What's new

First three DE shaves

After years of cartridge shaving (with a couple of brief stints trying electric razors) I finally decided to get myself a DE razor. I settled on the Edwin Jagger DE89 as it had a lot of good reviews and when I saw it on sale at Shaverhut I pounced! Tuesday morning I was woken by a knock at the door where the nice Postman handed me a parcel containing an EJ DE89 Barley Chrome razor, a sampler pack of blades (Derby Extra, Wilkinson Sword, Shark Super Stainless, Astra Platinum, and Asco Super Stainless) and a Colonel Conk Styptic Pencil.

View attachment 670131

First shave: (Tuesday morning after showering.) I always shave after I shower, so my face was nice and clean and nicely hydrated. I soak my Omega 10065 brush while I shower. I popped one of the Derby blades that came with the razor in, making sure everything was lined up evenly. For this shave I used the Omega shaving cream (rebadged Proraso green if I am not mistaken) which I lathered up in the small bamboo bowl I picked up from IKEA. The first pass (WTG) was a shocker. I was too tentative, did not have a good angle and was probably too slow with my strokes. I took very little off and there was vast patches that were simply unshaven - one spot I did manage to get close (too close!) was on my neck and I am glad I ordered the styptic pencil! I rinsed of, re-lathered and tried again. Again I went WTG and had a slightly better angle but was still too tentative and slow. No nickels this pass however, so that was good. I rinsed off and lathered up for a third pass because there was still too much stubble. For the third pass I chickened out and reverted to my Gillette Fusion proglide with the multitude of blades, rotating ball thingy and vibrating motor attachment. (Does the vibration of those things actually achieve anything?) The clean up pass with the Gillette went well, but I felt like a fraud using it. :blush:

First Shave Verdict: I need a lot of practice! I had some razor burn on my lower neck and one nick plus a few teeny, tiny bleeders. Thank ghod I had the styptic!

Second Shave: (Wednesday morning after showering.) My second shave on Wednesday was a little bit better. I used some Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream and built up a good lather in my bowl. All lathered up I started my shave, again with the Derby blade. This time I vowed to be a little less tentative, whilst being mindful of my pressure. I managed to get a better angle for this second shave and was not quite so slow with my strokes. All in all this was a better experience than the day before. I was careful when shaving the area I nicked the day before, but naturally I re-nicked the nick I nicked, but it wasn't too bad. After the first pass I rinsed my face and it felt very patchy, but nowhere near as bad as after the first pass on Tuesday. Things were improving!

I lathered up for a second pass (WTG - I am not going to risk XTG or ATG until I have a few shaves under my belt) and that went reasonably well too. The final result was still a bit rough so again I reached for my trusty Gillette Pro-Glide Fusion Powerball for a clean-up pass.

Second shave verdict: Practice, practice, practice! Man I'm gonna need some practice at this. I again felt ashamed at reverting to the Gillette for my clean-up, but I just didn't feel confident that I could get a socially acceptable shave with the DE only just yet, and I needed to look (mildly) presentable in public. I again felt some razor burn on my lower neck and there were a couple of little bleeders, but the styptic pencil to the rescue! (Maybe I shoulda bought a bulk pack of those little blighters?)

Okay, I cheated completely and used the Gilette on Thursday because I was short on time.

Friday I did not shave at all.

Third Shave: (Saturday morning) This morning I tried again with the EJ DE and Derby blade combo. I had done a bit of reading on here and other sites and felt more confident that I could find the right angle this time. Before I started I took a Dove Beauty Bar and applied a little to the sensitive areas of my neck as a kind of pre-shave. I lathered up using the Nivea and took an extra minute or so just looking at the razor head and my face and lining things up. When I felt I had a good-ish angle I started my strokes and immediately it felt different. Shaving WTG I could feel more of the stubble being cut that the previous two efforts and it just felt like a smoother process overall. When I reached my neck, I shaved up for the bottom part, following the grain of my hair and I am not sure if it was the better angle, he different direction or the Dove soap, but it was a smoother process and I felt less irritation.

After the first pass I rinsed and felt my face - there were definitely fewer whiskers left than after the first couple of attempts, so I am improving! My second pass went as well as the first and overall I think I did a reasonable job. I felt confident enough to do a bit of a clean-up pass on the rough spots and didn't need to break out the Gillette 17-blade Fusion Pro-Glide out at all.

Third shave verdict: I still have some minor irritation on my lower neck, but much less than the previous two efforts. I had one small nick and a couple of tiny bleeders, but overall not a bad job. There are still a couple of rough patches under my jawline, under my nose and on my top lip, but all-in-all I feel confident that I won't be pointed and stared at when I go outside today. Well, not for my shaving at any rate. :tongue_sm

I will continue to work on getting my angles right, but I think I am on the right track here. Tomorrow I might try a different blade. Until I can get some proper pre-shave products I think I will keep using the Dove just to help with the troublesome areas on my neck. I definitely feel less irritation - whether that is a result of the Dove, a better angle or something else I don't really know, but using the Dove prolly won't hurt.

Nothing wrong with using a pre-shave soap, Arb. And there's nothing wrong with having a few false starts and cleaning up with a cart razor--at least in the beginning. I'm happy to hear that you are improving, and rest assured, you will get even better very quickly. Shaving is an acquired skill, like cricket, but the rules are MUCH easier to learn. The main points to remember are: good face preparation, good lather, proper angle, and no pressure. I think you are approaching this the right way, and it won't be long until you are shaving like a Pro (is there such a thing as a professional shaver?).

All in all you are doing pretty well I would say. I bought some pre shave oils in the beginning and found that I don't need to use them. I would be happy to send some along to you. PM me your address and I can get them out when the mail runs on Tuesday.

Sounds like things are coming along nicely. I occasionally use some Shave Secret oil I found at Walmart for about $4 as a pre-shave oil. I have used it to shave successfully by itself with my EJ de86bl, but only when I don't want to do the bowl and lather treatment(not often). It does take a bit to map your face, but once you do you can smash a great shave out pretty easily. Keep up the good work.

All in all you are doing pretty well I would say. I bought some pre shave oils in the beginning and found that I don't need to use them. I would be happy to send some along to you. PM me your address and I can get them out when the mail runs on Tuesday.
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'll politely decline at the moment. I'm hoping the irritation is just a temporary thing until I get used to DE shaving so I'll persist with the Dove for the time being. :001_cool:

--
arb

Keep up the good work :thumbup1:
NB-​ The Wilkinson Sword blades should be the sharpest ones there- if you don't like them, don't judge Wilkinson Sword too harshly............
The ones with the yellow insert are Italian made - I use the ones with the white insert which are made in Germany and knock spots off the Italian ones

Nothing wrong with using a pre-shave soap, Arb. And there's nothing wrong with having a few false starts and cleaning up with a cart razor--at least in the beginning. I'm happy to hear that you are improving, and rest assured, you will get even better very quickly. Shaving is an acquired skill, like cricket, but the rules are MUCH easier to learn. The main points to remember are: good face preparation, good lather, proper angle, and no pressure. I think you are approaching this the right way, and it won't be long until you are shaving like a Pro (is there such a thing as a professional shaver?).
I think you are right - cricket is much easier to learn. :001_tongu

I'll keep plugging along slow and easy, trying to build a consistency in my routine. When I get a chance to raid a shaving shop or two I might load up on some better products, but what I have right now seems to be working okay. ;)

--
arb

[MENTION=111000]justarb[/MENTION] You have a great assessment of what you are doing! Keep up the good work! I do want to mention though...and I think you have it already...but don't worry too much about having stubble left after the first or second pass. After all...this type of shaving is about beard reduction. After the third pass, if there are still some spots, then you can address them with a touch up. There is definitely a learning curve in all of this, so don't be discouraged. As far as your neck goes...that will take a bit more learning. Keep at it...you are doing just fine.

Welcome - I hope you become a Wilkinson Wanderer, a Wilkinson Wiseguy, a Walzer with Wilk'o' :thumbup: , there aren't enough of us around. :001_cool: [MENTION=108689]adamchur[/MENTION] is quite right, the German made ones are far better, my favourite Stainless Steel blade. I still get some irritation, but nothing compared to my early DE days, and nothing compared with cartridges or electric sheep shearers.
What I now call "severe" irritation, is what - with a mach3 or an electric - I would've called "the best shave of my life". It's so light compared with what I used to get, and is better for your face/skin/health generally. Good shaving is the centre of "grooming", and a good shave gets you half way between Ballerat and Bendigo.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

You got some good advice above. Keep working on the razor angle and before you know it you'll be getting great shaves.

Welocome! You'll be surprised in a few more shaves how far you've come. I suggest sticking with the Derby blades for the mext several shaves. This will allow you to get your technique dialed in. Changing blade brands right out the gate might throw things off. Also, 3 shaves max with those Derbys.[emoji6]

Thanks for the generous offer, but I'll politely decline at the moment. I'm hoping the irritation is just a temporary thing until I get used to DE shaving so I'll persist with the Dove for the time being. :001_cool:

--
arb

No problem and good luck. :001_smile

@justarb You have a great assessment of what you are doing! Keep up the good work! I do want to mention though...and I think you have it already...but don't worry too much about having stubble left after the first or second pass. After all...this type of shaving is about beard reduction. After the third pass, if there are still some spots, then you can address them with a touch up. There is definitely a learning curve in all of this, so don't be discouraged. As far as your neck goes...that will take a bit more learning. Keep at it...you are doing just fine.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll keep working at it but I am already seeing some improvement after only a handful of shaves. :wink2:

Hello and welcome to B&B. You are on your way to better shaves. Keep up the good work and enjoy. BTW, the vibrating Fusion Pro glides in my opinion have a tendency of gathering more hair and soap and it gets "stuck" in between the blades which make it hard to rinse out all the way. I think they do that to make you swap them out faster. Well that's my two cents.

@justarb I've only had two shaves and with those, I've just gone WTG; working on learning to keep my strokes short and pressure light.
Sounds like you're doing a good job with your plan, keep it up!

Hello and welcome to B&B. You are on your way to better shaves. Keep up the good work and enjoy. BTW, the vibrating Fusion Pro glides in my opinion have a tendency of gathering more hair and soap and it gets "stuck" in between the blades which make it hard to rinse out all the way. I think they do that to make you swap them out faster. Well that's my two cents.
I think you may be on to something there - the Fusion blades don't seem to last terribly long and they do gunk up way too quickly for my liking. :001_tongu

Well today's shave (my fourth DE shave) went much better!

Even though I am sure there are a few shaves left in the Derby blade I started out with I decided to put a new one in just to be sure. In a slight change to my usual routine I used a Palmolive Shave Stick. Because I am flying in a couple of weeks I don't want to carry my tube of Nivea just in case the TSA confiscate it. I figured it might pay to try shaving with a solid shave stick and if that works for me I will take it with me. :001_smile After my shower, while my face was still wet I applied the shave stick directly to my face then face lathered with my trusty Omega 10065. The lather built up very nicely so I will definitely be taking the stick on my trip. :thumbup1:

My first pass with WTGand was the best first pass I have had so far. It removed a good amount of my whiskers and there were no nicks or cuts this time! :thumbup: I rinsed and lathered up for a second WTG pass and managed to get most of the remaining stubble. Another rinse and a quick clean up pass (this time XTG - I'm getting braver!) and I am ready to face the outside world! :001_cool:

I think I am getting the hang of this caper after all. I'm still not getting quite as close as my old Gillette money-sink got, but it is getting there. I still have some mild irritation at the base of my neck and I now know where the trouble spots are - under my jawline seems to need a little more attention. I think I need to spend a bit of time working on my angles and pulling the skin taut to get at that spot.

I wouldn't call this a DFS just yet, but I can see a DFS coming my way in the near future! :thumbup1:

--
arb

Top Bottom