What's new

First SR shave

awsome to see how someone elses routine evolves . mine is completely fluid st this point. congrats man!

Thanks @Kooldecker! Fluid is a good place to be in both learning skill and shave routine. Once we get set, it’s hard to become imaginative outside that box. Better to have experienced a good bit before that happens!

Shave #88 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade (6), RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade (6), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, and Fine American Blend AS to finish!

I had all I can stands and I can’t stands no more! I wanted a barbershop shave stat...and it had to be finished with a truckload of Fine AB! So that’s exactly what I did!

Really great shave this morning. Hard to complain when you have products like these to work with! CBL...elite soap pulled its weight today, even with some good amount of “chasing the babies” as Rich puts it; almost not alum sting at all. To cap the shave, I blasted myself with what was left of my Fine AB sample...so nice!

Long day at church today, service this morning (we’re doing an all church worship where we encourage all 3 normal services to show up to today’s single service in the large Sanctuary). There will be a huge bbq and lunch afterward, then I have a few meetings to attend. Hoping to get a couple chores done today and a little more of my teaching done for Thursday morning.

Having a really fun time reliving the COD4 memories! RDO is proving a bit of a challenge, between the upkeeps, and inflated economy, but getting some good items provides a nice goal setting, even if it’s a bit grindy.

Everything incoming appears to still be on schedule, I cannot wait to see what tomorrow holds!

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #89 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (1), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and Fine American Blend to finish!

Darn mailman took forever today! Shave was really nice for a shave of many firsts. Supply razor was quite smooth, the jury is still out on the Supply blades. TSC Groot brush and SV 70th soap performed perfectly. Brush should defunk pretty quickly I think.

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #90 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (2), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

Another excellent shave today, only one minor nick and a bit of alum sting.

I did do a Dawn/vinegar/warm water soak of the TSC brush last night, as well as a lathering with a heavy rose scented soap; it got rid of quite a bit of the funk, but there is still a tad hanging on, most coming out of the deep base of the knot. That will take a bit of time to clear. Only a couple hairs shed today. Overall, still very happy with the brush. Lathers and holds like a champ. Seems best suited to paintbrush strokes right now.

The SV 70th...what’s to say? Solid soap, great fresh scent (which I’m getting more of now that the badger funk is waning). Definitely top tier for an all natural, veggie soap. I would not have known, without being told, that this had no tallow in it.

The Supply Injector was much smoother today. I think, as some have already pointed out, it’s the blades that are iffy. So far the blades seem to have improved over the first shave though. The razor is otherwise very comfortable, easy to whip around the face. The 2-dot plate is smooth, but just aggressive enough that you still have to watch your pressure. The only angle that I have trouble with, because of the head size, is the WTG under the nose swipe. The area is easily cleared though with a more XTG angled swipe.

Back to work today. Volleyball games begin Friday. Still working on my Thursday teaching. Should be a busy week!

Happy Tuesday all!

Shave #91 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (3), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and RR The Stallion AS to finish!

Shave results were good today. I’m going to try swapping to a new blade tomorrow. This one has really smoothed out for the WTG and XTG passes, but just feels rough on the ATG/XTG hybrid.

Today I forwent my lather soak to keep the lather in my brush for a few hours as I continue to defunk it. I think it is just about ready. No shed hairs this shave, as far as I could see.

Out to coffee with the missus soon, then back to work on the teaching, work work later.

Have a good hump day all!

Shave #92 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (1), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and Barbasol PR AS to finish!

Just a quick entry as I head out the door to go do bible study.

I switched out the Supply blade last night. Shave was a little more smooth today, but that ATG continues to be a little harsh. I am continuing to give things the benefit of the doubt and chalking it up to it still being my 4th injector shave ever. The WTG and XTG are still pretty smooth though. Maybe I’m just losing my angle ATG?

Figured Barbasol PR wouldn’t bowl over the seniors today, so I threw that on. I may try a couple sprays of Stirling Glastonbury before heading back out to work later.

Happy Thursday all!

Shave #92 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (2), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and Stirling Black Pepper & Lime AS to finish!

Great shave today. The Black Pepper & Lime was a great way to close the shave.

This time I was very mindful of my razor angle, especially on my hybrid ATG/XTG pass. I literally had the shallowest angle possible almost the entire pass, with the majority of the injector head/face on my skin. That did seem to smooth things out quite a bit. Still, the blade was a bit harsh or maybe sharp without being smooth? I don’t know. Today was an overall improvement regardless.

It’s going to be a long, super busy weekend. The missus head out of town today for a weekend women’s retreat in Tahoe. Some good friends will take care of the kids today while I’m working, but tomorrow they have to come with me all day and hang out at the church.

A couple big events going on this weekend do work, so I’ll be pretty pooped come Sunday. Definitely need to take care of the yard again if the weather holds.

Happy Friday all! I can’t believe another week is gone...

Shave #93 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (3), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Wouldn’t have been much of a week if it didn’t include a little bay rum!

Another great shave today with the Supply injector! Not nearly as harsh as the beginning of the week.

Only one concerning thing in the shave today...brush is still losing a few hairs during each shave. I hope that stops soon, I really love the way the knot feels and it’s pretty much totally defunked now.

Busy day ahead at work and the kids get to tag along for the day. It’ll be great for them...plenty of snacks, shows to watch, and games to play, but a few big things going on for me and no early closing today (sadface).

I did get a bottom shelf bourbon yesterday to try out, Jim Beam Extra Black, as I've never really delved into tasting different liquors by themselves. I like smooth drinks that aren’t too dry or bitter. Jim Beam is supposed to be pretty mass appeal entry level I guess. It was nice. Good hint of spice and nice quick mellow out after the sip. Tried a couple sips neat then a couple with a splash of cold water mixed in. Not quite as sweet as I was hoping, but not bad. Further testing tonight post work
upload_2019-4-6_9-49-48.gif

Have a great Saturday all!

Shave #94 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (plate 2), Supply Injector blade (4), Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Fine AB AS, and Fine AB EdT to finish!

Solid Sunday morning shave; I’m totally barbershopped up and lovin’ it!

Whipped up a nice, slick lather with the CBL Barbershop, perfect catalyst for 3 smooth passes. Slathered on the full compliment of Fine American Blend juice...I can’t smell myself enough!

Got everyone up a bit early today since the oldest had has to work the tech booth at the modern services. The missus gets home this afternoon from retreat, I’ve got some yard work to take care of, then we’ve got to catch up on some relaxation I think - starting with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse which I grabbed on Blu-Ray!

Except for Monday’s video, I think I’m going to split this week trying out the other Supply plates to see how those do.

Have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #95 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade, Sorrentino SE TSC 1st Anniversary badger brush, CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout soap, generic witch hazel, and Ogalalla Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

Tackling the No Handle Shave Challenge today...with good humor!

Video is up on the Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log.

Shave #96 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (3-dot aggressive plate), Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Vito’s Extra Super soap, generic witch hazel, and Old Spice AS (modern) to finish!

Kids are off to school and the shave is had. Nice one today, though I must have been a bit heavy handed with the injector. There isn’t much visible irritation but I can feel it in my skin. This plate is probably good for shavers who’s growth comes in more quickly or who take days off in between shaves. I’ll be trying the mild plate tomorrow I think!

Out to date coffee with the missus in a little while.

Should be a relatively kick back day at work today.

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #102 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot mild plate), Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s BR AS to finish!

Realized my shave count was way off today, I haven’t skipped a single day of shaving so far...fixed.

Bay Rum-ed it up this morning! Shiver me timbers it was a nice shave. Everything felt smooth and hydrated this time and end result with the 1-dot plate is much improved over yesterday.

Yesterday ended up being super busy at work, today will be no exception. Today are volleyball games on one end of the campus and a large choral concert on the other. Can’t believe almost another week has passed!

Have a great Friday all!

Shave #103 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot mild plate), Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SC Commitment soap, generic witch hazel, and Pitralon Classic AS to finish!

I am so tired this morning! Yesterday wasn’t just busy, it was a monster evening as the concert got underway. College age and high school choirs, many more bodies than we though singing and in attendance, started 30 minutes late, left a giant clean up...ugh!

That’s enough about that. Today’s a new day and I get to go in early and close early. Except for getting the campus ready for services, it should be an OK day.

Shave went well. I pulled out another seldom used soap, the SC Commitment, a nice, pretty much one note wood/sandalwood. Not nearly on the level of SV (both being vegan) but still a good soap.

I’m really enjoying this 1-dot plate; I think it might be the plate I use most often. The Supply blade has mellowed out quite a bit and is, dare I say it, comfortable even? I think the plate has a hand in that too.

Off to the grinder soon!

Have a great Saturday all! Pour a little extra for me this evening!

Shave #104 (273 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade, TSC 1st Anniversary Badger brush, Elite Puke Puck soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Terre D’Hermes frag to finish!

Up early this morning to get the kids and missus to church. Kids are in choir and missus has to open the coffee bar. Today, on the Church calendar, is Palm Sunday to celebrate what is called Jesus’ triumphal entry in to Jerusalem (Matthew 21), the beginning of Holy Week.

Opted to just take in the Game Changer this morning as I am bleary eyed and thoroughly pooped. Excellently smooth shave after a refreshing shower. The GC has no equal in my den for its smoothness right now. A few spritzes of the precious Terre D’Hermes sample of which I have less than half left and I’m feelin good.

Last night after work, there was just enough light left (almost) to bang out the lawn, I think I missed a few spots as the light faded, but one less thing to do later today!

This morning I was reminded and felt blessed to enjoy the things I have. Plenty of folks have it much worse.

Thanks for reading and have a blessed Sunday all!

Shave #105 (274 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, LNHC Coconut Oud soap, generic witch hazel, Man Dom AS, and Ferragamo Uomo frag to finish!

Video is up on the ‘Tube - GearNoir’s Shave Log!

Shave #106 (274 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot plate), Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, SV 70th Anniversary soap, generic witch hazel, Pitralon Classic AS, and Le Labo Bergamote 22 frag to finish!

Already at work a little while. Got to open today as the normal opener requested the day off. Nice, freshening shower and shave this morning with the Supply and the SV 70th. Only one little nick that closed up almost instantly.

Ended up having another long day out yesterday. Kids are on Spring Break this week. We decided to spend the afternoon and evening up in Folsom/Rocklin area. Went to a fun little indoor “zoo” and hands on exploration type place - fish, ray tanks, small sharks, some reptiles, birds, and other stuff. Great fun for the kids. Had an ice cream treat then took them to see Dumbo. I did not enjoy the movie honestly, it was pretty flat in story and acting, but everyone else seemed to like it. Finished up with dinner at In-N-Out...still probably the best quick hamburger I’ve ever eaten, with animal fries of course! So in all a good day with the family!

Work should be easy today, with things ramping up in the next few days as Easter approaches.

Happy Tuesday all!

Shave #107 (275 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, Yaqi SF synth brush, CBL 50 SOV soap, Bay & Aloe witch hazel blend, and Pinaud Citrus Musk splash on cologne to finish!

Nice shave this morning, with a return to the ol 2 open blade / 1 DE split in passes.

Skin feels pretty decent, though I did miss a couple clean up spots. No irritation of nicks today.

The bay/aloe/witch hazel experiment seems to have all blended in just fine after sitting the night. Went on really slick. Little bit of a smell from the aloe gel used, but a bit more bay rum should fix that. Face feel? More testing required! It was not a failure at least!

Tomorrow is Maundy Thursday service in the modern worship space in the evening, so much of my day at work will be spent getting the grounds ready for that and beginning to ready the main sanctuary space for Good Friday and Easter Sunday services.

Have a great Wednesday all!

Shave #108 (276 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Feather AC SS folding, Feather Pro blade, RR Game Changer .68, Rapira blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Scheermonnik Delfts Wit soap, Bay & Aloe witch hazel blend, and Myrsol Formula K AS to finish!

Nice shave this morning after resetting my hair (same style but seriously shortened up everything) for the summer and a refreshing shower.

Today was my second use of my witch hazel concoction. Last night I added some Osage and a bit more Bay Rum. Both scents still fade to the background, but are present. The scent is mostly earthy and witch hazel right now...but my face feels great at the moment! No alum, no moisturizer.

Going to get up into the 80s today...eww. Work in a few hours...eww.

Maundy Thursday service this evening and a few meetings on campus. Not too much going on today otherwise though.

Have a great Thursday all!

Shave #109 (276 Open Blade Shaves) of 2019:

Gear: Supply Injector (1-dot plate), Supply blade, RR Big Bruce synth brush, Tabac soap, Bay & Aloe witch hazel blend, and Pinaud Cluman Fresh home blend AS to finish!

Enjoying my selection of razors right now. Another great shave today.

Decided to pull out another classic that hasn’t seen use in many months...Tabac! It’s not my favorite scent but I’m not drastically abhorred by it like some. The performance is pretty darn good for a classic - great cushion, decent slickness, and near elite post shave feel.

Used more of the aloe/BR/Osage/witch hazel blend today, the bay rum is just getting lost sadly, even the Osage is minimal. I think I’ve nailed down the scent though...it smells much like generic witch hazel did the first weeks I used it daily. It has a very earthy, dirt, plant extract kind of scent. Witch hazel has since become scentless to me for the most part, but this mix has brought it back. The hint of Osage and BR to help temper that. It’s certainly bearable for the face feel I’m getting, and the scent is not lasting beyond 10 minutes or so. Going to keep increasing the Osage/BR components to continue testing.

Finished the shave off with a heavy Don-sized glug of my Pinaud Fresh mixture. Excellence!

Good Friday service this evening at work...but pretty slow up until that point, only a couple other meetings. Wore shorts to work for the first time yesterday. The weather for the next week is supposed be sunny and mid 80s...sigh. Love shorts, hate summer weather.

Have a good Friday all!

Top Bottom