What's new

Flannel Shirts

I have nice wool and work wool. One can find used wool on eBay quite reliably and reasonable for dirty work or even like new old stock for a bit more. New Filson clothing is pretty pricey, but it is perfect.

I have also found that airing wool extends the time between cleaning tremendously. I have the local cleaner launder and press my nicer dress shirts once or twice a month. It’s no big deal to have a couple wool items dry cleaned for me but wool can really go a long time between cleaning. Like some have said, cold water and hang to dry works for most garments.

I love wool. I have a lot of garments. It is one of my weaknesses. It truly lasts forever if you buy nice stuff.

Currently wearing an Orvis heavy cotton flannel (very nice on a cool day here)! :a14: :a14:
The Orvis clothing line looks nice. I have been looking at them for a while.
Lands' End is much like Duluth. Based in Wisconsin and they make a very similar product. I mean, their 2 offices are about 20 minutes apart. The difference is Duluth designs their stuff more for blue collar people, whereas Lands' End is more white collar.
Id say the quality is the same though.
I think I have some older lands end wool trousers that are very nice.

I also get very extended times between cleanings @Doc4! Wool truly is miraculous in that aspect. Nothing seems to stick to it. At least not for long.

Duluth Trading Company. One of my kids in college has a part time job at the local DTC store. All employees get 40% discounts.

I’ve been wearing Duluth flannels for several years and love them.

In the past I favored Eddie Bauer. I haven’t purchased a true flannel in over twenty years. Houston is far too hot for that type of attire. I still have my Eddie Bauer winter boots in the closet. Over thirty years old boots. Now that I think about it I have a pair of Dr Martins the same age.
anyway Eddie Bauer was my go to. 👍

I just picked up three Orvis heavy weight flannel shirts at Costco for $15 each. Two for me and one for my son. They have hand warming pockets that are perfect to stow a cell phone in. Actually I bought one and I liked it so much I went back for more.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just picked up three Orvis heavy weight flannel shirts at Costco for $15 each. Two for me and one for my son. They have hand warming pockets that are perfect to stow a cell phone in. Actually I bought one and I liked it so much I went back for more.
Oh man! They are putting up a Costco near us soon.

Who'm I kiddin'? My wife will never let me join, lol!

My favorite flannel shirt is an old Abercrombie & Fitch Big Shirt back in the 90's when A&F was a real quality clothier and before they started marketing to little spoiled rich kids. Recently I bought a really nice flannel shirt from Territory Ahead. I like it almost as much as my A&F shirt.

I have two categories: flannel shirts for work and work flannel shirts.
For flannel shirts for work, I like LL Bean and Columbia. They are of high quality and look and feel nice.
For work flannel shirts, I wear the $9 Walmart version. I was cutting wood most of the day yesterday, and by the time I was done, my shirt was soaked in sweat, sawdust, and chainsaw fumes. I certainly don't want to wear an expensive shirt doing that. When the shirt gets too trashed, I turn it into a rag and replace.
I also have a LL Bean hurricane shirt - lined flannel - that I essentially wear more as a light jacket than a true shirt.

The Orvis clothing line looks nice. I have been looking at them for a while.

I think I have some older lands end wool trousers that are very nice.

I also get very extended times between cleanings @Doc4! Wool truly is miraculous in that aspect. Nothing seems to stick to it. At least not for long.
My wife worked for Lands' End when we first started dating. Good company, good people, good products. They used to be owned by Sears but their are their own independent company now.

My three favorite flannel shirts.

My Abercrombie & Fitch Big Shirt

IMG_0027.jpeg

Another Abercrombie & Fitch shirt. They call it their Authentic Chamois Shirt. These first two both date back to the 90's.

IMG_0028.jpeg

And my Territory Ahead flannel shirt.

IMG_0029.jpeg

All three are nice and large and thick. And, of course, warm.

Man I wish A&F still made the big shirts! I never bought a flannel but have several plaid big shirts that I still love. My wife has threatened to give them away, I told her divorce will follow...

Man I wish A&F still made the big shirts! I never bought a flannel but have several plaid big shirts that I still love. My wife has threatened to give them away, I told her divorce will follow...

Man. I've had the same issue with my wife. She has gone on a cleaning whirlwind through the house and has attempted to throw out my stuff the I haven't touched in a while. Just because I haven't touched it in a while doesn't mean I don't want it anymore. That's a big issue for me and if we do end up divorcing that will be one of the reasons it happens. I consider that a lack of respect.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I buy the cheapest flannel (flanellette) shirts that I can find. Most of mine come from the Salvation Army stores or similar stores. If I buy new ones they normally come from the supermarket where I work as they are cheapies out of China.

I saw that the US Costco website shows the Orvis flannel shirts, but they aren't listed on the Canadian site. I'm going to send in the suggestion form to get them to stock them (and maybe some wet shaving stuff) in Canadian stores.

The only one that my local Costco carries in-store is a Haggar brushed cotton plaid shirt. Seems decently made (in Cambodia) and is cheap enough at $20 CAD (= $15 USD), but I'd prefer the Orvis at that price.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a Grandfather flannel shirt in the British Goods store in Freeport, ME - but I swear it's made in Ireland.

It has a banded collar and only about 5 buttons, so it requires an over the head move to get it on. Warm shirt and it washes great.

Truly enjoy the Cabelas chamois shirts; since the buyout I've bought a couple of RedHeads which are nice and hard wearing, too. I've got Eddie Bauer and Filson wool as well; they're reserved for severe "up North" travel and stay well away from mills and mines because of the fact I can't machine wash them.

I purchased a Grandfather flannel shirt in the British Goods store in Freeport, ME - but I swear it's made in Ireland.

It has a banded collar and only about 5 buttons, so it requires an over the head move to get it on. Warm shirt and it washes great.
Sounds cool.

Top Bottom