What's new

First time sharpen to shave

Hello again B&B,

Figured Id post sort of an update to some of the happenings for my shave adventure the past few months. I laughed, I cried, I bled (only a little).

Way back some of you might remember I found a Puma straight for a very good deal and in great shape. I set it aside as it had a pretty nice nick in the edge and I didnt have the equipment to deal with it.

Then I bought the equipment.....

So after quite bit of time making a new edge and working my way through progressions, the razor shaved fairly well, but I feel the edge will get better once I have more practice honing razors. Not bad for a first go.

IMG_20191103_144457.jpg

Good to hear! For me, there's no better feeling in shaving than finding a neglected razor, restoring it to working order, honing it, and getting a great shave from it.

If you don't mind me asking, what progression did you use?

Good to hear! For me, there's no better feeling in shaving than finding a neglected razor, restoring it to working order, honing it, and getting a great shave from it.

If you don't mind me asking, what progression did you use?
I used a King combo stone 1k side followed by Naniwa 1k>King combo 6k side>nani 8k>nani 12k
I flattened and built slurry using a Atoma 400 plate.

I think working my way from a slurry on the 12k to just water is what i was missing. Jist need to spend a bit more time thinning it ou

Sorry, this is misstated. I left out the word not, hence the "use water only".
You should NOT slurry your 12k. There is no need.
If you have done your work up to 8k then water alone on the 12k will finish it in short order.

Slurry is not needed on synthetic hones. Just add water and have at it.

Aside from that, congrats. It's a good feeling when you can put a shave ready edge on your own razors. I haven't been at it long, but I use a very similar progression - shaptop 1.5k, naniwa 5k, 8k, 12k. If you do your part the Naniwas deliver consistent results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom