What's new

Fixing a bent 1912 head?

So I have two different 1912 style razors now that I got off eBay, both of which have bent heads that weren't apparent in the photos. They both look like they were dropped on a hard floor at some point, causing the head to be bent to one side, sort of like a slant head razor.

In one case, I'm not sure if the damage was already existing, or happened during shipping: every vintage razor I've bought on eBay so far has arrived scarily underprotected in the exact same way: just loose in an envelope with a single thin scrap of cardboard taped around it for protection. The MMOC I started with was tanky enough for that to be maybe okay, but these 1912s I would not consider at all safe in that sort of packaging.

Is this a common problem? Is there a way to safely bend these back into shape? I don't want to just manhandle them, as I'd worry about damaging another area of the head while bending the bit I'm trying to fix.

Between the trend in bad packaging, and the difficulty in spotting bends like this in the auction photos (one of them was bent in the photos, but you wouldn't be able to spot it unless you already knew it was there, due to angles and perspective distortion in close ups), I'm starting to feel seriously gun shy about trying to buy any more of these online.

I've bought several 1912s and haven't run across this problem. 1912s are pretty solid, I don't think the head would bend if dropped. Dropped and then stepped on is more likely.

Pics would help. Is the head actually bent, or is the plate that the handle screws into bent? If the latter, it may be possible to bend it back.

In any case, you can contact the seller for recompense.

I've straightened a couple of them. I just used a pair of pliers and tweaked them back to straight. Pics would help for any tips or advice, like mentioned above it may be best to get a refund from the seller.

One of the best benefits of buying off the BST on Badger and Blade is that members are generally very clear about condition of razors. You might post a “want to buy” ad.

Top Bottom