What's new

Flavored Beer

I went to our local grocery store which has a beer and wine bar. They had 8 beers on tap - but not one was a traditional beer or ale. Every single beer was flavored. Citrus beer, chocolate beer, orange beer, pineapple beer, chocolate beer, grapefruit beer, strawberry beer, lemon shandy. But not one unflavored porter, IPA, stout, or ale.

Perhaps it's me, but what has happened to beer?

I think there's a renewed interest in beer, caused by people taking risks and making flavoured or hoppy beers. I like them, but I often find my favourite is a porter, where the flavour of the grains and yeast are the stars, rather than a smack in the lips with half a field of hops.

At least one classic on tap would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its the latest trend in craft beer. I enjoy them sometimes although a lot of them honestly arent very good. Right now, theres so many craft breweries out there, so people are constantly trying new things to be different and stand out.

-Broad appreciation of beer styles other than Lite American lager.
-A focus on locally produced beer.
-Small businesses like microbreweries or brew pubs flourishing.
-Appreciation of American Hops and the emergence of the American IPA as a discinct global beer style.

These are all good things. Fruit in beer? Not so much.

Take the good with the bad, I guess!

Coffee fans, try some of this some time, it's excellent!

proxy.php

What's the problem?? Just put on your black skinny jeans, pull your hair up into a man bun, jump on a fixed gear bicycle and get with the times!

That's amazing. I've tried many fruit flavored beers. They are ok for a few sips but I need my beers to taste like beer.

A citrus-y, white ale is about as far as I prefer to go. I enjoy ciders well enough but my brother-in-law highly recommended an apple flavored lager, to me, named "Mad Jack". It just wasn't for me at all. I enjoyed a couple Radlers over my summer vacation and they weren't awful. They weren't what I'd consider a beer though... Watered down, flavored beer, yes... Beer, no. Give me the traditional ales and I'm a happy guy.

How can they NOT have a standard beer on tap? Hate on American beer all you want, but it's still better than 99% of the flavored beers I tried. I do have to give special mention for grapefruit shandies. If there is one acceptable flavor to add to beer, that would be it. Limes are too for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom