What's new

First straight shave a success (sort of :)

Hi guys,

Just completed my first straight razor shave last night. I absolutely loved it! Talk about being scared to death. There's definitly going to be a learning curve. I only went WTG and then finished up w/ a DE. But, I absolutely see how this can be so addicting. There's just this awesome feeling about holding a piece of metal to your face knowing that it can do some damage with even the slightest loss of concentration or lack of respect for the blade.

I purchased a very nice Wapi from Life2short1971 to begin my journey. You can see pics of it in the Nerdman rescale thread. I also have a Filly beginner's strop.

My first real concern is stropping technique. I've watched videos. But, all that kind of goes away when you actually put the blade against the leather.
I was wondering if it is ok to put the strop on something flat (coffee table, etc.) to help make the process easier. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to maintain proper stropping technique and battle keeping the strop tight.

Anyway. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to introduce myself. Oh, and SRAD is real...and it is very serious :).

Welcome to B&B, and congrats on a sucessful first straight shave :thumbup1:

It is kinda scary in the beginning, but there is, as you say a awasome feeling to shave with a straight, and it only gets better, just remember to not relax too much so that you loose focus and consentration, that hurts!

There's no problem to lay your strop on a flat surface, many recommend it to beginners, it will be just like using a paddle strop.

And yes SRAD is very serious, I got my first straight in November, now I got 18 :blush:

Good luck with your future shaves!

I was wondering if it is ok to put the strop on something flat (coffee table, etc.) to help make the process easier. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to maintain proper stropping technique and battle keeping the strop tight.

Just watch out that you don't make contact with the surface that you have the strop on... you don't want to ruin your edge.

Just watch out that you don't make contact with the surface that you have the strop on... you don't want to ruin your edge.

:thumbup1:

I tie the ring for my strops to the corner post of my bed at waist height. Whenever I felt the need of that flat surface crutch, it was just a 90 degree slide of the ring to the cross bar that was perfect for acting as a paddle strop.

Keeping the strops on the bedpost keeps them out of the humid bathroom, just a couple steps away.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Excellent work!

Welcome to the B, and congrats on that first straight shave. Just keep going along slow and easy and you'll be fine. Your technique will improve with each shave. :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just use a light hand when stropping. Even if you keep your strop on a flat surface (or use a paddle strop), too much pressure will dull your edge. The motion will become second nature before you know it.

Top Bottom