, but it does everything well at a price that doesn't make you think twice. (I do have SAD, so no price makes me think twice . . . I just had to stop looking at some point.)
What is SAD?
I kind of get it. I was the same with makeup, nail polish and then skincare items. But at some point I realized I really don't need everything. I just need what I can use up. And there's no point of having 5 of the same products open. That can kind of apply to shaving too, so I'm trying to not go overboard. I think I will stop getting new soaps for now. I have everything I need to learn how to lather and shave.

The only thing I'm lacking in my set is an alumn block. That's the only thing I'm getting for now.

I find the same base note among all three Proraso soaps. It smells like oatmeal to me haha. Its most noticeable in the White and about equal in the Green and Red.
I did get the white one for a gift. I sniffed it and well both (green and white) have a really gentle scent. I was expecting something stronger like with soaps. But it's okay either way.

Ha ha! So 'SAD' is 'Soap Addiction Disorder' . . . but I have to admit, 'PAD' is a new one on me . . . I'm guessing 'Proraso Addiction Disorder'?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Purchasing Acquisition Disorder.

BOSC.2.BuyThemAll.Large..jpg

Today I tested my sister's setup with a new Treet Classic blade to see why she hates it and says it's too aggressive plus why she can't get a good, close shave.

The setup was:
Treet Classic blade
L'Occitane shaving soap
HFM shaving brush (I think it's boar)
Some 15€ razor that has no brand, no idea really

I wet the brush and let it soak for a minute in hot water to soften it up. It worked like a charm but the difference between using this brush and a synthetic is pretty obvious. But the lathering with it worked like a charm. It was in no time that I had a nice creamy lather. I didn't like the combo at first and thought that the soap didn't have enough of a slick residue but when I finally got enough of the soap on my skin, I changed my idea. The shave was uneventful except for three small nicks when I zooned out.

I was left with smooth legs with some slight irritated parts (red dots). I finished the shave with some kikumatsamune toner and then my aftershave lotion by Afrodita Cosmetics.

Overall it was a lovely shave, and I'm quite sure my sister needs to work on her technique instead of thinking about getting a new razor.
proxy.php

Top Bottom