What's new

First thoughts on Dorco ST 301 Platinum blades

Second shave this morning with a Dorco ST 301 New Platinum (red insert) blade in a 70's SuperSpeed.

Not as sharp as an Astra, but I can shave with it if I'm careful. Tugs if I don't keep the angle low on my chin, but the chin is the most difficult part of my face to shave anyway. Takes a full three passes and some buffing, but I got a very close, irritation free shave even over the nasty nick I gave myself a couple days ago the first time I used the blade (must have twitched or something, dug out a nice chunk of skin).

If the blade stays like this for a while, it's not a bad blade. Nothing like a Derby, for sure -- takes a bit of work and isn't the sharpest blade around, but the end result is fine and multiple passes do not cause irritation.

I'd rather have a sharper blade, but if all I had available I wouldn't hate shaving with them. Something to be said for a blade that doesn't cut you and gives a nice clean shave, even if it's not "like there isn't a blade in the razor". I can feel this one working, that's for sure, but it's not really unpleasant, just noticeable. Can't do an ATG pass to start with, but I can live with that in return for no nicks or weepers.

I will eventually try them in a more aggressive razor and see if they are smoother, but I won't mind using up the ones I bought, unless someone wants to trade them for Astra SPs or something similar....

Peter

Hey Dan.! There is an old review on here that says the Dorco ST300 & the ST301 are the same blade I think? I get smooth shaves from the ST300 so, they are OK by me.

Hi - I've yet to find a blade that I can go atg with first pass and not get major irritation. For me de shaving is all about "reduction". I think I'm right in saying that the difference between the two blades is only the packaging - same blade.

The 300 and 301 used to be quite different blades (different edge grind, for instance), but since the advent of the "New Platinum" label I don't know. I suspect they are different, probably in the same way.

I can see where a person would be unlikely to like this blade, it's at the margin of too dull for me. If you like Derbys, Dorco's are a great alternative, if Derby's pull badly for you, you won't like Dorco's much better.

Haven't tried the Prime blades, yet, but they are supposed to be sharper. If they are I suspect I will like them.

I can do a first pass ATG with Astra blades, and always did the first past ATG with cartridges and injector. With my beard, WTG passes don't remove much.

Peter

Last edited:
Hey Dan.! There is an old review on here that says the Dorco ST300 & the ST301 are the same blade I think? I get smooth shaves from the ST300 so, they are OK by me.

That's cool fast shaver. I will go back and see how I'd feel about the blades now. For me I had to do too many passes and a lot of pulling and tugging.

Glad these blades work for you! For me they come in a bit below average. With blades it is YMMV in the extreme!

Top Bottom