What's new

Flannel Shirts

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I'm paying $350 for a flannel shirt it better be tailor made for my body (fit me perfect).
I tell you one thing I’d be wearing the #%*# out of a $250 shirt if I ever bought one. :eek2:

There ARE shirt companies that make (dress) shirts for that much or significantly more. Typically, these involve very high end fabrics as well as true bespoke tailoring and fitting(s). I guess the guys who buy those shirts need something for the weekend too ...

I’m not swimming in dough, so it’s not for me ... but ... I won’t begrudge someone else his shirty indulgence.

There ARE shirt companies that make (dress) shirts for that much or significantly more. Typically, these involve very high end fabrics as well as true bespoke tailoring and fitting(s). I guess the guys who buy those shirts need something for the weekend too ...

I’m not swimming in dough, so it’s not for me ... but ... I won’t begrudge someone else his shirty indulgence.
Doc I’m not poking fun at you or anyone else here, well accept myself maybe. Over the last few years I’ve rediscovered bamboo fabrics. I’ve bought it before in the past but for sheets and pillow cases. Now thou I’m addicted to the stuff. T-shirts, underwear and pjs mostly but I have like a couple dozen now. A few of em are $20 a piece. I were them alllll the time, all the time. I told my wife not to buy me any cotton T-shirts and pitched most of my old concert shirts and such. I’m hooked

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Agreed.

If I'm doing something where my clothing is going to get very dirty or damaged, I'll wear cheap $h!t and beat the crap out of it and not mind having to toss it when there are too many unfixable holes and paint stains.

Indeed.

One shirt I've found and enjoy wearing in colder weather is a moleskin shirt I got from Charles Tyrwhitt years ago. (I don't think they currently offer it, but no doubt someone does.) The best way to describe it is a material similar to corduroy that hasn't had the rows shaved into it.

I find that hanging woolen garments and letting them "air out" for a day or two helps a lot with extending their wearability between cleanings. Especially if I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath, and alternating between shirts on a two or three day rotation, unless I spill something on it I can get months out of a woolen shirt.

The miracle of wool.
My favorite shirt of all time was moleskin. Sadly, it seemed to have shrunk- okay, maybe not. :)

Pendleton did a line of flannel shirts with GAP a few years ago. I have two. Love them. I also have some 20+ year old Columbia Flannel shirts. The Pendleton/Gap are warm wonderful. Look sharp too. I only had the one then found the second very lightly worn on Ebay for a song. I love it! Look sharp with my Orvis fly fishing fedora.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
In my store they normally start rolling in at the end of Summer. So I am guessing the end of this month. Ours are made for my employer but they come out of China. You really need to get the next size up from what you normally wear. Cheap as. Normally around $15.00 ish per shirt.

Wool and a work shirt don't go well together for me. Has to be machine washable :)

I wash my Pendletons in the washing machine - cool setting and Woolite. Then dry flat on a towel. I dont usually bother to iron then but if I ever do its the cooler setting while it's still damp. They have held up for years. I wear a tee shirt and typically don't wear a wool shirt for super dirty work so they dont need really deep cleaning. I'll use a cheapo cotton tartan shirt if I'm doing and oil change or working in the shop with lots of greasy stuff.

I'm a fan of Uniqlo's flannel shirts, and they usually run $20-$30 in the US. Look good and don't tend to shrink in the arms. And their patterns tend to be on the dressier side which I like. The only downside is that Uniqlo uses two or three different weights of flannel material and it's not obvious what weight a particular shirt is if you buy online. Carhartt's flannel shirts are very nice too, but they are heavier and I don't like most of their colors/patterns. I have one Pendelton and it's my dressiest flannel. Probably my best-ever flannel is a Ralph Lauren Polo Jeans Company one that came off a clearance rack at Marshall Field's at least two decades ago. It's about perfect in fit and weight, and still looks great after all these years.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Amusing story about Patagonia flannel shirt.
afamily member known for re-gifting at holiday time gave me a gift. Before I even unwrapped it she said it was probably the wrong size and she would take it back. She said this several times as I was opening the box. Inside was a Patagonia flannel shirt. I held it up and it looked small. The inside tag said medium. She kept insisting that she take it back. I said thanks many times and just said I’llTake it home and try it on. It’s a medium so I’m sure it’s fine.

well now. Once home I looked at the large storehang tag left on the shirt. It’s a woman’s medium.
Spoiler alert. I’m not a woman or gender fluid. :)
However it’s a nice shirt now enjoyed by my SO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Spoiler alert. I’m not a woman or gender fluid. :)

1609735118695.png

I got a couple of lighter weight flannel shirts from Eddie Bauer on sale. I actually really like them. I've had a couple shirts from Duluth, but they tend to be wider than I am. I did have a chamois LL Bean shirt for a while that I really liked as well, but it got a hole in it. Or my daughter yacked on in when she was a baby....can't recall which. Either way, it's not available to me any longer. :D

The flannel shirts at LL Bean are fantastic. I own several, have gifted many, and Mrs. Camjr and I both have LL Bean flannel bathrobes. Great quality.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Carhartt. I bought one a couple years back and my wife got me a Filson for Christmas. The Carhartt is every bit as good, actually probably a hair better. The best thing is either can be washed, dried in a dryer and worn. You don't HAVE to iron. It will look slightly better if you do, but it's not like a lot of cheap flannel that does nothing but wrinkle when dried.

Top Bottom