What's new

Flannel Shirts

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Where I live the typical flannel shirt is not so much a fashion choice but a lifestyle.
Sounds like a great place to live
1616703698307.png

1616703774409.png

... depends which lifestyle!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Bill's Khakis is the brand I like, since they are made in the USA, and I look for 'em on Poshmark 'cause it's cheaper.

I also will look for vintage LL Bean or Woolrich that were made in the USA. I say vintage because they used to be made here, but now they're not.

But I suppose you could make the argument that if you're buying used/consignment/Goodwill or whatever it doesn't really matter where they are made, as your dollars are not really going to the company at that point.

Last edited:
Minnesota winters are not kind so flannel shirts easily dominate my wardrobe during the cool and cold months. I absolutely hate it when I find a nice looking flannel shirt, wash it once and have the sleeves shrink above my wrists or the body shrinks so my belly is sticking out if I reach above my head. Lesson learned - cheap flannel shirts aren't worth it. The best flannel shirts I've owned are LL Bean, especially the fleece-lined flannel shirts. They are so soft and warm. They're a bit too rich for my blood ($80) so I've picked mine up gently used off Ebay for $20-$30.
Great tip! I just picked up 4 on ebay. No fleece though. 2 LL Beans, a RL Polo, and an Eddie Bauer. They all looked like they came right out of the plastic bag. Averaged about $20 each. Just clicked on the items or saved them in my watch list and the offers came pouring in. Now is the time to buy since we just passed flannel wearing weather here in the northeast US. I am ready for the fall!

Great tip! I just picked up 4 on ebay. No fleece though. 2 LL Beans, a RL Polo, and an Eddie Bauer. They all looked like they came right out of the plastic bag. Averaged about $20 each. Just clicked on the items or saved them in my watch list and the offers came pouring in. Now is the time to buy since we just passed flannel wearing weather here in the northeast US. I am ready for the fall!

I bought a lot of nice flannels off-season, one of my favorites in mid-summer. I have so many now that I don't dare look at them any more!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I bought a lot of nice flannels off-season, one of my favorites in mid-summer. I have so many now that I don't dare look at them any more!
I have to hide my shirts from the lovely War Department! She, unfortunately, is not a clothes horse. But I have gotten SO MANY shirts, vests, shoes....for pennies on the dollar from the 'Bay that she only complains a little....

Forgot to mention I bought 2 from Lands End website for about $18 each, before shipping. Darnit, now they have free shipping no minimum order. I paid $9 shipping. Still not a bad deal. I had only one flannel shirt in my closet a week ago! SWMBO doesnt like them but I do!

I have to hide my shirts from the lovely War Department! She, unfortunately, is not a clothes horse. But I have gotten SO MANY shirts, vests, shoes....for pennies on the dollar from the 'Bay that she only complains a little....
Haha you posted as I was typing my last post. I had only bought a pair of shoes and one shirt before on ebay. Used to check out a local Goodwill that recently closed but never bought anything but vinyl records.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Haha you posted as I was typing my last post. I had only bought a pair of shoes and one shirt before on ebay. Used to check out a local Goodwill that recently closed but never bought anything but vinyl records.
Our friends all joke that we have reversed roles, my wife and I....but they don't use those exact words!

I became a Cosmetologist at 17ish, and a nurse about 25 years after that, and she would rather be outside splitting wood than doing laundry, so it works out for us!

Almost 33 years of a marriage where neither of us have tried to poison the other, so I think we're going to make it!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
When I saw this thread at the top, my first thought was "who's buying flannel shirts?! Its finally warm out." But now that I think about, right now is probably the BEST time to buy flannels on sale. Happy flannel hunting, guys!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Many years ago Bud's Store in Brant Rock, Massachusetts was going out of business. Bud's was the kind of place that sold seaworms, hardware, clothing, beach supplies, baked goods, auto parts, records and books, housewares, beer and wine, etc. A real general store. Items stacked from floor to ceiling. I used to buy Roomy Richard union made flannel shirts from Bud's, and when they were closing I bought every one in my size and a few others that I might "grow into." I still have a few, and I've yet to get a flannel shirt since that I like as well as the Roomy Richard. I will echo those who like Orvis flannels. Quality at a decent price.

When I saw this thread at the top, my first thought was "who's buying flannel shirts?! Its finally warm out." But now that I think about, right now is probably the BEST time to buy flannels on sale. Happy flannel hunting, guys!
Except for groceries, I hardly ever pay full price for anything. There is always a sale or a coupon. My best kept secret for new clothes buying is that you get a better deal and better quality waiting for department store sales than going to factory outlet malls. The factory outlets may be the same brand but they are either lower quality produced for the outlet or factory rejects. The key thing: the price will be less when the department store has a sale.

And buy mid-season when they start making room for the next season’s clothes so you can find your size. There are always so many smalls and XXL and above. No offense intended to anyone who wears those sizes.

Many years ago Bud's Store in Brant Rock, Massachusetts was going out of business. Bud's was the kind of place that sold seaworms, hardware, clothing, beach supplies, baked goods, auto parts, records and books, housewares, beer and wine, etc. A real general store. Items stacked from floor to ceiling. I used to buy Roomy Richard union made flannel shirts from Bud's, and when they were closing I bought every one in my size and a few others that I might "grow into." I still have a few, and I've yet to get a flannel shirt since that I like as well as the Roomy Richard. I will echo those who like Orvis flannels. Quality at a decent price.
Thats a good idea. You know how many times I have said to myself I should have bought more? Especially with shoes. I dont believe your shoe size ever changes. Even when the brand still exists, except in a few cases, the models of the shoes always change. And the price of shoes always seems to go up.

Top Bottom