What's new

Fishing Kayaks

While the city (and my life) was in lockdown I started viewing YouTube videos about fishing kayaks. People fishing or discussing their models, and showing how they “pimp” their kayaks out.
I became totally obsessed, and started researching everything I could find, even though I’ve never been in a kayak before. I was always around and owned boats, but never unpowered.
This obsession may die, or I may pursue it to fruition, but there are problems I need to resolve. I live in an apartment so I’ll need to find a place (garage) to keep it. Transportation? I considered car topping, but it would just be too heavy and bulky to strip down, load and unload four times a day, not to mention the damage to my car from the front and rear straps etc. I’ll need a boat trailer of some kind.
I’ve even decided what Kayak I would buy and a lot of the accessories.
Do any forum members own fishing Kayaks or have been thinking about it? I thought it might be fun to open a thread so we could talk about it.

This is the one I have decided on if it ever becomes a reality.
7D0A93C5-76C7-4063-AA6E-91C514821352.jpeg

E3BEF8AB-2B05-4E9A-B71F-47BBC1BE3FFD.jpeg

Last edited:
On the gotta do it when I get the money list. Solo skiff if one day they start making them again and Key West Kayak fishing / Florida wooden boat fishing are my regular

IMG_1812.JPG

This was mine the weekend before I sold it. You can definitely go crazy with the gear. At only 10' I could toss this one in the back of the truck with the tailgate down, use a couple bungy straps to secure it and go. It was light enough to easily portage in small streams by myself and wide enough to be sufficiently stable so that standing wasn't an issue on open water. I even had it rigged up for a trolling motor and depth finder.

It had seen better days before this final pic was taken. So has the owner - It's definitely a young man's game. It was a lot of fun when I was physically up to it but collected dust for a few years in the garage before I finally came to the realization the ride was over and basically gave it and the gear away to clear space in the garage. Not to be a kill joy but thought I'd mention this part.

🤔 I do have, but man, do I flip that thing! 🤣

Fish getter, yes, but you better be wearing a bathing suit...

AA
Really? I can’t be flipping over all the time. I’m 67 and plan to paddle and fish in some open water (Lake Ontario). Of course I won’t be out on the bigger water on rough or windy days. I’d stay inland in rivers when the lake is rough. I understand that you need a sense of balance in a kayak, but is it really as bad as you say? These fishing kayaks are a little wider and flatter bottomed than a canoe.

I decided that if I was going to get a kayak with pedals or a trolling motor, I might as well just get a boat with a small outboard. It might even be cheaper. The whole point of a kayak is it’s ease of moving through the water with a paddle.
Sea kayaks are the regular kind of kayak that you sit inside on the bottom. Not really good for fishing. I like the idea of just quietly paddling around and tossing lures along the shoreline…relaxing float fishing.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Really? I can’t be flipping over all the time. I’m 67 and plan to paddle and fish in some open water (Lake Ontario). Of course I won’t be out on the bigger water on rough or windy days. I’d stay inland in rivers when the lake is rough. I understand that you need a sense of balance in a kayak, but is it really as bad as you say? These fishing kayaks are a little wider and flatter bottomed than a canoe.

Mine is meant for fishing, but it's possible I'm a clutz. Getting in and out can be challenging. Once you're in, you're good.

Guy I bought it from fished with it, and he never flipped. It has a motor mount, but if you put a 12V battery in there and flip ... guy I knew did that with a jon boat, and when they tried to get the battery out, it was shocking them the whole way.

AA

Mine is meant for fishing, but it's possible I'm a clutz. Getting in and out can be challenging. Once you're in, you're good.

Guy I bought it from fished with it, and he never flipped. It has a motor mount, but if you put a 12V battery in there and flip ... guy I knew did that with a jon boat, and when they tried to get the battery out, it was shocking them the whole way.

AA
Do you remember what kind you had. Model, brand or picture? I want to know everything about everything.

go for it get it they also got inflatable ones to i had a cheapo model before my stroke it didnt last to long buut i made good use of it fishing spots that were illegal while it lasted and tresspassing tickets got to be to expensive. think of it this way to if your a lure fisherman just think all those perfect looking structure spots you see along the shore line but cant ever get to cause no foot access can be fished in a kayak:c1:

My first snag. It looks like a trailer will cost more than the Kayak.
I have a great solution for you. Inflatable!
I bought this thing and can't recommend it high enough. This model is a fishing kayak available as a one or two seater. It's got two rod holders, and a center mount for a fish finder etc!
What led me to it is I searched for "best inflatable kayaks for dogs" and it was #1 lol.
I'll tell you, I live a mile from the river, use it a ton, and get loads of compliments... people can't believe it's inflatable, it's solid, easily goes back in the bag, and I just leave it in my trunk. Setup is quick with the included pump, but I did buy a $15 electric pump with a cigarette lighter for the car.
They have cheaper ones, which my buddies bought, but cheaper is cheaper. They look and feel more like a pool raft. This thing is thick pvc, my lab jumps in and out of it on land, and claws his way back in when he jumps out for a swim on the river. 2 years old, and still looks brand new without so much as a scratch on it.
Here's the link to Amazon, I paid $169 in 2019, they go up and down, but check out intex site as they sell direct to consumer and are sometimes less expensive than Amazon.
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak, K2: 2-Person, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F88P35C/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_3XQ5SX03CY734SB9PQF2
FB_IMG_1602251349192.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Do you remember what kind you had. Model, brand or picture? I want to know everything about everything.

It's a discontinued Pelican model, I believe.

Conversely, I don't think I ever flipped a canoe, and I had a 12' and a 16' . Many good times / solo trips and fish in the 12'-er.

I even went once through a long tunnel under a highway (unwise, in retrospect) to emerge in a circular off-ramp lake, and it was full of fish, as it had a high fence around it. No kids could get in there. Traffic had to be saying, "Hey! Look at that guy!"

AA

I have a great solution for you. Inflatable!
I bought this thing and can't recommend it high enough. This model is a fishing kayak available as a one or two seater. It's got two rod holders, and a center mount for a fish finder etc!
What led me to it is I searched for "best inflatable kayaks for dogs" and it was #1 lol.
I'll tell you, I live a mile from the river, use it a ton, and get loads of compliments... people can't believe it's inflatable, it's solid, easily goes back in the bag, and I just leave it in my trunk. Setup is quick with the included pump, but I did buy a $15 electric pump with a cigarette lighter for the car.
They have cheaper ones, which my buddies bought, but cheaper is cheaper. They look and feel more like a pool raft. This thing is thick pvc, my lab jumps in and out of it on land, and claws his way back in when he jumps out for a swim on the river. 2 years old, and still looks brand new without so much as a scratch on it.
Here's the link to Amazon, I paid $169 in 2019, they go up and down, but check out intex site as they sell direct to consumer and are sometimes less expensive than Amazon.
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak, K2: 2-Person, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F88P35C/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_3XQ5SX03CY734SB9PQF2
View attachment 1403622
Okay. You’ve got me researching.
Without the need to buy a trailer and rent a garage I can afford the best. Deep research

You won't be sorry. They've been getting more and more expensive... probably sell it for more than you pay lol.
I noticed your stability concern, it's very stable. The dog climbing in doesn't throw it off balance a bit. I float it on the river bank, flop backwards into it, swing my feet in, and done. I also drop out of it on the middle of the river to cool off and climb back in easily. Telling ya, can't go wrong!

I’ve been researching inflatables and have 3-4 front runners. I think the biggest obstacle is fittings for add-ons such as rod holders. I might really like everything about a certain boat, but it just doesn’t offer many options, or they’re in the wrong place.
So far this Innova Halibut has got my attention. Oddly enough, it is made in the Czech Republic. Since it isn’t mainstream American there isn’t a lot of YouTube coverage and reviews. Just a few overall videos in Czech. They do have a distributor here in Toronto. They go for around CAN $1700.00
DB695067-BCC5-4C2D-A9A8-00B373C7B52E.jpeg

Top Bottom