What's new

Flannel Shirts

I just counted mine and I have nine, four of which are fleece-lined flannel shirts. I actually have more but there's a couple I need to remove from rotation because I see some cuffs and collars fraying. I really need to clean out my closet. I discovered some shirts wedged between others that I forgot I even had.

I don’t own a piece of wool anything. Seems like a pain! But those flannel shirts in this thread look nice!!
It sounds worse than it is. If it’s a knock around clothing or workwear it barely ever needs washing. Dress clothes only slightly more often. Wool doesn’t hold on to dirt or odor very well and it’s naturally anti funk. A good garment brush I all one really needs usually. Several companies are advertising not having to wash their wool clothes almost ever. I have not purchased from any of them though. I just think it’s cool that people are rediscovering this.

The benefit, besides wools insulation and breathability, is that you can have a shirt for decades and it still looks fine. I have shirts that I bought used 30 years ago that still look great. I do have cotton shirts as well. Mostly T-shirts for warm weather work and sweat festivals. I do have a bit of a wool clothing fetish....

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
What's the benefit of lying it flat to dry?
I see that now. I've never felt the need to dry anything flat. I dry everything on the rack and have never had issue with it causing the stuff to get misshapen. Even wool. Hey, but what do I know. Apparently not much..... :001_rolle

It would depend on the garment.

The "lie flat to dry" advice is primarily for sweaters and other garments that are knit or loosely woven. Too much gravity during the drying, and they get stretched out. But a pair of wool pants or flannel shirt should be okay to hang dry.

Years ago Lands End was my go to for flannel. IMO however their build shape changed over time, everything got a little smaller/shorter to where they really didn’t fit well anymore. I had several different years of flannels from them and the older shirts were noticeably larger than new ones directly out of the packaging.

Several years ago I switched to Duluth Trading Free Swinging flannel and I have been happy.

I have owned Pendleton and LL Been. I loved the Pendleton, but a bit too pricey for me. The LL Bean were nice but cut a little small For my build.

Just be advised, they can and often do lead into buying a set of Key or Liberty Bib Overalls. Like when the sleeves shrink, and you have to begin rolling them. That fashion faux pas requires some support through additional styling cues. Enter the bib....

All you guys who are talking about companies changing their "build fit" or whatever you want to call it, here's a thought. Have you considered that maybe the company hasn't changed their build fit? Maybe it's you who's "build" has changed? Speaking for myself, I know my fit has changed drastically over the years. I used to have a european build and as my wife likes to say, I had a "V" cut from the back. Now I'm just an oversized pear. And I have no delusions who's fault that is.

I think their fit is atrocious. I've never had to return so many items that just fit like ****.
Thanks for your comment. Both Duluth and Eddie Bauer tend to be sized a little larger than other brands. The Duluth trim fit flannel shirt in the same size as other brands fits me perfectly.

I have a bunch of different ones, but my favorites are a couple of old Pendletons that my wife got for me years ago, and a pair of Swanndri pullover "barn shirts" that bought last year.

Maybe it's you who's "build" has changed?

Without a doubt, my build has changed over the years. But, I could take an older shirt (that still fits well), measure it against the newer shirt; the newer shirt being shorter in all measurements (shoulder, sleeve length, chest and length). I saw the same thing with that companies dress shirts over time.

My wife just bought me a new flannel shirt for xmas and it's definitely another favorite. It's an Orvis that she found at Costco. It's nice and thick and super soft and definitely toasty warm. Fits great (it better it's an XXL). But the quality seems to be there. Time will tell on that front. So now I have four flannel shirts that I really love.

IMG_0069.jpeg

My wife just bought me a new flannel shirt for xmas and it's definitely another favorite. It's an Orvis that she found at Costco. It's nice and thick and super soft and definitely toasty warm. Fits great (it better it's an XXL). But the quality seems to be there. Time will tell on that front. So now I have four flannel shirts that I really love.

View attachment 1046747

Congratulations!! Great looking shirt (and I love Orvis quality)!! :a14: :a14:

View attachment 1046747
very sharp! I like the colors.

very sharp! I like the colors.

Thanks. And they are different colors from my other ones. My only complaint is that I only realized after I had been wearing it for most of the day that there are two pockets accessible from the sides just below my waist that go all the way to the front placket of the shirt. Fortunately the material that creates the pockets isn't all that thick. But I can't see actually using them for anything, which would be impossible if the shirt is tucked in. Well see. other than to create the pockets, that material appears nowhere else in the shirt so conceivably I could remove them without damaging the shirt. And I'm sure I could sew up the openings because the openings are along the side seam. For the time being I'll just leave it alone and enjoy wearing it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Add me to the list of those whose wife gave them a flannel for Christmas. Mine is a Carhartt and looks to be of very good quality.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
IMO however their build shape changed over time, everything got a little smaller/shorter to where they really didn’t fit well anymore.
I've seen such complaints when companies either first went offshore with their production or switched offshore vendors for production.

Land’s End tailored fit flannel for me. Duluth is just too boxy, although they offer a trimmer fit now. Or is makes great clothes but haven’t tried their flannel shirts.

I wear a lot of flannels in winter, my uniform is raw denim, boots and flannels. Wore almost every brand mentioned in here over the years. About 2 years ago someone turned me on to UES Flannels and Iron Heart Flannels out of Japan. They are a whole other level of flannel, like nothing I have ever touched before. Thick, beefy, rugged and warm as you can imagine. I will never go back. The Iron Hearts are very costly but worth it. The UES is probably the best bang for your buck in the industry. Just a notch under Iron Heart at 1/2 the price.

Top Bottom