What's new

Flat Caps

I may have to buy 2 more flat caps now.
Yeah, it never hurts when an attractive looking woman tells you that she likes flat caps. Its even better when she is a very talented barber.
Funnier still was after that when she asked me if Id seen 1917 yet and I told her I hadnt but want to and her reaction was, "I was want to see that movie too."
For a split second I wanted to say, "lets go see it then" but then I remembered that Im a happily married man and shouldnt be doing things like that. LOL

Yeah, it never hurts when an attractive looking woman tells you that she likes flat caps. Its even better when she is a very talented barber.
Funnier still was after that when she asked me if Id seen 1917 yet and I told her I hadnt but want to and her reaction was, "I was want to see that movie too."
For a split second I wanted to say, "lets go see it then" but then I remembered that Im a happily married man and shouldnt be doing things like that. LOL

Plus it is always good to be able to go back to a talented barber with no complicated backstory to live down... :001_rolle

IMO, you get what you pay for but only to a certain extent. IMO, if you spend $50 on a flat cap and then move up to one that is $150, you really arent getting much more.
I can honestly say that the $20 flat caps that Ive bought at Kohls worked just fine, although you dont have a ton of options in terms of color or patterns.
I would imagine in the world of UK made flat caps, you only really have so many companies who make the fabric, so really even if you have different people making the actual hats, the fabric is probably going to be the same thing.

Hey, I’m over 60 so I’m generally invisible and can wear whatever I like. Most of my flat caps are decent quality, but under $50. I do think that my most expensive cap, a 90 buck Borsalino Doria, looks the best on me; but I don’t think anyone else bothers to notice, any more than they notice what great shaves I’m getting.

Past 60 there can be a lot of ‘me time’ readily available. Grab it. Enjoy it.

The coffee shops are literally teaming with women in their 50s and 60s in the mornings every day of the week. I think you could do VERY well there.

Last edited:
Zero flat-cap content in that post.

My bad. I think I edited out me mentioning I was wearing my cheap $12 Peaky Blinders newsboy flat cap that I got off Amazon. I looks horrendously bad, but I look like an absolute superstar while wearing it. It doesn't seem to matter with me. I can wear the worst flat cap and still look great.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
The Millinery in Dowtown Dallas where I have bought several hats make these newsboys out of sacks. I almost bought one now I just may.

Attachments

• 00FE338C-D583-4562-8683-FFBF1C0A022C.jpeg
    00FE338C-D583-4562-8683-FFBF1C0A022C.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 9

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
The Millinery in Dowtown Dallas where I have bought several hats make these newsboys out of sacks. I almost bought one now I just may.

Do it.

Hills Hats in Petone make a few hats out of used coffee sacks.
They look cool for summer casual. I prefer the look of the Trilby over the baker boy in this material.

Havana-Coffee-Works-Mod-Trilby-1200x800.jpg

Havana-Coffee-Works-Baker-Boy-1200x800.jpg

I've had a bit of a thing for Bakerboy caps lately and had a hankering for a red or burgundy wool herringbone. It looked to be a struggle to find one but I think I have - a Denton, at a reasonable price. On its way ..

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I think that I have that same one and I feel the same. Its a nice hat but for me its a bit on the small side and probably would be poofy if I had gotten the next size up.
LOL, no kidding? I thought my hat was a size big at first, but no, the band fits perfect. After posting here, I got curious and looked it up on Biddy Murphy's actual website instead of Amazon. Sure enough, in the description it says its a "vintage" cut with a "fuller size" that sits lower than most flat caps. So there it is. I still like it, but it took a little getting used to. I find the tweed a bit lighter than my other hat, which is Donegal. I hope that lets me wear it later into spring.

LOL, no kidding? I thought my hat was a size big at first, but no, the band fits perfect. After posting here, I got curious and looked it up on Biddy Murphy's actual website instead of Amazon. Sure enough, in the description it says its a "vintage" cut with a "fuller size" that sits lower than most flat caps. So there it is. I still like it, but it took a little getting used to. I find the tweed a bit lighter than my other hat, which is Donegal. I hope that lets me wear it later into spring.
Really theres so many different types of flat caps. That one is definitely old school.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom